Problem with getting 3rd gear. *UPDATE*

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Ok, here's the poop. I reset the linkages to try and solve the problem, twice. No dice. I can upshift through the pattern fine until it gets real hot, then 3rd is stubborn. Downshifting from 5/4 is sometimes an issue but 4/3 is no dice. no way. no how.

Bently is seriously vague on this. I'm assuming its the trans and or the shift selector rod issue and not the box under the shift lever itself which still feels nice and tight.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated as it's a safety issue and goes to the shop tomorrow. Also, I would assume since it's a lubricated internal part it's covered under the powertrain warranty?.!

FWIW it also has the spyder gear/thrust washer noise and had the fluid changed every 20K (90K currently) since new and the "special fluid" for te noise 8K ago.

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI
Stepfather of an '03 Jetta TDI, still miss my chipped 1999 Bright Blue NB Totaled 10/2011; 2011 TR GTI, 1998 NB 2.slo0
Problem with getting 3rd gear.

My NB has the same problem since last winter, and it has been getting worse ever since. At this point, the only way I can get it into 3rd is from 2nd, and I have to work it to do that. Downshifts from 5th or 4th to 3rd just don't happen. Sometimes upshifts don't happen either. No grinding, just the inability to select the gear. Like yours, it gets worse when it gets hot.

A few thousand miles ago, I had a battery leak that dripped down onto the linkage which ate away some of the plastic parts.

It's in the shop right now, and my mechanic tells me that most of the linkage is pretty worn out, and there is a lot of slop in the linkage. He has ordered 2 parts which will be in today, and it should be as good as new by tonight. I'll let you know how it comes out. Sounds like you'll be needing the same parts. Probably not a hard job, I just don't have the time to futz with it.

jasonTDI

TDI

Thanks. Exact same issue. I'll know in a few hours too. I might look into a shorter throw one. Anybody know if the R32 or others is a lot shorter? Just wondering.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI

I think that the third gear balkiness could be a bad syncro for that gear. Try Redline gear oil and see what happens.

Assuming that y'all have 2000 or later cars, the R32 shift mechanism is different since it has six speed linkage parts on top of the transmission and they are quite different. The shifter shaft in the R32 is 1/2" shorter but it is such an incredible pain to change that it is not worth the effort, especially since it would only reduce your throws by 5-10%. My shortshifters will do a lot more than that for a lot less hassle.

jasonTDI

TDI

Thanks Jim,

I also was speculating on a bad selector rod shaft, but Bently dosen't cover that part. have a 20 year VW mechanic looking at it and should know something soon. If it is the shaft it will be warranty. If it's the linkage I be calling you for a new kit overnight to have installed. Why pay 2x's as much for the crappy VW part when you can have much better!

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI

Yur welcome, Jason. I would not suspect the selector shaft. Never seen one fail though I've seen some 1.8Ters pop the selector shaft past it's stops inside the tranny when drag racing. The selector shafts weren't the weak link in those situations...

jasonTDI

TDI

Ok, Got the scoop.

The selector rod is gone. It's got some side -to-side slop apparently. They dealer tired a new linkage just to make sure after 3 tries to adjust it. (I tired 3 adjustments too) No go. New linkage did not solve it. Also if it was the synchro it should be able to get the gear with the proper double clutch/rev match and that is not happening. Parts are on order and it will be here in 2-3 days.

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI
Stepfather of an '03 Jetta TDI, still miss my chipped 1999 Bright Blue NB Totaled 10/2011; 2011 TR GTI, 1998 NB 2.slo0

I hope that fixes yours, because mine is gonna need a tranny R&R. My mechanic replaced and adjusted all of the shift linkage parts that were worn, and adjusted it every which way he could, and the problem still exists. He said it's either a bad syncro or a bent shift fork inside the transmission. Ouch.

I love my Beetle, but with all of the trouble I have had with this car, both major and minor things, this is my first and last VW. I have just put way too much money into this car in 112K miles to keep it drivable. Thank God for Fred's, else I probably would have doubled the amount of cash outlay since 1999.

The irony of the situation is that my father-in-law drove me over to pick up my car in a 1953 Ford that still has the original transmission. Maybe my next car will be a Ford - NOT!

cage

Top Post Dawg

My theory which might mean absolutely nothing. I removed the shift weight from my transmission when my car was still pretty new and my linkage and shifting is still flawless after 6 years and 91,000 miles. My daily drive to work isn't highway either. I think that heavy weitht hanging off the shift linkage is stupid especially with the vibration that a TDI makes. The inertia of that wieght vibrating is like a hammer constantly working on the shaft and shift forks. I also LOVE how my shifter clicks in without that clunky thing flopping around. I can actually feel what is going on inside the transmission.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI

This is exactly how my Race shifter works and many people like the feel as well. I almost have ready a new add-on device that will make it even better.

Cage said,
"My theory which might mean absolutely nothing. I removed the shift weight from my transmission when my car was still pretty new and my linkage and shifting is still flawless after 6 years and 91,000 miles. My daily drive to work isn't highway either. I think that heavy weitht hanging off the shift linkage is stupid especially with the vibration that a TDI makes. The inertia of that wieght vibrating is like a hammer constantly working on the shaft and shift forks. I also LOVE how my shifter clicks in without that clunky thing flopping around. I can actually feel what is going on inside the transmission."

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow

Has anybody tried the old DG short shifter without the weight? I might try that.

cage

Top Post Dawg

Yeah shift weight. If you look (or feel) at the top of your transmission kind of under the air box/battery area, you will see/feel the weight connected to the shift linkage. It sticks up from the transmission. It is there to "improve feel" of the shifting. In my opinion it makes the thing feel clunky and sloppy. It is also hanging on the poor linkage shaft wiggling around as the drivetrain vibrates. Since mine has been removed I have had far fewer missed shifts too.

cage

Top Post Dawg

More info... What the weight does is it swings when you push foreward and back on the shifter. It isn't affected by the side to side motion of the shifter. That swinging motion is supposed to ad a more weighty feel to the shifter. With the weight removed you really "feel" what is going on with the transmission. You actually feel the gears engage and click in. It is way better. Like I said it cut down my missed shifts by about 95%. (not that I miss THAT many shifts)

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS

You, in this car I have missed too many shifts, wonder that is part of the problem? (That, or the fact that the clutch now moves an inch or so further than my last car.). Hmm, might have to look when I get home and see what it'll take to remove. Always did wonder what that thing did, looks sorta like a golf club putter or something. Thanks.

cage

Top Post Dawg

Yeah thats it. My car is a 98 Beetle and the weight was held on by a bolt. I heard (never saw) that the newer transmissions have it as part of the actual cable connection so you can't just unbolt you actually have to hack saw it off. It sounds scary but trust me you will like it gone!

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Has anybody tried the old DG short shifter without the weight? I might try that.
My car came with one (bought it used) and I went back to stock. I didn't like the additional force required to shift.

I would recommend trying one before you buy it. If you ask around there is probably someone on the forums in your area who has the short shift kit installed.

alex

jasonTDI

TDI

TTT. Repair happening on Friday. I'll let you guys know the results.

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI

Jason, it's interesting that both our cars have a VR6 clutch/lightened flywheel, and both exhibit the same 3rd gear problem. Coincidence? Probably not, as many owners have installed this combination, but I will be interested in your repair results. Let us know.

jasonTDI

TDI

Well they RR the shift shaft today. Better, but not right yet. They ordered a new set of syncros for the tranny any should have them by Tuesday. The good news is the trans is coming out and I ordered a new Clutch kit for it just in case. Good timing though since I'm starting to get some noise from the throwout bearing.

Gotta love the 100K powertrain warranty.

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI

Well, that settles it for me. I was really hoping the new selector rod in yours would do the trick, but it looks like mine's gotta come out. I'm betting the syncros are bad....

Yes you do have to love the 100K Power train warranty, unless you have 112,000 miles.

jasonTDI

TDI

Sucks. BTW Did you have the noise that went with the thrust washers and the spyder gears when turning. I'm trying to find the connection between them. Since there are parts rubbing to get the noise there has to be metal in the system causing the wear. VW says no way. I don't think so. I put over 300K on a BMW manual box and it shifted as good as the day I bought it.

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI

No, no noise at all. The tranny is find except for shifting into 3rd. Upshifted require a stick jiggle as it is entering the gate, and downshifts to 3rd just don't work.

jasonTDI

TDI

Here's the deal. 3rd, 5th and reverse are gone. the ENTIRE differential is gone as well.

I've had the grinding in the diff since 8K or so, progressivly worse. Currently 90K miles. I changed the fluid every 15K miles too. I think the issue relates back to VW's sloppy differential. The grinding is from the spyder gears and the thrust washers. the washers wear so loose there was at least 1/4 side to side and lateral play in them. It is clear to me where the garbage was coming from that destroyed the transmision. 90% of the miles were highway. By that I mean 50+ miles at a time. Those of you with the noise NEED to have VW tear down the trans. The heavy oil is only a band-aid to the REAL PROBLEM. BAD DIFFERENTIALS. IT's CRAP. And should not be tolerated by anyone.

I'm lucky in this case that I'm not on the hook for more than a new clutch, PP and a few items.

NOT GOOD!

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI

So far, I have no differential problem, so my repairs will hopefully just be transmission related. When you say 3rd, 5th and reverse are gone, you mean they need to be replaced? So you are facing a tranny and differential rebuild? Keep us informed....

jasonTDI

TDI

Yes, they are replacing all the synchros and reverse, 3rd, 5th gear. The differential is also being replaced as it is worn way beyond spec. The cause of the issues is due to the thrust washer/spyder gear noise. The rubbing put metal in the lube which circulated around the box. Not good. The wear happened in the gears that were used the most, 3rd for around town, 5th for the highway.

Also stopped back over there today to make sure they were replacing the motor mount strech bolts and not reinstalling them as they would probably have done.

jasonTDI

TDI

What does this noise sound like. I am talking the noise that started at 8k?

You get a low rumble when turning. Since the car is on the strait gear when it goes in a strait line you don't get the noise. When you turn you are using the spyder gears to make up for the different wheel speeds. The further it wears, the louder it gets. Mine was loud enough to make people turn their heads when I went around a corner. Not good.

The tech stated that he "had seen far worse in far, far ,far fewer miles. Clearly the car is not abused."

Just crappy QC from VW. IMO.

jasonTDI

TDI
OK Gang!

Got the ride back today! WhhoooooooooHHHHooooooooo!!!

FINALLY!!!!!

First. Cost me $89 and some change. For a ouput shaft sleve that the throwout bearing rides on and the labor to RR the clutch and flywheel. Personally, I think that should be free since it SLIDES on and off in about 45 seconds....

Anyway.

Parts:

02j-301-231-B Housing 1
02j-301-233-AF Rod 1
02a-311-269E Ring 2
02a-311-301d synchro hub 1
02a-311-129aa gear 1
02a-301-215a gasket 1
AMV-188-200-03 paste 1
02a-311-490k fork 1
02a-311-335d screw 2
02j-311-239j synchro hub 1
02a-311-531k wheel 1
084-409-189b seal 2
02j-311-261j gear 1
N-903-649-01 seal 4
N-903-620-01 seal 4
02a-311-158e gear 1
02s-498-081 diff pinion 1
02a-141-180a sleeve 1
N-903-554-04 bolt 3

Per he work order:

Replace transmission selector shaft
Replace 3-4 synchro assembly
Replace 1-2 synchro assembly
Replace 3rd and 4th gear synchro rings and reverse gear
replace noisy differential side gears
RR the trans and clutch assembly
bleed system
restore electrical power procedure

Plus I supplied them with the clutch kit. Total OOP expense was $89.52. Not bad considering the total would have been $2500 or so out of warranty.

Couple of notes. The VR6 Clutch package is a LOT quieter this time. Almost no noise compared to the prior VR6 clutch kit. I think the issue was that the springs on the clutch itself were rubbing on the presure plate and transmitting the vibration noise before. Could have been a manufacturing issue. Who knows. Good news is it's quiet.

Also the noisy differential spyder gears are history. THANK GOD! The new one have been coated with a slick coating supposedly to make them quieter. I don't care what they put on them. For the first time in 80K I don't have ANY noise while turning a corner.

The shift pattern is like butter now too. I tink it was never quite right from the factory. It never shifter this smooth.

In all 9 days. Worth the wait though. Good to go for the life of the car hopefully!

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI
Any indications of what caused the trouble?