Any help appreciated

TDI
2004 mk4 gttdi
Hi all firstly id like to say I'm new to the TDI scene anyway have recently just purchased a 2004 mk4 GT TDI PD130 up for less than £300 but there seems to be power steering fluid leaking from the gator on the steering arm closest to wheel. Does anyone know the possible cause and what would be the best solution I not worried about putting some money into it as apart from that she's an absolute gem. Any help would be very appreciatd

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
only really one answer to a leaking steering rack: replacement
nobody seems to take apart racks to rebuild them, everyone just buys cheap remans from overseas
I'd get a used factory one from the junkyard before getting a new reman, the quality just isn't there on the new part

rack's relatively easy to get at on these, so at least there's that, just drop the k-member and it's right there easy peasy

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
rebuilding them is not difficult. just a bunch of o'rings and you can make or buy them easily. getting it out is the trick, but you have to do that anyways. plenty of people still rebuild them. I do

TDI
2004 mk4 gttdi
rebuilding them is not difficult. just a bunch of o'rings and you can make or buy them easily. getting it out is the trick, but you have to do that anyways. plenty of people still rebuild them. I do
Would this be doable with just a standard set of tools and would you have a link to where to get the o rings from please

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Go and buy yourself a 2nd hand steering rack and put genuine power steering fluid in it, it will last a long while...I wouldnt bother much with rebuilds, i have used many types and none lasted longer than a few years...genuine ones last 20 years or more !

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Would this be doable with just a standard set of tools and would you have a link to where to get the o rings from please
Normal tools plus a ring clip pliers. Some rags.
Seal kit can be had easily.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
If the arms are worn then a seal kit wont do jack ! Look for genuine 2nd hand steering rack and dont look back. Just done one on a mk4 bora, replacement refurbished steering rack leaked like a sieve after a few days, put a mk4 genuine used one in and no problem so far. Many leak due to wrong fluid as it sweals the seals but many are worn, so machining work is needed to bring sealing/bearing surfaces witin specs...