Fuel cuts out while going up hill

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Same here. I’m an essential personnel but we’re currently on orders to avoid contact with others in our group and have to stay at home until called.

If you hook the EGR back up it may fix the problem until you can delete it properly.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Oh that EGR was thrown away long ago. Do you suspect that it's the EGR and not a hoe/crack in the intercooler/piping?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Right-o thank you.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Old boost rubber flex joint just above the intercooler was the culprit, issue is no more.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I just drove up the hill to my parents place last weekend. Set it on cruise on a long straight flat bit of road that leads up to the initial hill, once I started climbing the same problem occurred. Rpm started dropping to 2k. I put my pedal to the floor and no response. Ill try to get more logs this weekend.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Latest MAP MAF Throttle position graph. This was a long straight pull up a hill, starting at 65mph 2250rpm and you can see no response when I put my foot on the throttle a few times.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
bump for more input?

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
The problem was fixed after you replaced the boost hose and now has resurfaced? If so, it kind of points to another boost leak of some kind, doesn't it?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Granting IDK what the scales are but just looking at the data logging it appears that your manifold pressure isn't responding to throttle, which is a bit odd, unless BigAndy is right and you have another leaky hose that's shown up or a hole in the tank of the cooler.

I'd probably start pulling rubber hoses, check my clamps and clean all the plastic / aluminum surfaces with some serious degreaser, like brake clean. Ideally you would pull the outbound from the turbo and plug it, then plug the inlet at the intake, and pressurize it some to see where the problem shows up.

Is your red hose from the N75 to the turbo still connected? I replaced all my vacuum lines with nylon colored hose, except for the ends, on the red one the vacuum connection at the turbo failed after getting too oily and too hot I think. Replaced it a few years back with 1/8" fuel line, which is much more resistant.

Steve

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
The red hose is still connected, although it looks like there is a bit of fraying cloth where it attaches to the n75. The odd part is that the cut out, no throttle response we occurred only while going up hills. Not on flat ground.

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
I'm guessing you don't have a boost guage installed? If not, get one (and not the one with a vacuum/boost combo but just pressure - run a line using a t fitting from the existing line at intake pipe from the intercooler to inside the cabin so you can watch what's happening with boost - you can 'tape' it in place on the dash - makes it easier to drive than trying to watch a laptop.

Then see what pressure it reads as you climb the hill and then note when the car looses power and what happens to the boost level.

Maybe it's a fuel thing - maybe it's a boost thing - sounds like a boost issue if fixing the hose did the trick the first time.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I do have a boost log from the same drive ill put up.