Enter the IDParts Cold Start Contest!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI

See all entries in the 2016 IDParts.com Cold Start Contest YouTube Playlist

We are giving out over $1000 in gift vouchers to the winners of the 2016 Cold Start Contest. Participating in the cold start contest is easy: film yourself starting your diesel in the cold, upload it to YouTube and send us a link! If the video meets the requirements below, your video will be added to our 2016 Cold Start Contest playlist and you will be officially entered to win.
Cold weather brings out the “character” of diesel engines. Weak batteries, starters and glow plugs can make starting fairly dramatic at times. When everything is healthy though, diesel engines can start smoothly even in the most extreme conditions. Because of this, we love watching videos of diesel owners starting their diesels in the worst of winter. Last year we awarded 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes, along with some honorable mentions. This year there are MORE prizes broken up into different categories. Take a look at them below:

$100 - 7 Best Cold Start Winners for each of the following platforms:

*Best TDI rotary pump engine start (AHU, 1Z, ALH engines)
*Best PD Engine Start
*Best TDI Common Rail Engine Start
*Best Mercedes Rotary Pump Start
*Best Mercedes Common Rail Start (2005+ CDI & BlueTEC)
*Best Jeep/Dodge Start
*Best Sprinter Start

Honorable Mention Awards

$100 - Coldest Temperature Start (video must show thermometer in video)
$100 - Most FAIL (the car that struggles the most and still fails to start)
$100 - Most Dramatic (the car that struggles the most but succeeds)
$100 - Most Creative video
Year this we are also giving out a $100 prize for the Best FrostHeater Start. The prize will be awarded the best video with the combination of easy starting and coldest temperature where a Frostheater was used.
Important Rules

Only one win per person. For example, this means that same person cannot win for both Coldest Temperature and a Best Cold Start.
To be officially entered your video must meet the following requirements:
*You must say in your video: “This video is for the 2016 IDParts.com cold start contest.”
*You must identify your vehicle, year-make-model, and any modifications, including add-ons like FrostHeaters. Please also state the temperature (to be considered for the coldest start the temperature must be shown on a thermometer in the video)
*You must upload the video to YouTube.com and it must be publicly visible.

Last edited:

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Here's mine;

-28c deathly cold start with lots of smoke 2004 BEW wagon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSnTUx0t8h4

At the 1st start if you do not disengage the starter until it is running smoother (i think it was about 48 seconds in) it would have started. After that the oil pressure is to hi for the starter to crank it fast enough.
I have done good amount of cold starts on small diesels and the above has work real good over the years.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Who is the guy who cycled his glow plugs over and over until the battery died? :eek:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
He didn't cycle them til the battery died, there was a few start attempts in there too...:rolleyes:

ToucanLife

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
At the 1st start if you do not disengage the starter until it is running smoother (i think it was about 48 seconds in) it would have started. After that the oil pressure is to hi for the starter to crank it fast enough.
I have done good amount of cold starts on small diesels and the above has work real good over the years.
Thank you for the tip! That make a lot of sense, I was worried it would be hard on the starter to leave it spinning with the engine firing but I guess not!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Final day to enter. Unfortunately winter was NOT cooperating this year. It is currently 60 degrees in Boston. :(