Too much smoke at low RPM-1/2 throttle

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
As it says I get lots of smoke if I forget to downshift [at 1800-2300] and try to accelerate. Is it common with an RC5 to overfuel in these conditions. Do I need to get it remapped in this range? I have the IQ set at 4.6, which seems to have the best power and mileage.

Last edited:

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
You might want to check with IndigoBlueWagon, who has a very similar build and has a wealth of experience with RC tunes. I know he runs PP520 on a similar setup so maybe you have too much fuel.

On a general note, seems like your build is kind of top end oriented. You might be expecting too much at that low of RPM. The boost has not caught up to the fueling.

In the mean time you have lots of adjustment left on your IQ, or you can just remember to downshift!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well lots of smoke is relative. I have RC4 with PP520s and if i punch it at 2200 rpm the fuel pump beats out the boost by a few milliseconds and there is a puff of smoke. Once they are synchronized not much smoke at all. Now if I do the half throttle and increase throttle incrementally I get very little smoke. But X2 on IndigoBlueWagon as he not only races his car he is the entrepreneur who started IDparts.

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
IBW is deff. the man to answer this best. If you could bolt it to an ALH, he has done it. Then broke it, put it back on a dyno, then tortured it @ a track day.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Sounds normal to me. Hammering it at 1800rpm with a build like that should smoke fairly good. Don't forget to downshift.