First DSG Service

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Great instructions.

So you simply used ramps and didn't bother to level it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yes don't fuss with all that leveling and such. Just drain button it up and refill with 4.6L of fluid and forget about it every thing will be alright.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Great instructions.

So you simply used ramps and didn't bother to level it?
<snip>
Yep. I just used my Rhino Ramps. Everything underneath was easy to get to, and the most work under there was getting the belly pan off and back on.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
It's weird in all the parts and threads over the years regarding the DSG no one brought up that it doesn't need to be level if doing the top fill.

I'll definitely do it your way next time...

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's weird in all the parts and threads over the years regarding the DSG no one brought up that it doesn't need to be level if doing the top fill.

I'll definitely do it your way next time...

The only reason that could possibly exist for a level car is using the VW bottom fill method, which is then followed by running the car and letting excess oil flow out the snorkel until the proper amound of oil is achieved. Since the top fill method employs a measured amount, not overfilling and then letting the excess drain out, level is irrelevant.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
The only reason that could possibly exist for a level car is using the VW bottom fill method, which is then followed by running the car and letting excess oil flow out the snorkel until the proper amound of oil is achieved. Since the top fill method employs a measured amount, not overfilling and then letting the excess drain out, level is irrelevant.
My Honda Accord was the same way. No way to check level just drop 3 quarts add 3 back in

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
If you're as handy as you say, you should have no trouble with the work, by all means go ahead.
I have a nice concrete floor in the garage, and I use ramps. Those are good, but of course there are several possible arrangements. For safety I recommend only ramps or jack stands. Getting under a car with jacks alone are an invitation to a funeral.
That being said, with regular (Rhino Ramp) ramps, I had no trouble accessing the belly pan and the drain for the DSG, and I am big (6'6", 285).
The materials to do the service are easily acquired from a dealer, but you'll almost certainly pay more. I got them at the local dealer, but I used the VW Dealer Goodwill VISA to do it, which has to be spent there. Probably the best place to get the DSG oil and filter is from idparts, and they are supporting vendors of this forum. Their price is good, and in my experience their shipping is prompt.
As far as tools, it turned out I had some, and not others. You will need:
10mm wrench to remove battery terminals
13mm socket wrench to remove battery clamp
12mm socket wrench (??) to remove three bolts holding down battery tray, two under the battery itself, and one holding down the "ear" of the battery tray at the right front
6mm hex wrench to loosen bolt holding air box down onto battery tray. (Note: this bolt cannot be taken out completely, just unscrew until it's not engaging the battery tray underneath. Once this bolt is loose, and the three 12mm bolts above are taken out, the air box can be "popped" off the battery tray, and mine did take a pretty good pull to pop it loose.)
The battery tray is an odd shape, and I just worked it around until it came out. The video in the link I put in the OP is invaluable in learning these moves; I watched it several times.
Once the battery tray is out, this exposes the DSG filter housing. You'll need a 24mm (or 15/16") socket to remove the cap, and be sure you have about a foot of extensions for your socket wrench. Some videos show guys using huge deep sockets to do this, but that's not needed. I bought a 24mm socket off Amazon that's nice and shallow, made specifically to do jobs like this.
Something handy may be a pick of some kind to pull the old "O" ring off the cap.
I used the Hoppy "Flo-Tool" to fill the DSG with new oil. This thing is cheap and available on Amazon or Wal-Mart, probably lots of other places. The nozzle that comes on the end of its hose fits exactly in the opening in the DSG housing. As I mentioned in the OP, you'll be doing yourself a favor if you heat up those bottles of new oil. I just used hot tap water in the kitchen sink, made the oil go in about 5 min. / liter. I just hung the "Flo-Tool" on a wire from a hole in the hood, and would refill it when it got low.
Underneath, you are going to have to take out a bunch of fasteners to get the belly pan off. There are four T25 fasteners down each side and one in the front center, total = 9 X T25s. There are 3 x T40s across the back of the belly pan— these were harder to get out than the smaller Torx fasteners, I had to put the Torx adapter in a 1/4" socket to get enough leverage.
The biggest issue I encountered in removing the belly pan was not the fasteners, it was in pushing loose two plastic "teeth" that come down through holes in the belly pan, which an inspection will reveal. You must push these UP before you can slide off the fingers holding the belly pan to the underside of the bumper.
Once the *&^%^&#& belly pan is off, the rest is clear sailing. You will need a 14mm hex adapter (the one in my set was for 1/2" socket set) to remove the big main drain plug. You may want to pick up a new washer for the drain plug, although the old one on mine was not compressed in the slightest. I had no trouble breaking loose the plug, which makes me highly suspicious that the factory didn't torque that thing down to any 25nm. I never torque drain bolts in any case, just snug them down and give one good pull...and in 50 years, I've never had a drain plug back out on me.
Once the initial drain of oil is out of the DSG, you'll need an 8mm hex adapter. The one that came with the set I bought was for a 3/8" socket set. Once the snorkel is out (it's about 6" long) the rest of the oil (most of it) will drain. My car was serviced warm, so it didn't take long to drain completely.
One more caveat, although you've probably already read it somewhere else: don't attempt to wrench that snorkel back in place. When you screw it back up there, just make it finger tight, and forget about it. It's not going anyplace, and that way there's no risk of damaging it.
Thanks for the tips, I'm a big dude as well 6'3", 250. Tis the reason I bought a Passat as my first car, fit in it!

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
great thread!!

is a tube needed for the top fill or could I just toss a funnel in there?

I have about 10 different funnels, but don't have any tubing... I could go buy the one mentioned, but that is one more thing to lose when I need it most (LOL) I can get tubing, but hoping to get by without if possible..

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sure, you could use a funnel to do it, but the Flo-Tool funnel is practically ideal since the plastic piece on the end of its hose fits into the opening in the center of the DSG filter housing as if it were made for it. A funnel could just be set in that opening, but if it's not some kind of a reasonable fit, then the oil is going to come up around it, fill the filter housing and run out over the sides. And that means sitting there and nursing the oil in a bit at a time— no fun.
I think a big factor in getting the oil to go in quicker is to heat up the bottles of new oil before pouring it in. I just put the bottles in a sink full of hot tap water, and it took around 5 min. / bottle.

skyblaster

TDI
2013 GSW Highline
I used the $8 "Hoppy Flo-Tool", available from Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc. The plastic fitting on the end of the hose of the Flo-Tool fits the opening in the filter housing perfectly— I mean as if it were made for it.
I realize @Rico567 hasn't been here in a couple years, but I would love to know the model number of this funnel.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I did my dsg service in my 2015 passat a couple years ago,, now it's time to do it again, I'll check the happy flo tool, I'd like to do the tranny oil change different that how I did it last time, I put my passat on ramps, so is 4.6 or 4.7 liters the approx capacity of oil for the dsg on a passat 2015? so I don't have to put this sucker on the ramps

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Only thing I'd recommend doing first is cracking open the filter housing to let all the fluid flow back into the case before draining.

I have a cheap threaded bottom fill tool with clear plastic hose to jug adapter, when I fill from the bottom I leave the filter off, this allows for pretty quick fill as it breaths better, maybe 5 min per liter. I then leave the hose connected as the car warm up and drain back the excess into the same container, easy peasey.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Only thing I'd recommend doing first is cracking open the filter housing to let all the fluid flow back into the case before draining.

I have a cheap threaded bottom fill tool with clear plastic hose to jug adapter, when I fill from the bottom I leave the filter off, this allows for pretty quick fill as it breaths better, maybe 5 min per liter. I then leave the hose connected as the car warm up and drain back the excess into the same container, easy peasey.
i just made my own fill tool. got the bottom fill screw in thing and a cheap weed sprayer. im sure you see where im going with this. put the oil in it, pressurize it and wait. then run it till its warm and pull the top off it for the excess oil to drip back in. easy. lets hope it works how i anticipate.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I did my dsg service in my 2015 passat a couple years ago,, now it's time to do it again, I'll check the happy flo tool, I'd like to do the tranny oil change different that how I did it last time, I put my passat on ramps, so is 4.6 or 4.7 liters the approx capacity of oil for the dsg on a passat 2015? so I don't have to put this sucker on the ramps

you still gotta get under the car to access the drain plug, I used ramps and then blocks under the rear tires to level the car out, but that's not needed if you're doing measure/refill method.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
you still gotta get under the car to access the drain plug, I used ramps and then blocks under the rear tires to level the car out, but that's not needed if you're doing measure/refill method.
That's right I can only use the front ramp to get access to oil plug and so on, hopefully I won't overfill or underfill