cracked head?

ajoncar

TDI
2000 jetta tdi, 2003 jetta tdi wagon
So I think ive pretty much figured out already that I have at the least a leaking head gasket as my cooling system is being pressurized. I overheated afew times months ago due to other cooling issues and fear this is the reason for my current issue.

Today I noticed that there are small bubbles occasionally coming out by the gasket between the exhaust mainfold and the head (on cylinder 4). That is what is making me think that the head may be cracked.

Any opinions?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Well it's either warped or cracked. Most diesels crack heads when overheated. The TDIs seem to blow head gaskets, perhaps due to warped heads. Either way it's coming off and going to the machine shop and maybe getting ditched and replaced.

ALL diesels are VERY intolerant of overheats. You can get away with it, sometimes, with a gas engine. You almost never will with a diesel.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Diesels are very intolerant of heat is an understatement. Had a piston explode on a 15 liter heavy duty engine once due to heat. Good times. Was on the dyno when it did it.

I wouldn't drive it long like that, the combustion gasses in the coolant can eventually start to rot the block out.

ajoncar

TDI
I had considered trying arp headbolts to see if i could remedy the situation for awhile. Is this worth a shot?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope. Only real way to fix it is verify flatness and replace head gasket.

ajoncar

TDI
iver read conflicting reports about if you should put in a hg of the same or thicker. I have a 2 hole now. Should I replace with a 2 hole or 3 hole?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Put the same HG as removed, if you are sure it was never changed before.
If you put a three hole gasket you will lower the compression ratio of the engine.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Put the same HG as removed, if you are sure it was never changed before.
If you put a three hole gasket you will lower the compression ratio of the engine.
Out of curiosity, is it enough to really make a significant difference?

ajoncar

TDI
I did the timing belt about 25k mi ago. That wouldn't be worth redoing, would it? Also the motor has about 200k on it now, what about the cam, lifters etc?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
How's it behaving? Examine the cam (chamfer) and the visible portion of the lifters. You might proactively change them but you can do both from the top with the head on, so assuming they look ok and there's no need to send the head out then I probably wouldn't. Ditto on the timing belt.

Use the same number of holes for the gasket as the one in there. If you want to measure piston protrusion that's ok too, but assuming you have no reason to believe you've hydrolocked or had an "event" (e.g. you're not checking for bent rods) and the head hasn't been off the protrusion hasn't changed.

If the head is cracked it's junk. Don't buy a Chineesium one; I'd find a usable one off a pick-n-pull or similar and either use it as it sits or send it out and have it reworked (e.g. new guides, etc) and install that.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I did the timing belt about 25k mi ago. That wouldn't be worth redoing, would it? Also the motor has about 200k on it now, what about the cam, lifters etc?
If you are going to go thru the effort/expense of getting the head fixed/replaced and plan to keep the car for an extended time or the long haul I would do cam and lifters. They are relatively inexpensive and don't generally last forever anyways.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Out of curiosity, is it enough to really make a significant difference?

Nero, from what I’ve read it does, I don’t have the actual numbers, I’ve seen them float around on various threads.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable then me can post that info.

Also If the head is cracked don’t scrap it, contact Franko6 on here, he can do incredible things with heads that are considered trash, he useally has exchange ones, you give him yours and if salvageable you pay for an exchanged on the has been gone over and almost be like new.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
There is a measurement to make to determine hg thickness. No need for stronger bolts.
But I think you need to go a bit further assessing the potential block damage.
Timing belt, it's good practice to at least install a new tensioner.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is a measurement to make to determine hg thickness. No need for stronger bolts.
But I think you need to go a bit further assessing the potential block damage.
Timing belt, it's good practice to at least install a new tensioner.
I second this. But still keep the belt as 25k miles old.

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
I had bubbles coming out of the exhaust manifold as well on 1 and 4, replaced the valve stem seals and that stopped. There was oil running down the back of the block under those ports.

ajoncar

TDI
So you were getting h2o/coolant coming through your valve stem seals? were you loosing a significant amount of water due to that, because I am. My coolant light comes on (overflow tank empty) after about 35 miles of mountain driving. Did you suspect a head gasket in your case? Im planning on pulling the head in afew hours but this is making me reconsider...