Duty/Tax - Canada to the USA?

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
How can I figure out how much the Duty and Taxes would be for me to bring used car parts over to the US?

I have a few car parts kicking around and have people in the US interested. I would drive over the border and then ship them USPS. But I assume I would have to do some import paperwork and pay duty and taxes???

Let just say a transmission?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It would be a function of the quantity and stated value, whether the customs people agree with you, and of which country you are a citizen.

Smaller quantities are much easier. Large quantities (i.e. a "commercial quantity") will engender a different evaluation.

The country of origin of the parts is critical as well.

With all these factors, it is nearly impossible to make a single statement that will enable you to say what the final figure will be with any authority.

However, if these parts are in used condition, then I think the value of the duty will be relatively low. Probably 5% would be a very high estimate.

Cheers,

PH

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
From what the border guys told me, anything up to $200 you don't have to pay duty on (but still be sure to mention what it is and the value).

I sold an Apple Watch - $400, I think is what I'd sold it for. Had to pay a whopping $10 to bring it in. The time to go into the border office was far more of an annoyance than the $$.