replacing steering wheel with multifunction wheel

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but does anybody have the part number for the airbag/ horn/ multifunction harness in the wheel?
My dealer keeps ordering the wrong ones.
Thanks a ton.

As an FYI for those interested in the swap the dampening alone is worth the swap in my book. The multi-function wheel has a dampening (sp?) weight in it which in my case shut up the noise from my strut bushings.

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
dremd, are you talking about the clockspring? a black plastic donut looking thing?

If so, I found that the only difference is the amount of pins in the connector. 5 for MF wheel, 4 for standard. I found that my standard wheel had a 5pin clockspring behind it. I sold the spare 5pin that I bought to Radman.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually have a spare clockspring.
What I need is the harness that connects the clockspring to the airbag/ multi function buttons

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
The multifunctions wheel that I am using was removed from a 2000 VR6 Jetta it has a weight damper, however I do not know if it identical to the Diesel or not.

dragnet

TDI
2000 Jetta TDi
Bringing back an old thread as I am planning to do this retrofit to my 2000 Jetta TDi. I've found an 04 complete at the wreckers and I am able to pull it apart for everything I need. From reading this thread it seems that the newer 04 Can Bus equipped car will not have all the right pieces/wires/modules for my 00. I'll probably hold out for a pre 01 car which should be a straight swap with mine.

My question for now is would I have to change any of the existing stereo head-unit connectors for this to work? I've recently bought an after-market head-unit that plugs directly into my existing ISO connectors. You can find it here:

nav unit

The seller lists it as either an ISO connector or Can Bus connector. When I contacted him I was told that the steering wheel controls will only work with the Can Bus version.

I understand that no one has any experience with this particular unit, but in general for the MFSW to work in a pre 2001 car, does the stereo need to be swapped for a newer unit with the Can Bus connector or will the MFSW work with the older ISO connected stereos?

Thanks for you time....

mazoul72

TDI
110cv_november 2001
Hello,

can i connect my golf6 steering wheel to my seat leon tdi ? (november 2001)
with this tutorial ?
it is without golf6 controler under steering wheel.

Regards.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
The wheel fits but you won't have any multifunction buttons.

At least not plug and play.

Golfopeos on your golfiv.fr forum should know how to get them partly working though. ;)

Larry in TN

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GL
Anyone who has upgraded to the multi-function steering wheel have their old wheel still hanging around? I'd like to replace my worn wheel with one in better shape.

mazoul72

TDI
110cv_november 2001
I bought relais 452 to see if Bus LIN ver 1.x works with LIN 2.0/2.1 in steering wheel of golf 6.
i know that this two revision of LIN works together but only on byte layer not detection error.
So LIN works on one go out line in this mini-controler (in steering wheel) but i don't know how works external controler (under steering wheel).
Very expensive to change the slip ring/controler but Golfopeos interface is more expensive than these electronics part. (450 euros / 650 $)

i should make myself this interface if it is possible .
if you desire , i can show you this interface wiring and program from a spanish guy to improve it. (no commercial use / put on FIS yahoo groups )

Last edited:

mazoul72

TDI
110cv_november 2001
Hi,

Did anybody already try to put golf6 steering wheel with old car (2000-2005) ?
That's i want to know.

Regards

Karl Martin

TDI
Golf IV 110 hp
Hello
I have just the buttons and the relay 452. between the 2 blocks of buttons there are one connector, but each buttons block have another place to fit the wiring.
Someone can tell me thw pinout for the buttons block?
I don't know where to find those connectors and where they connect...

Karl Martin

TDI
Golf IV 110 hp
Confused about wiring

I need a picture Karl, I am not sure what you are talking about. is it the 5 pin connector to the clockspring?
Thank you for your help

What i don't know is the wiring of the left white connector. I know that the right connector connects to the same connecter in the other buttons block.
You see, i have two blocks of 4 buttons, each block has 2 connectores, the right plug of block A connects to the right plug of block B. But where and what is the pinout of the left plug of the blocks A and B?
I hope that i make it clear now.
My english sucks

Karl Martin

TDI
Golf IV 110 hp
Holy Christ!! Why so many wires?!?!?

My car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGG_nJdLhyc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to ask though, sorry!!

Cheers,
-Chris
:eek::eek::eek: This is part of my project. I have installed in my Golf 4 the multifunction steering wheel of Golf 6 and i will connect each MFSW Golf 6 button to another button in the plate of the golf's 4 controls. But i need to know the pinout of the plug indicated in that image. I hope you can understand what i'm talkin about.:)

Karl Martin

TDI
Golf IV 110 hp
You shouldn't use my images for your selling purposes.:D
If you want to help go ahead. I think that the classifieds have a proper section. This is not a jungle:mad:

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
You shouldn't use my images for your selling purposes.:D
If you want to help go ahead. I think that the classifieds have a proper section. This is not a jungle:mad:
understood, I did not post anywhere but here, I take and post my own pictures of my items for sale. (I also keep pictures of serial numbers, and other important information in case the item is lost, stolen or attempted to be returned incorrectly)

Karl Martin

TDI
Golf IV 110 hp
nobody helps?
That is not the way we treat stranges in Porugal. I'm very disapointed with this forum...:mad: Is the way i speak or we live in a jungle?

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm really sorry, I totally forgot about this thread.

I'm assuming that you already know that all the buttons do is send current through different resistors depending on what button you are pressing, therefore changing the voltage which the module interprets and inputs and sends to he MFSW relay? The main module (in the LEFT) button module translates all these voltages into a LIN-BUS signal that talks to the MFSW module (Multifunction Steering Wheel).

So, on the LEFThand module, you have 3 wires coming IN from the clock spring and going to the 5 pin connector. I believe that is what you are asking for?

1) The two black wires (pin 4 and 5) operate the horn. Basically one is sending out +ve and the other is a ground. When the horn is pressed, the little metal "arms" on the back of the airbag complete the circuit and this tells the module to send the "horn" signal over lin-bus.

2) The yellow wire (pin 3 on the left connector you've pictured above, goes to pin 5 on the STEERING WHEEL side of the clock spring) is the lin-bus or "data" wire going to the relay/controller.

3) The brown wire (pin 2 on the left connector you've pictured above, goes to pin 4 on the STEERING WHEEL side of the clock spring) is ground.

4) The black/brown wire is "ignition positive" signal. Also called 15a or A20 in the MKIV. It is pin 1 on the left connector you've pictured above and it goes to pin 3 on the STEERING WHEEL side of the clock spring.

You only need 4 wires going to the second set of switches. You have:

1) Ground
2) Illumination
3) +ve for each of the two up/down toggle switches (volume up and down/seek forward and back)

It sounds like you don't need that pin-out?

I hope that is what you are looking for? If it isn't let me know and I'll try to give you the info you need...

Cheers,
-Chris

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Chris (blizzard60) did you use the MK4 452 / 451 control module with your MK6 MFSW?
Yes I did. I got your PM - sorry I haven't responded yet. I'm planning on getting a how-to together, but it is gonna take a while... My whole set up was done with simple soldering and wiring.

@ Karl Martin: it is polite to say thank-you when someone helps you out. Or do we live in a jungle? ;) :p :D

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
Yes I did. I got your PM - sorry I haven't responded yet. I'm planning on getting a how-to together, but it is gonna take a while... My whole set up was done with simple soldering and wiring.
@ Karl Martin: it is polite to say thank-you when someone helps you out. Or do we live in a jungle? ;) :p :D
Chris thank you, look forward to the how to.

Karl Martin

TDI
Golf IV 110 hp

I've been away for some time. My mother died last thursday:(
Of course that i'm polite, and i'm realy happy for your reply. So thank you my friend for your help.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
blizzard60: Am I correct in assuming that you're using the Mk4 clockspring, with a modified airbag harness?

I'm planning out a hack that would take the LIN bus signal from the Mk6 steering wheel, and feed it into a microcontroller, which would then send bluetooth HID keyboard commands to an Android phone, allowing (almost) full control of the phone from the steering wheel.