Leaking coolant- options moving forward

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Started to leak coolant - if it is the waterpump, should I replace the timing belt also?

I'm at 110000 miles right now.
Any mid- michigan shop recommendations ? What would be a fair cost for water pump or water pump + timing belt replacement ?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd plan for $1000 bucks and be happy if it comes under.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Thanks for the replies.
It turned out that water pump needed to be replaced, so as recommended, I also changed the timing belt. I was stuck using the dealer (I wish there a good independent shop) and ouch did they get me good. Anyway here are the parts they used:

04L-121-011-P waterpump
04L-109-119-D Tooth belt (timing belt)
04L-109-243-G Tensioner
03L-109-244-G Roller
03L-109-244-D Roller

plus 2 gallons of GA137741GDSP coolant

I thought that the EA288's timing belt used the engine oil as lubricant (thus the 130000mi interval) and that there would be oil added but not so.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks for the replies.
It turned out that water pump needed to be replaced, so as recommended, I also changed the timing belt. I was stuck using the dealer (I wish there a good independent shop) and ouch did they get me good. Anyway here are the parts they used:
04L-121-011-P waterpump
04L-109-243-G Tensioner
03L-109-244-G Roller
03L-109-244-D Roller
I thought that the EA288's timing belt used the engine oil as lubricant (thus the 130000mi interval) and that there would be oil added but not so.
yep that is a good timing belt service. actually replaced all coolant. And a timing chain uses engine oil. its very bad if you get any oil on a timing belt.
\dealer charged you... $1500-$1800. the independant shops by me charge $1100. more if i want coolant flushed.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
$1857 :(
Does anyone know if the water pump is the variable flow version or constant flow?
I wondered the same thing. According to one of the online dealer catalogs, the ...011P pump shown on this invoice supersedes the non-variable flow pump that IDParts lists as ...011L. Kind of opposite to my expectation, but there it is.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
My guess (hope) is fixed pump.

$1800, that hurts!!!

AFAIK The oil pump belt uses an oil bath.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Thanks for the replies.
04L-121-011-P waterpump
04L-109-243-G Tensioner
03L-109-244-G Roller
03L-109-244-D Roller
would you mind posting the complete bill ? (I don't see various engine mount bolts and nuts). thanks.

T4RBoarder

TDI
'15 GSW SEL 6-spd "Diego"
My TDI sitting at the shop was quoted $1800 by both the dealer and a local VW indy for the complete job. Mine however has been sitting since the 2nd waiting on a new superseded water pump (don't know the official part number) that they say is on intergalactic backorder and they still have no ETA. Did your dealer have your pump in stock that you know of?

What is the difference between these pumps? Does it just switch it to a "normal" type pump without the fancy sleeve to help with warmup?

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
My TDI sitting at the shop was quoted $1800 by both the dealer and a local VW indy for the complete job. Mine however has been sitting since the 2nd waiting on a new superseded water pump (don't know the official part number) that they say is on intergalactic backorder and they still have no ETA. Did your dealer have your pump in stock that you know of?

What is the difference between these pumps? Does it just switch it to a "normal" type pump without the fancy sleeve to help with warmup?

in case your dealer is still struggling to find the pump:

The pumps have gone up!
My dealer has one for $345 here
Back when I replaced my fuel pump, I thought I had a small leak coming from the pump and purchased one just in case. Still have it, brand new in box. It may not be the most updated revision though.

As for engine hoist, it works just fine! The one you linked could be great for clutch jobs though.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.

Here is the pump you want, in stock, with a lifetime guarantee: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-water-pump-genuine-vw-04l121011l

Seriously, in 120k miles, you could send them back the pump and they will send you a refund or replacement. FCP Euro is local to me and an absolutely fantastic company to work with.

If your dealer is friendly to non-OEM parts, here is a HEPU in-stock at IDParts: https://www.idparts.com/water-pump-hepu-cvca-crua-p-7213.html

Hand that to your dealer and get your job done. There is no reason to be waiting nearly a month.

Last edited: