2000 Jetta tdi GLS to buy or not to buy

tdiwoman

TDI
none yet
Hi. New here. We are looking at a 2000 Jetta tdi automatic (I know, I know) with about 250K on it. The body looks excellent, fully loaded, power everything, CD in the trunk (yuk) Any idea what we might want to pay for a vehicle like this? Anybody have any transmission stories (good or bad...)they want to share?

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Price depends on a few factors:

Has the timing belt been changed? (if not then knock $700 off the price)

Does it have a service history

There should be some other FAQ's on the forums somewhere

What kind of money are they asking?

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
tdiwoman said:
Hi. New here. We are looking at a 2000 Jetta tdi automatic (I know, I know) with about 250K on it. The body looks excellent, fully loaded, power everything, CD in the trunk (yuk) Any idea what we might want to pay for a vehicle like this? Anybody have any transmission stories (good or bad...)they want to share?
With these cars, the mileage is not as important as the care that the previous owner put into it. The best thing you can do is either get somebody that currently owns a tdi and have them test drive it, or drive a tdi thats in good condition yourself so you know what a good tdi SHOULD drive like. IS it a private sale or a dealer? If its a private sale, try and get a "feel" for the previous owner, and try to figure out if they actually cared about the car, or just used it as a form of transportation. are there any service records? You should also check out at least 3 or 4 tdi's just to have something to compare it to. As for price....i would say for a 2000 with 250K, I would pay between 6500 and 8500 (before tax), depending on the car's condition, options, and how recently the timing belt had been replaced. If the person is not sure when the belt has been replaced, you have to assume that it is due. Its not the kind of thing you want to gamble with on these cars.

If you are in the Mississauga/oakville/burlington/hamilton are, I could take a look at it for you, or feel free to take mine for a spin.

Good Luck,
Steve

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
tdiwoman said:
We are looking at a 2000 Jetta tdi automatic.... Anybody have any transmission stories (good or bad...)they want to share?
Bump for the transmission stories ;)

I have heard the auto boxes are not as reliable or long lived as 5-speeds.

Simon

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
P2B said:
Bump for the transmission stories ;)

I have heard the auto boxes are not as reliable or long lived as 5-speeds.

Simon
I had a 5 speed that pooched at 800km. :rolleyes: Transmission was replaced under warranty.