2010 TDI Fuel Filter ?'n?

JDTDICUP

TDI
2010 VW TDI Cup - Laser Blue
Hey guys, this is my first technical post so bear with me. I've searched and have found conflicting information as far as correct filter for my VIN. I was going to replace the fuel filter in my car today and the fuel filter I bought based on VIN at the local VW dealer yielded me P/N 1K0127434A (large hole at both ends). My car's production date is 06/10, and from everything that I have found that is the correct P/N.

Based on the info from:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2009-2010-VW-TDI-fuel-filter.htm

I have canister type #3 as shown in the link above which suggests that I should be using P/N 1K0127434B (1 small hole on bottom), however the build date tells me to use P/N 1K0127434A. What gives, which is the correct filter? I wanted to be sure before I pop the canister open to find that I have the wrong filter....

Thanks in advance for the help!
Jason

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
If you don't have the drain screw in the top of the filter housing as in picture#1, you should have the model that takes the single hole element, as you stated. If by some chance it isn't, you can just close up the fuel filter and pick up the correct element. From past experiences, the VW VIN# breaks aren't always correct.

JDTDICUP

TDI
2010 VW TDI Cup - Laser Blue
Thanks for the help. I'll take a look and see what I got.

If you don't have the drain screw in the top of the filter housing as in picture#1, you should have the model that takes the single hole element, as you stated. If by some chance it isn't, you can just close up the fuel filter and pick up the correct element. From past experiences, the VW VIN# breaks aren't always correct.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
when did VW change....

Has anyone figured out when VW changed from one FF style to the other? And why did they change? I think 2009 models have both version of the FF. Not sure about 2010 models. Is one design better than the other? I have the "2-hole" style with drain plug. I would love to know why there are two designs. Anyone know what style is on the 2011 models?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Yo Mac...too many questions!!

Answers? One simple answer. Open the filter canister and check. Two designs? Answer: "Gee, which canisters do we have on the shelf this week?"

Only 22 months back into the VW fold, and I'm shaking my head again at the screwy parts system. It's more interesting than Honda, for sure...uhh, actually after 130k miles on 2 Odysseys, I never had to order any parts, so I don't really know about Honda's parts system.

I love my TDIs...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We haven't found the canister and filter type on MKVIs to be VIN specifc. Seems the best method is a visual check. We provide some help in our fuel filter product descriptions.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Has anyone figured out when VW changed from one FF style to the other? And why did they change? I think 2009 models have both version of the FF. Not sure about 2010 models. Is one design better than the other? I have the "2-hole" style with drain plug. I would love to know why there are two designs. Anyone know what style is on the 2011 models?
The PD MkV Jetta had three different FF assys.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Seems too that the housings are of different heights, with the older style "Two Hole Wide Mouth" filter being taller than than the newer "One Hole Narrow Mouth" filter because the "Two Hole Wide Mouth" housing has extra space for water to collect at the bottom. Perhaps measuring the external height of the housing and confirming the lid design will help the odds of attaining the correct filter?