VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Seems about the same to me... You have to calculate car values and add it to the 5k. Just getting screwed on the 20-30% exchange if you want to look at it that way, but does not really count.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Interesting that the 14 & 15 beetles are worth more than double what the Golf & Jetta are on the low side.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
My 2010 in Canada:
$8,065 - $20,544
USA:
$13,675 - $15,350

So the maximum payout is higher, but the minimum...

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
The only option available to those of us (me) who purchased the car after September 18 2015 is an Approved Emissions Modification (providing the car lasts until approval). I believe our friends south of the border had the option of a buyback at a lesser amount than those who owner their car prior to September 18th.

Who pays for failed emission components from now until the time the Emission Modification is approved?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
My 2010 in Canada:
$8,065 - $20,544
USA:
$13,675 - $15,350

So the maximum payout is higher, but the minimum...
its relative to KBB price so it all depends on trim, condition, mileage.. and general value for where you are with the car.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
The only option available to those of us (me) who purchased the car after September 18 2015 is an Approved Emissions Modification (providing the car lasts until approval). I believe our friends south of the border had the option of a buyback at a lesser amount than those who owner their car prior to September 18th.
Well honestly, from a business perspective, I found it silly that VW was offering the buybacks to those that purchased after Sep 18/15. Anyone who bought after, bought at a discount knowing what they were buying. Why should they be compensated? The person who sold them the car should be compensated for the loss on the sale, but that's it. From a business perspective.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And yes, the values seem a little low to me as well. My car was worth more than $12 K when the scandal broke. I think in the US they adjusted the book value by 20%, and then added in the payment on top. They should do the same for here, as anyone could sell for more than CBB privately

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I feel bad, cause I love the car, but I'm so backwards in it, that it's makes more financial sense to do the buy back

I don't feel that VW did me wrong, but it doesn't make much sense financially to hold onto the car

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Looks like I may be eligible for $2,550 for my Jetta that was written off.

If you are an Eligible Seller and sell your vehicle before January 4, 2017, you can select a cash payment as shown below.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI

If you are an Eligible Seller and sell your vehicle before January 4, 2017, you can select a cash payment as shown below.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
anyone know the answer to my question?

what if you own a vehicle that is currently in your possession but not registered under your name with the MTO (ownership signed by seller)

The vehicle still has a lien with the original seller.

(seller purchased the car in 2013 with a loan from a bank - not from VW)

am i eligible to get money? and what happens to the original sellers lien?

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
Who pays for failed emission components from now until the time the Emission Modification is approved?

If you select the Approved Emissions Modification, you will receive the modification at no charge and a transferable extended emissions warranty, plus a cash payment.

Little Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta HL
So if I am reading right...the only way to get any compensation on tax value of equity of vehicle is to trade it on another VW. Otherwise you get nothing tax reimbursement.

If your buyback is equal to payout on loan which is likely a lot of cases, this would be no different than any other brand. The only thing VW is giving us is the cash value (say 5000.00). This would be mostly used up paying tax on new replacement brand X bought straight out.
Thus if you bail from VW you get exactly 0 for all the crap and drama. If you by another VW you get at least your buyback cars tax value credited toward new VW. A sneaky way to force you to buy another VW or lose another chunk of change. Unless there is a way to get credit for this tax value on purache of another non VW?

Am I wrong?

rocketboy

TDI
2006 Jetta HL TDI & 2014 Passat HL TDI
Luckily for me I paid 20k for my mint Passat highline TDI with sport package Just barely after the scandal broke.

I guess I'll get a $3k cheque and call it a day.
17k for almost brand new car isn't a bad deal. :cool:

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I feel bad, cause I love the car, but I'm so backwards in it, that it's makes more financial sense to do the buy back

I don't feel that VW did me wrong, but it doesn't make much sense financially to hold onto the car
Unfortunately I feel the same way. I think the best plan for me would be to give this car back but get into a newer TDI.....the only way i see doing this is by buying one from a non-w dealer in the very near future. Maybe something to think about?

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
That's the dilemma, no TDIs to be offered in the short future, might have to jump ship and get a ecodiesel or Colorado i've been eyeing up

If the buggers would just bring the Amarok, Atlas or Tiguan in diesel, I might stick around

Unfortunately I feel the same way. I think the best plan for me would be to give this car back but get into a newer TDI.....the only way i see doing this is by buying one from a non-w dealer in the very near future. Maybe something to think about?

winks

Veteran Member

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
That's the dilemma, no TDIs to be offered in the short future, might have to jump ship and get a ecodiesel or Colorado i've been eyeing up
If the buggers would just bring the Amarok, Atlas or Tiguan in diesel, I might stick around
did you not see '******'s reaction to Dieselgate'? the Americans got what they wanted, a three-row SUV. VW is going to abandon North America (including Canada) and you will NEVER see another new diesel here, especially Amarok. quite dreaming and get back to work... :D

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How does your write-off/insurance payout plus cash payment, compare to the buy-back + higher cash payment had you not had that accident? Just curious

Booth44

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
The buyout value for my 2013 per the US Settlement #s - $24,077 USD.

Per the Canadian #s - $16,250 (from Canadian Black Book) + $5,500 = $21,750 CAD.

Pretty huge difference @ 1.34 exchange rate!

The car is worth more (to me) than $21.5k so I'm not selling. Pretty reasonable offer, though. (Based on my back-of-the-envelope calculations. I realize the final #s will change).

Last edited:

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
How does your write-off/insurance payout plus cash payment, compare to the buy-back + higher cash payment had you not had that accident? Just curious
Insurance payout was $10,619 (excluding HST) Clean retail value https://www.impactauto.ca/Vehicles/VehicleDetails?itemid=602174
VW Settlement $2,550
Total payment $13,169

Versus

If you choose a Buyback, Volkswagen will offer to buy back your vehicle at its Vehicle Value and provide an additional cash payment based on your Settlement Class Member category (see Question H). Vehicle Value is your vehicle’s wholesale value on September 18, 2015, as independently determined by Canadian Black Book, Inc. (“CBB”), based on your vehicle’s brand, model year, model, trim level, factory options and mileage at the time that the offer is made.

Not sure what wholesale value on my 2011 Jetta Highline with 244,000 Kms now (probably 220,000 kms in Sept 2015) was worth then.

I am guessing $8,000?
Buyback $5,500
Total Payment $13,500

I think I came out good from this as I bought the car in Sept 2013 for $13,850 (exc HST) drove it for just over 3 years and will get $13,169 (exc HST). This excludes the $1K in VW gift cards. My calculations exclude any maintenance e.g. T/Belt, 2 new tires, DSG service and brakes that were replaced.

What annoys me is that VW Canada is only giving wholesale value for VW's for buyback but market value for trade ins?

For my current replacement car 2014 VW Comfortline Jetta 127,000 kms (bought in Nov 2016):

I paid $12,300 (exc HST)
Settlement with approved modification -$2,975
Total Cost $9,325 (exc HST)

Not bad:rolleyes:

Last edited: