Auto Polar FIS+ Advance (MBV in the MFD) OEM+

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
There are only 3 on the CRKA. EGT(PreTurbo), Cat B1S1(PreDPF), and Cat B1S2(PostDPF).

There is not a 4th.
I saw 4 with vcds
209 Exhaust gas temperature sensor 1 87.7 °C
211 Exhaust gas temperature sensor 2 109.0 °C
213 Exhaust gas temperature sensor 3 118.0 °C
215 Exhaust gas temperature sensor 4 52.7 °C
Apparently the Passat's exhaust system and the Polar software for it is pretty much the same as for my '09 CBEA. The engine actually has 4 exhaust temp sensors, but the Polar FIS+ only shows 3 of them. This is just fine with me. IMHO, the pre-turbo and the DPF in and out temps are really the only important ones for monitoring regens. The only reason to care about the 4th one is if it fails - then I would whip out VCDS. In normal driving, I have no need to see the temp between the turbo and the DOC/DPF.

Have Fun!

Don

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I saw 4 with vcds

Address 01: Engine (03L 906 012 BN)

18:51:08
209 Exhaust gas temperature sensor 1 87.7 °C
211 Exhaust gas temperature sensor 2 109.0 °C
213 Exhaust gas temperature sensor 3 118.0 °C
215 Exhaust gas temperature sensor 4 52.7 °C
410 Particle filter; oil ash volume 4.0 g
411 Particle filter; oil ash volume 0.01 l
412 Particle filter; soot mass calculated 16.86 g
413 Particle filter; soot mass measured 7.93 g
414 Particle filter; time since last regeneration 25628 s
Interesting...never saw the 4th one when looking around. So where exactly is it? Diagram anybody?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
Can someone confirm if oil pressure values are seen with VCDS? This value would be another grate one to see with the PF03 in the cluster.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Great thread Hypermile...appreciate your efforts!

This product looks very appealing to me as I find the MFD pretty useless in general and would prefer to display EGT and boost info there and ditch the SG-II.

Silly question I'm sure, but each time there is an update the device must be removed/updated/re-installed, correct? Any concerns about glitches and overall stability at this point?

Thanks In Advance!
Lee

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silly question I'm sure, but each time there is an update the device must be removed/updated/re-installed, correct? Any concerns about glitches and overall stability at this point?
It does not need to be removed to be updated, but you do have to plug a USB cable into it. This can mean removing a cover to get access, or you can do what I did - I just left a USB cable plugged into the device and I ran it out through a hole in the lower dash cover. Then I just taped the free end of the cable to an out of the way place. When it is time for a firmware update, I remove the tape, plug the wire into my computer, and let the computer "call home" to Polar and it updates the firmware in only a few minutes.
I have seen no glitches or instability in the month or two that I have owned this device, even when running Beta software. It appears to be quite stable.

Have Fun!

Don

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Interesting...never saw the 4th one when looking around. So where exactly is it? Diagram anybody?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ask and you shall receive!:D Pretty sure this is true for the CKRA as well as the CJAA and CBEA.

1. Pre-Turbo (not shown)
2. Post-Turbo (not shown)
3. Post-DOC (AKA pre-DPF)
4. Post DPF

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
^ I believe I saw both those diags in the SGII thread as well.

Any word on oil pressure MBV, anyone?

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Great thread Hypermile...appreciate your efforts!
This product looks very appealing to me as I find the MFD pretty useless in general and would prefer to display EGT and boost info there and ditch the SG-II.
Thanks In Advance!
Lee
Thanks Lee, always willing to share with the community. The amount of time and money I saved on audizine was fenamonal! TDIclub is no different,
love this place, only complant about B7 passat section espically on vortex, is that it's not as live as the B7 A4 section on audizine.

Like Don said, you don't have to uninstall the device to do updates.
After the initial install, you can reach the USB port on the device by removing the little drawer by your left knee, just make sure you install the FIS is a way where the USB post is accessible form the drivers side.
You'll know what I me once you get down there for the initial install.
As for the stibility, I have yet to encounter any issues.
I'm trying to upload a 10 min video of a complete regen on photobucket, to post here, so you guys can see how simple and helpful the product is.
As far as boost gauge, yes it's not an analog gauge like my A4, but with my A4 I can drive out of boost all day (hypermiling lol), not the same for turbo diesel (no negative boost).
For the purpose of the NMS, boost gauge will help determine issues and let you know that your turbo is still alive.

GL, you will not be desipointed. Remember to send an auto scan befor placing your order.

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
I recommend finding a local member with vag-com for the auto scan. 95% sure it will work, but can't be 100% certain, because you have a '12 6MT and mine is a '13 DSG, maybe some one with a '12 6MT can chime in.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
One last question for today... :)

Is there an option to display temps in fahrenheit? I didn't see that option in my quick read through the manual.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Ask as many questions as you like, that's what forums are for lol

It auto detects your MFD unit preferance and shows values in the same unit.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is there an option to display temps in fahrenheit? I didn't see that option in my quick read through the manual.
Ask as many questions as you like, that's what forums are for lol

It auto detects your MFD unit preference and shows values in the same unit.
It detects language and probably a few other things, but temperatures are apparently not one of them. Mine started out showing all temps in degrees C. and I live in the USA. However, to answer the OP's question, there are setup options to select lots of things such as:
Temps in degrees F. or C.
Boost Pressures in Bar, mBar, and psi
How/where to read boost pressure
Distances in kilometers or miles
and a few others

BTW: Since you have a North American Passat (NMS), I would suggest you install the latest beta version of their software. They are still doing some tweaking on some of the DPF measurements in the American built Passat's ECU. Luckily they have an active forum, and add user suggestions to their "to-do" list for the next version. They appear to be very responsive.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I wish my Jetta had that little "drawer by my left knee" to get access to plug the USB cable into the box. I have to remove 2 torx screws and pull down a cover and then lie on my back on the floor with my butt hanging out of the driver's door. This is why I left the USB cable plugged in.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I am curious if you can get actual oil temp with VCDS. When I have logged both water & oil temps I get approx 20-25F (11-14C) offset between oil and water with oil being hotter. Even when the car has not been started for 2 days. I have suspected that the oil temperature reported by VCDS is calculated by the cars ECU and there is no actual oil temp sensor. Can anyone confirm this one way or another.
Confirmed - there is no actual oil temp sensor in the CKRA oil pan, unless you have a VR6 or add your own. Then there seems to be a firmware issue with the Kombi cluster and it will not show unless I can figure out a way to hack the eeprom in the cluster. See this thread about adding an oil temp sensor:Oil temp Sensor

Oil level and temp seem to be at odds though. IIRC from my reading our cars do not have sensors for these things. It would be hard to get readings with no sensors in place.
I am really curious if this would display the true oil temp as I do have the oil level/temp sensor installed. Anybody want to buy a lightly used scangage II?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I went to buy one today, but was put off by having to register and provide passport number and birth date. Is this something everyone else did and are you comfortable giving out that personal info? I see no real need for them to have this. It is being shipped to the US after all and seems to have to do with not paying the VAT tax.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
I just put random numbers for the passport, it's more for Euro buyers and has to do with VAT. Most online places will make you register with a user name and password now a days anyways. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, contact Movitel via the info I provided, paste a link of this thread and ask them to send you a paypal invoice. Don't let minor bureaucracy stop you from getting such a great product.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well it said it was required info, so I stopped until I found out. Today I will do as you did and put bogus numbers in. Thanks! I have no problem with registering just don't want to furnish personal info if I don't have to.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hypermile; I didn't look at your profile until after I watched your video.
I figured you had to be Canadian (or Brit) - Temps in Centigrade, but boost in psi - LOL

Have Fun!

Don

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I went to buy one today, but was put off by having to register and provide passport number and birth date. Is this something everyone else did and are you comfortable giving out that personal info? I see no real need for them to have this. It is being shipped to the US after all and seems to have to do with not paying the VAT tax.
I ordered one last night by sending them an email from their site with my address/phone, requesting payment via PayPal, and asking for the 10% discount. This morning I had an email waiting with instructions to login to their site (they created an account for me) and pay the invoice. By ordering in this manner, I didn't need to provide any additional information....

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The guys at Movitel are switched ON for sure! Your get the fis tomorrow or Monday for sure!
...as long as DHL doesn't screw things up. Mine took three days to get to me, but it was all DHL's fault. It cleared customs in Los Angeles in one day, and it should have been here the next day. However, it was mistakenly shipped to Sacramento, CA and then to San Francisco, CA. From there it was sent to Cincinnati, Ohio (I have no idea why) and then sent back to Las Vegas, NV. Therefore, for some reason, my PolarFIS+ took a nice tour of US airports before arriving at my house. I must agree that the guys at Movitel do a great job. Not only do they do a great job, but they also sell it at the lowest price I have seen.

Have Fun!

Don

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
ORDERED. Found out that IE works while Chrome was cranky. My master card was not a verified card, the MC system was unavailable so I couldn't make it verified either, so I had movitelonline change payment to paypal and it went through at $359 (with the 10% discount, no less). It should ship today - we'll see how long it takes to get halfway around the globe! The vendor is on it - couple emails and about 10 minutes, I was able to paypal the payment and done. Scangage going in the classifieds next week.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
^ welcome to the club Norm!

The "AudBlue tank" parm. keeps telling me 77.0 or 76.9, since I got the PF03, I suspect it's reading the wrong MBV. Does anyone know what MBV channel shows the current tank level? Also, what MBV channel shows oil pressure.

Trying to get AdBlue tank reading fixed and add oil pressure.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ORDERED. paypal and it went through at $359 (with the 10% discount, no less). It should ship today -
Boy, the Euro must have gone up in value (and/or the Dollar down) in the last month of two. Mine came out to be only about $315 (with 10% discount and PayPal fee also). Since the price is in Euros what we pay on this side of the pond can vary a lot. You will like it.

One thing to know (in case you are not a manual reader). When the PolarFIS is using the diagnostic bus (the best way to read boost), you do not want to try to use VCDS while the PolarFIS+ is active (on your MFD). Our CAN bus is not smart enough to handle two different computers using the same bus at the same time. Always switch back to the standard VW MFD screen before trying to use VCDS.

Have Fun!

Don

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
ORDERED. Found out that IE works while Chrome was cranky. My master card was not a verified card, the MC system was unavailable so I couldn't make it verified either, so I had movitelonline change payment to paypal and it went through at $359 (with the 10% discount, no less). It should ship today - we'll see how long it takes to get halfway around the globe! The vendor is on it - couple emails and about 10 minutes, I was able to paypal the payment and done. Scangage going in the classifieds next week.
My total was $10 less and ordered within a day of yours -- difference in shipping between CA and HI maybe?

Edit: I might still see a 3% foreign transaction fee from my CC, which would be about $10.

Last edited:

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
The "AudBlue tank" parm. keeps telling me 77.0 or 76.9, since I got the PF03, I suspect it's reading the wrong MBV.
What's the unit of measure for the adblue? I'd assume it will vary/drop very slowly given how little is used.

Do a quick 1,000 mile run and report back. :D