2013 q7 tdi anyone with aftermarket "lock in hubs"

enatman

TDI
current 2006 brm, 2014 passat SE returned, 2000 jetta 404k (sold)
I know it sounds outdated...But I don't need awd all the time..has anyone ever installed lock in hubs on the front on their q7?

enatman

TDI
current 2006 brm, 2014 passat SE returned, 2000 jetta 404k (sold)
will this set off the computer?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Good news, it isn't sending full power to the front wheels all the time already.

You have a solution in search of a problem. And adding something to an already very complex vehicle is probably not the best. I will go out on a sturdy limb here and say nobody has ever done this. And in order for a mechanism that decouples the front drive axles from the hubs to be of any difference, you'd also need some mechanism to decouple the front driveshaft at the transfer case. Which would add in even more work, and you'd probably just need to use a completely different transfer case.

The only reason I could see for this would be for any performance or fuel economy loss associated with spinning the front driveline all the time. However, this is trivial giving the two and a half tons of meat the engine is already pushing around. I don't think you'd notice it all that much.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you really want that capability, you'd be better off trading the Audi for a Jeep. There are diesel Jeep options now.