DEF adapter fill hose 2015 Passat TDI Highline

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Morning gents, was at my local VW dealer yesterday and picked up this hose for $18.75 plus taxes of course . Haven't used it yet, but one end threads onto the filler spout in the trunk of the car and the other onto the larger jugs of DEF, I guess the 9.78 litre jug(2.5 gallon ?). Was wondering if anyone here has bought one ? I'm in Toronto, Canada by the way.
On another note: I was at the deakership just before noon on a Saturday ; it was completely deserted... One couple with my salesperson that I've dealt with. Even the service dept was quiet , all other salespeople playing with their phones. I said hello to Joe(salesperson) and asked him " keeping busy"? "Trying to"... He replied. I couldn't help but leaving there feeling sad for all of these people who work at the dealership . It's not their fault VW is in this mess right now, and it's a shame that they will suffer financial hardship because of a few people who thought they could get away "what they thought was not a problem". Just my opinion ...

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Another way would have been to buy ONE 1.89 liter bottle of DEF fluid from the dealer for the same cost you paid. Dump the stuff into the tank and then take the bottle and cut the bottom off.
Now you have a nice funnel you can use to pour DEF in from any container !

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I don't understand why they would throw VW under the bus and create the situation you described, if everyone would watch "Cowspiracy" you would come away with a better command of why the environment is deteriorating. I feel its certainly not my 2015 Passat or any other of the 68,000 vw tdi"s.

I realize that most of the people that make such critical decisions couldn't hold a private job they would and could only suck on tax payer money to make a living. Like a career politician.

It should of been handled a little more discretely to minimize the impact. VW employs thousands of people why jeopardize their ability to make a leaving.

I liken it to aXXhole Bush and his decision to invade Iraq, look at the results...half of the world is in turmoil

Just my thoughts

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I tried a jug with a flexible spout and ended up spilling more DEF than the dealer ever did. The hard part was telling what the level was in the tank. Does the VW hose include a shutoff? I did a search and it looks like it might.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried the procedure that Jetta_Pilot described. The bottle has a shutoff valve in it, so it was pretty clean. IDParts has a good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Zl9PqrNqE

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I found a deal with free shipping on the M-B DEF setup, a 10L jug with a vented hose that attaches directly to the filler neck in our Passat's trunk. Hooked up the hose in the trunk, hooked to jug, turned jug upside down. It took probably 9L of the jug and then stopped. Very smooth because of the internally vented hose. I unhooked and didn't spill a drop, then discarded the remaining DEF on the garden, where the urea will put itself to good use. I will then refill the jug with the cheapie $8 / 2.5 gal. DEF from Rural King.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In the USA at a truck stop you can buy DEF fluid for less than $ 3.00 a US gallon.

BTW: You can buy DEF fluid in a 5 gallon US container at Princess Auto in Ontario for about $ 17.00 + tx.

As for the cut-off bottle I saved the cut-off bottom and use it to close the open "FUNNEL".

For the life of me I can not understand why Audi has the DEF filler next to the Diesel fill. After all the Passat is a less expensive Audi !

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Another way would have been to buy ONE 1.89 liter bottle of DEF fluid from the dealer for the same cost you paid. Dump the stuff into the tank and then take the bottle and cut the bottom off.
Now you have a nice funnel you can use to pour DEF in from any container !
I started out with this^^^. Then decided to buy another 1.89 liter bottle, and rather than cutting off the bottom, just unscrewed the top, refilled as necessary.
I think this is safer, as the "funnel" method is harder to keep clean.
Opinion, of course...

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I started out with this^^^. Then decided to buy another 1.89 liter bottle, and rather than cutting off the bottom, just unscrewed the top, refilled as necessary.
I think this is safer, as the "funnel" method is harder to keep clean.
Opinion, of course...
Just rinse the FUNNEL with hot water when done. Then put the funnel in a plastic bag and close it !
Here is a YouTube clip to see how its done
Fill DEF fluid

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Luscar, one item you may want to invest in, is a funnel to fill your Diesel if you encounter a LARGE nozzle pump. Or if, like myself, you carry an extra 10 liter can with Diesel on looooong trips for just in case.
VW dealer sells it for about $ 16.00

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Morning gents, was at my local VW dealer yesterday and picked up this hose for $18.75 plus taxes of course . Haven't used it yet, but one end threads onto the filler spout in the trunk of the car and the other onto the larger jugs of DEF, I guess the 9.78 litre jug(2.5 gallon ?). Was wondering if anyone here has bought one ? I'm in Toronto, Canada by the way.
On another note: I was at the deakership just before noon on a Saturday ; it was completely deserted... One couple with my salesperson that I've dealt with. Even the service dept was quiet , all other salespeople playing with their phones. I said hello to Joe(salesperson) and asked him " keeping busy"? "Trying to"... He replied. I couldn't help but leaving there feeling sad for all of these people who work at the dealership . It's not their fault VW is in this mess right now, and it's a shame that they will suffer financial hardship because of a few people who thought they could get away "what they thought was not a problem". Just my opinion ...
I bought the mercedes version of the hose as per http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=412100

Works very well. Less dicking around than the kruse bottle.

Bought the VW 9.78 jug. I kept the empty jug and i'm going to fill it at a "Flying J" the next time I need def.

bobbybrown

TDI
vw jetta 2015 tdi
adblue

In the USA at a truck stop you can buy DEF fluid for less than $ 3.00 a US gallon.

BTW: You can buy DEF fluid in a 5 gallon US container at Princess Auto in Ontario for about $ 17.00 + tx.

As for the cut-off bottle I saved the cut-off bottom and use it to close the open "FUNNEL".

For the life of me I can not understand why Audi has the DEF filler next to the Diesel fill. After all the Passat is a less expensive Audi !
Here in ontario 10l adblue from the vw dealership cost $27 bucks.Canadian tire sells for $23.I never been in Princess auto

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I am so glad this old thread resurfaced a couple weeks ago, never heard of such a hose. I bought the 1 liter bottle and 2 2.5 gallon containers from the local vw dealer. Cut the bottom out of the liter bottle to make a funnel and covered the trunk in paper towels to avoid spills and splashes. Bought the clear hose on amazon and just topped off my ad blue, i had about .5 gallon left, the hardest part was screwing the hose on the Passat. Well worth $22.

LabGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
So, my wife called to tell me that she got the "adblue alert 1500 miles" message today. She is scheduled to go on a road trip today before I get home, so I had a guy from my church put in a 2.5 Gal bottle.

My question is, should the alert go away on its own? Do I need to reset anything? Wife says that message was still there when she started it up for the first time.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I fill my adblue at the heavy truck places, very cheap and they have a regular fuel pump nozzle with auto shutoff.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Ask at the parts department at a dealership, mine sells it out a door, not at a visible outdoor pump.