Kerma OMI

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Keep an eye on those connection hoses! With an engine cover on they look like they could melt from the heat!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Kinda gross looking.... How oil and heat resistant are those hoses?

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Kinda gross looking.... How oil and heat resistant are those hoses?
more like completely disgusting, i know. the hose is only rated to 500F.
I don't know where to get anything different.
Suggestions?
It's not 3/4" ID nor 1" ID for the CCV puck. something in between.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
On my ancient original Oldman intake, all you did was drill a hole (1-1/4", IIRC) in roughly OEM position then used a grommet. The original fitting plugged right in to the grommet ID. Sure looks cleaner...

Maybe you could do the same... Rotate and plug your 'faux' flex pipe.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
On my ancient original Oldman intake, all you did was drill a hole (1-1/4", IIRC) in roughly OEM position then used a grommet. The original fitting plugged right in to the grommet ID. Sure looks cleaner...

Maybe you could do the same... Rotate and plug your 'faux' flex pipe.
I never liked that setup. If the hole wasnt in exactly the right spot the grommet would get uneven side loading pressure and would tear allowing a dirt/air leak. Not good for turbo blades.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I guess I've never seen a bad install, just mine. You have the advantage of seeing many cars and things. Mapping the hole beforehand wasn't terribly difficult.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Mine is working out very nicely.

While I was at it, I trimed the N18/N75 bracket and got rid of the EGR vacuum hoses, ASV, N18 solenoids, and vacuum resevoir. Looks much cleaner. I'm still trying to decide if removing the vacuum resevoir made any difference. I drove the car one day with it removed and all seems good.

scott_eh

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
My OMI...

Just an update on this, I just installed my Kerma OMI and it now comes with a hose for the CCV. I think it's supposed to be for running to a catch can or something because it's not a perfect fit, but I rotated the CCV valve and with just a very slight (and unrestrictive) kink in the hose, it reaches the sensor/heater thing just fine. Looks cleaner than anything I would have hacked together myself :rolleyes:
Install was pretty easy, only thing to note is that it was tough getting the plug for the heater to run over to its new location by the MAF. The wiring is in a sheath that also has the wiring for the ASV solenoid plug. I just had to remove some of the sheath and pull the wires out so that it would reach. It's still a bit tight but it works.

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
Very good update, has anyone used the all silicone omi they sell? One piece silicone with the ccv nipple in the correct location and runs continuous all the way to the maf

alphadrex

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
I know this is an old thread, but can anyone tell me what the pipe diameter is for the new style Kerma OMI? I need to know what size silicone 90 degree reducer hose I need to install on a VNT 15. I'm ordering the OMI with the 90 degree for a 17/22 because I'm planning a turbo upgrade in the next couple months, but in case I get anxious and want to install it right away, I wanna know what size hose I need.
Secondly, has anyone installed the Kerma OMI with their new style intake manifold? I want to know if there are clearance issues or any other install issues I may run into. Thanks for the help y'all.

alphadrex

VWdrummer

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi Wagon
I had to cut the intake just behind the hole that was made in it from the fabricator and ran their catch can and it all runs very well. I can post a pic later tonight.

alphadrex

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
Called them on the 5th, I didn't ask the diameter, I was just gonna order it and be done with it and just wait to put it on, but they said the pipe itself was about 3 weeks out, and they had to check with the warehouse to see if they even have any silicone hoses left. I told them fine, and asked them to call back as soon as they know, still haven't heard back...probably gonna call them tomorrow again. The Kerma intake doesn't leave much room and from the looks of it, I don't think the idparts one will fit. Thanks anyway.

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
I need to take a few pictures of my setup. I used a piece of mandrel bent 2.5" and 2 silicone fittings. Used a piece of angle iron and the bolt of one of the T clamps to mount it. Cost me around $75 and works just fine.

Va6tmy

TDI
None
I installed the previous gen Kerma TDI OMI in my ALH New Beetle. Because of tighter fitment in the Beetle engine bay I recommend removing the EGR Cooler and perform a race pipe upgrade, if not done already. I actually reused and trimmed a stock coolant hose to connect the CCV puck to the T-Connector hose. I also rotated the CCV puck to make the hose shorter, and altered gently the CCV heating device so it connects to the OMI. Lots of mods to accommodate another mod.

Caddysmack

TDI
2003 jetta, 2004 jetta, 1990 Corrado, lots of caddy's
Exactly. What is the point of hacking up your **** to install an overpriced tube? :confused:
I didn't have to hack anything up as you can see in my pictures that I posted in this thread.

Mine are both 2.75" diameter and reduce to 2.25" at the turbo end where the elbow slides over. for a vnt15 it looks like you would need a 2.25" id to 1.75" reducing elbow.