New Jetta TDI 2014 DSG

guywithatdi

TDI
2014 Jetta dsg
So, I just leased a new Jetta tdi with the premium pkg and have been really pleased. I was going to get the 6 speed manual shift but after a test drive in Jersey traffic I decided against it. I traded my 2009 Subaru Forrester with just over100,000mi. The Forrester was a good utilitarian car but not at all pleasing to drive. The ride was noisy and harsh to me, I could barely hear the radio on the Parkway and the handling left something to be desired. I was getting 23 miles per gallon, not bad for all wheel drive but, I wanted better. When the car started acting up in the cold I figured I would rather get the Jetta and not put money into a car I no longer enjoyed driving. I will miss the all wheel drive but a better radio and much better handling will more than make up for it. Not to mention the mileage increase. I drive about 90-100 miles a day 5 days a week. So far about 36mpg but It's only been a few days. I leased the TDI as this is my first diesel and I am not sure if it's for me. I get a few years to check it out and if I love it I will buy it at the end of the lease. If it doesn't suit me or is a troublesome vehicle I will walk away from it.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Your MPG should increase with break-in. The rule of thumb is that these TDIs are not broken in until 60k miles. In the summer, when I only had 15k or so, I still was getting 45+ with mostly highway. In the cold, your 36 MPG is not bad, once the temps are consistently above 50 or so, I wouldn't be surprised to see your average go up towards 40!

Enjoy it, I have loved mine for the past 25K or so!