Keeping up the trim

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 B5.5v, '89 DOKA Syncro
Just bought a B5.5 and I notice there is a haze on the bright (chrome-like) trim. I'd guess oxidation or perhaps UV damage since it was an AZ car.

Similarly there's a haze on the clear plastic covers of the headlight clusters.

I'd like to know a recommendation for the products and/or methods to deal with each of these problems.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Hi. If the haze is wax then get a wax remover from a professional detailer like gr-40. However, I doubt that will work. The brightwork is just too oxidized and the top coating is gone. The only real solution is to replace since it's can't be polished with good results. Of course it's cheaper to try it and see if you like it. To do this, tape off the trim and polish with a mother's powerball mini and plastic polish.

I've recently changed how I polish headlights. After sanding, I use a mother's powerball mini to polish since it gets into the corner easier. See here for more headlight tips and car detailing tips. Of course, if you're not sure, always start with polishing first to see if it gets you the desired level of result before more aggressive steps.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/headlight_polishing.htm