2014 Golf Wagon DSG - can't tow anything :(

PuffinTDI

TDI
2014 Golf Wagon Wolfsburg Edition
Just purchased the wife a 2014 Golf Wagon TDI DSG few weeks back, reading the VW owners manual it states the DSG is not rated to tow at all. ! :eek:
WT..F - what do the USA manuals say ? Europe seems to be no problem...
:mad: this sucks...

P.S. Love the car otherwise :D its fun to drive (when she lets me that is)

Paul..

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
No towing in the USA with DSG either.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Since the owner's manual doesn't approve towing, tow at your own risk. There will be plenty of posters here who will share their success.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Google the specifications in the UK.
The specs are basically 1000 lbs unbraked and 3300 lbs braked.
The DSG is also rated along with the manual and there are no differences excapt the total weight of the car is a little higher with the DSG.
The DSG is basically an automated manual transmission with no torque converter to heat the fluid. There is a small pressure pump to work the hydraulic controls within.
The twin clutches are wet or rather run in the oil bath for cooling and controlled slipping (very slight) when engaging and this is the reason fot the special lubricant with friction modifiers much like motorcycle oil.
Personally I think that the DSG would handle towing loads better than 90 percent of the manual drivers can do it.
I would have said 99 %, but I dont want to make these manual experts mad at me!
I am looking for a camper trailer now after being enthused by the thread on road trips 4000 miles etc.
Google it. I would have posted a link like I have many times before, but I am using my tablet and it is harder to search and go back and forth.
Also google towing reccommendation in great britain.
They have several "caravan" sites that match up cars and trailers etc.
The 2009 (2008 for them) was voted best tow car of the year.

Last edited:

PuffinTDI

TDI
Since the owner's manual doesn't approve towing, tow at your own risk. There will be plenty of posters here who will share their success.
thanks DogParkGuy, i was thinking it had changed for the 14 model year, the only downfall is it voids warranty if you do.... At least on the tranny and perhaps whole drive train...

PuffinTDI

TDI
Google the specifications in the UK.
The specs are basically 1000 lbs unbraked and 3300 lbs braked.
The DSG is also rated along with the manual and there are no differences excapt the total weight of the car is a little higher with the DSG.
The DSG is basically an automated manual transmission with no torque converter to heat the fluid. There is a small pressure pump to work the hydraulic controls within.
The twin clutches are wet or rather run in the oil bath for cooling and controlled slipping (very slight) when engaging and this is the reason fot the special lubricant with friction modifiers much like motorcycle oil.
Personally I think that the DSG would handle towing loads better than 90 percent of the manual drivers can do it.
I would have said 99 %, but I dont want to make these manual experts mad at me!
I am looking for a camper trailer now after being enthused by the thread on road trips 4000 miles etc.
Google it. I would have posted a link like I have many times before, but I am using my tablet and it is harder to search and go back and forth.
Also google towing reccommendation in great britain.
They have several "caravan" sites that match up cars and trailers etc.
The 2009 (2008 for them) was voted best tow car of the year.
Awesome i'll dig around - i'd found a thread on a recent group buy for hitches and that got me scratching the old noggin... :p thanks for the news...

K-nuts

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I tow with my JSW DSG, it's freaking awesome. IF I was ever asked by the dealer if I tow, the answer is "No, that is a hitch for the bicycle rack". It's not like they could ever tell otherwise, so no voiding warranty.

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
I tow with my JSW DSG, it's freaking awesome. IF I was ever asked by the dealer if I tow, the answer is "No, that is a hitch for the bicycle rack". It's not like they could ever tell otherwise, so no voiding warranty.
What do you plan to do if you have a break down while towing?

Also, how do you explain the wiring harness?

BTW, I love the car and honestly have contemplated towing. I've got family in the UK with the same machine and they tow 2k lbs without an issue with the DSG.

Those are the two concerns that have prevented me from going ahead.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
What do you plan to do if you have a break down while towing?

Also, how do you explain the wiring harness?

BTW, I love the car and honestly have contemplated towing. I've got family in the UK with the same machine and they tow 2k lbs without an issue with the DSG.

Those are the two concerns that have prevented me from going ahead.
Before the tow truck shows up, you rip out the wiring harness, disconnect all the hardware and push the trailer down the street and hide it behind some bushes.

Last edited:

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
The manual is BS I tow with my 2010 DSG and there is no difference in the '14 from the '10...my manual says towing is ok but low weights...