Downtime: Monday June 10, 2002

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Thanks to all the donations a few months ago, the upgrades to the server is finally going in. Testing in advance has been done and Monday around 3:30PM PDT the hardware will be upgraded. Should not be longer than 30minutes.

S

SkyPup

Sounds real good. Will we notice any change in speed, etc?

Have you ever thought about installing an Adaptec RAID 1 card and mirror image hard drive? That would speed things up somewhat and insure more stability in times of crashes.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
There should be some improvement in speed, but the main thing is to get server quality parts into the server.
We are running most of the system on IDE RAID5, and in the comming months will finish adding a set of mirrored SCSII drives. Once everything is in place, we should be able to operate without worrying about a HD crash...

PS this is will happen in about 1 1/2 hours from now.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Nothing ever quit goes as planned, so downtime was a little longer, but things look good and stable now. CPU load is minimal now, even with Recent Visitors enabled for load testing.

S

SkyPup

Nice work Fred, thanks for your hard work and all the support from the TDI club members for helping to make this happen!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Your right Skypup.

These upgrades would not have been possible without the support of the forum membership. I'm always amazed at the support everyone provides for others here. This is what keeps us going as a group.

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you haven't already bought the SCSI hardware you might consider using a 3Ware IDE RAID controller with IDE drives instead.

The 3ware controller puts each drive on a single bus and implements most of the SCSI logic on top of IDE drives and appear as SCSI controllers to most operating systems. The cards support RAID 1, 0, 1+0, or 5. You can get a 4port 3Ware card for about $100 from http://www.hypermicro.com.

I upgraded from 4 mirrored ultra-wide 7200rpm SCSI disks on a DPT caching SCSI RAID controller to a 2 port 3ware card with 2 mirroed 7200rpm disks and have been very impressed. I get better performance with the 3ware card and modern drives and the 3ware setup was much less expensive (in fact the price that I sold the SCSI hardware for almost covered the new cost of the 3ware controller and IDE drives).

I run a similar site (albeit email based) to tdiclub for bicycles called bikelist.org.

alex

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Was it a success?