New to me 2010 JSW - questions...

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
So I am turning in my '09 in a little over a week, but I just arrived back home with a 2010 on 92k miles. Very clean, single owner AZ car. It was a nice drive to bring it back the past two days.

1. It has had the "fix" done, but that was performed in Aug of 2017. Anyone know if there are updates to that? If so, is it just a matter of asking VW to update it? It doesn't seem to operate as smooth as my '09 in terms of communication between the gas pedal and tranny. Normal driving is fine, but when you go from coast to light acceleration, it seems to surge in power for a split second. It does seem more responsive in relation to gas pedal input, so perhaps that is why. Not bad, just different??

2. Which brings me to my second point. This one runs a lot louder from inside the cabin, and the engine vibrations are significantly harsher. I'd say if you've ever driven an MKIII or maybe IV, it is similar to that. That a result of the new tuning? I doubt that, but I wanted to ask. If not, then should I look at motor mounts? Or is this normal?

Comparing the two years, the '10 stereo sound is adequate, but I think the '09 sounded a fair bit better.
I have some buzzing interior parts that are a result of issue #2 above. The side window defrost vent passenger side appears to be a culprit. Anyone been in there to see if there is something I can do? There is another from the passenger rear, but I haven't had time to investigate.

What I love:
-The GPS was handy. I need to find what version it is, but I can't imagine I'll need an update as I won't use it too often and my backup is google.

- Built-in Bluetooth. I had a Jabra Cruiser in my 09, which worked wonderfully, but it was a hassle to turn it on when needed all the time and remember to turn it back off.

-It appears to have an aux cabin heater as it was blowing warm air much sooner than the 09. How might I verify?
I'm going to make time to go thru the manual and see what other features I can make use of. Is there a site out there that can decode the VIN so that I can look specifically at it's features?

Here she is...

I want to do something about the wheels, to include selling them, but I will start a new thread in regards to plastidip...

Last edited:

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
No updates as far as I've heard (assuming your 2010 is engine code CJAA).
I've experienced a solid 5mpg loss in economy since the fix. Power& torque is there most of the time. It's happier/peppier between 2200-3000 RPM where it used to be plenty peppy from 1800-2600 RPM.
As far as engine noise, regents are more frequent so that may be contributing factor. As far as ride harshness/rattling...not sure how well suspension ages as function of time compared to mileage.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I owned both. 2010 always had more vibration generated by the engine. The CJAA engine
does not have balancing shaft as 2009 Jetta has and I think this is the main reason for the vibration

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh, ok. Good to know. I'll miss the smoothness, but I've owned diesels long enough that a little vibration doesn't bother me. It's just the rattles it causes that get to me...

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Hmm. My 2010 is almost as smooth as a good gasser 4 cyl. Below 2000 I can barely hear the engine. Way better than my Mk IV. It’s not ‘fixed’ yet though.

Only rattle up front is in the dash and related I think to my pulling the radio and dislodging some foam anti rattle stuff. Have to pull it again this summer and fix rattle. Rear suspension anti roll bar links clunk. Cheap to fix.

Lots of road noise from rear tires, much more than my MKIV and quite annoying when the back is empty. When the wheel wells were plugged with snow the noise went away somewhat so I may try some sound deadener in the wheel wells.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
That's interesting. My vibration at idle is enough to be seen in the rear view mirrors (blurry reflection)

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I have never noticed that. Not even on my Mk iv. Wife and I thought Mk vi much smoother than Mk iv when we first had it, of course the Mk iv had a few issues at the time we bought the Mk vi, minor and now fixed but the Mk vi is still noticeably smoother and quieter.

Mk iv wins in fun to drive around town though.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I performed an oil change this weekend with Lubrimoly and the engine has significantly quieted down and the vibrations have smoothed out considerably. Still not at the level the '09 was, but some good progress! Makes me nervous what oil was in it. Salesman said it had been changed recently (still clear on the dipstick) when I inquired about it and that it was ready for it's 1500 mile trip home. That's interesting because i've never known a diesel that had engine oil that clear even after seconds of running. Plus, he probably just used what was on the shelf as well. But I'm hoping any damage was minimal. Same salesman that told me it wasn't a smokers car...

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I thought the '09 had an aux heater also. when engine cold, set on only full defrost and full heat. not enough to feel warm but enough to clear windows fast.

I haven't noticed road noise since the removal of the stock Hankook tires. What a difference getting rid of those made!! But maybe just used to it by now. no buzzing or rattling yet on mine and I have also replaced the stereo head unit.

Yep...... Many used car lots will just throw whatever oil they have into it. just those few days of driving should be ok. Many of us always advise newbies to rechange the oil after buying a car from a lot.

When getting new tires once had the service adviser insisting that my oil was so dirty I was causing damage to my engine. When I told him it was a diesel, changed less than 1000 miles ago and that they don't stock the correct oil anyway he got irritated and told me he knew better than me what oil my car needed. When I got home found the cover for the air filter left open, the oil dipstick laying on the top of my engine cover. Took the car back for the tires to be re-balanced the next week and asked they not open the hood.