98 Jetta TDI starting issue

dereksreynolds

TDI
96 Passat TDi, 2 98 Jetta TDi
Need some assistance troubleshooing: Car starts without issue when its cold but when you take it on a short drive <10 miles and let it sit all day and then go to start it that is when it has problems. It turns over and does not start a few times and then you hit the gas pedal a few times and it starts to fire and eventually it starts and runs fine. I only notice this when I go on short trips so far. Thanks for the assistance.

dereksreynolds

TDI
Just checked voltage at Injector pump with ignition switch on and go 12.8V and swapped Relay 109 with good relay. Does anyone have any ideas?

savannah996

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
dereksreynolds said:
Need some assistance troubleshooing: Car starts without issue when its cold but when you take it on a short drive <10 miles and let it sit all day and then go to start it that is when it has problems. It turns over and does not start a few times and then you hit the gas pedal a few times and it starts to fire and eventually it starts and runs fine. I only notice this when I go on short trips so far. Thanks for the assistance.
makes no sense to me. throttle is electronic and will have nothing to do with starting probs. so for instance, you start it and drive to work fine, then at end of day when its time to go home it cranks for a while, maybe dies a few times, then finally starts?

sullyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Don't know if the 98 Jettas have the same issue as the beetles but I had very similer issues with my beetle and I was told numerous times it was in the ECU program, and factory defect of sorts, bad code etc.

All I can say is I now do not have an issue whatsoever anymore and starts soon as the key hits the start position.

Got Rocket Chip tune which of course replaces the code all together... Got RC3.

And it is now fixed.

dereksreynolds

TDI
makes no sense to me. throttle is electronic and will have nothing to do with starting probs. so for instance, you start it and drive to work fine, then at end of day when its time to go home it cranks for a while, maybe dies a few times, then finally starts?

That is the exact symtoms.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Not real likely from your description, but have you checked the anti-shutter valve?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
That sounds like the hot restart issue. Common to the '98 family, IIRC. The best most complete fix is to have Jeff at Rocketchip set you up a tune, just like Sully did.

Tony

dereksreynolds

TDI
2 weeks old. I checked the lines and the valve at the bottom of the filter for air leaks. I also swapped CR109 with my 96 Passat TDI to see if this helps.

dereksreynolds

TDI
What is strange is sometimes you here the turbo wind up and then down after it starts. My B4 does not do this even with RC3 code installed.

dereksreynolds

TDI
No, started doing the research on what is needed to collect data Vag-com software, cables etc... The car is running Chip,Sprint 520's and I am not sure if what the Chip code is since the previous owner did not remember, looks like I need to collect some data and understand what its doing.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
dereksreynolds said:
98 Jetta does not have Anti-Shutter valve... Any other ideas?
Opps, I often get caught on those model year changes.

What part of Ohio are you at?

sullyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
BigAndy said:
I would be surprised if the 'exact symtons' are going to result in the occurence of the same problem since the 98 Jetta and 98 Beetle don't share many parts.
BigAndy, would mind explaining a little bit? Sorry just intrested in what some of the differnces are, I would have never thoght they would be so different.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
dereksreynolds said:
Southern Ohio, Proctorville.
I don't know anyone down that way, but I suspect there is someone that is in that area. If you want to come up to Columbus area We have some known good mechanics up here.

dereksreynolds

TDI
Scheduled to go see the Growler (Aaron) for some other stuff if still having problem I will have him check it out. Thanks Joe.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
dereksreynolds said:
Scheduled to go see the Growler (Aaron) for some other stuff if still having problem I will have him check it out. Thanks Joe.
Say high to his family and animals while you are there. I highly recommend him.