MK3 Boost readings

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I finally got around to installing a boost gauge in my MK3 and was wondering if my boost readings are normal for my specific set up?

I have a K03/04 turbo, 520 sprints and a tune of unknown (to me) origin. I have a stock MK3 map sensor and I tee'd into the boost line that goes to the ecu.

Boost numbers are:

WOT in 3rd and 4th--spikes at around 20psi, then settles down to around 18psi.

Freeway driving, cc on at 65 mph, flat road--runs around 5psi.

Do those numbers sound reasonably normal?

Thanks

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
With a tune, that sounds about right. Nice gauge, btw.... too rich for my blood. I think they’re made in Oregon.

-Todd

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Gauge is expensive. The gauge pod is a 2" pcv 45* elbow, <$2. It fits the gauge and cup holder perfectly. Will cut it shorter so it sits a little lower, then paint it flat black.

Thanks for the feedback Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I priced them a while back. They cater to the diesel crowd.

42 Draft Design makes a panel that sits to the left of the radio. Rotbox came with one, and it looks decent, but you need to chop the dash a bit.

I used to use 2” ABS, when I used to make custom A-pillar pods.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Use auber gauges, they are superior for every reason

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Yeah, I priced them a while back. They cater to the diesel crowd.

42 Draft Design makes a panel that sits to the left of the radio. Rotbox came with one, and it looks decent, but you need to chop the dash a bit.

I used to use 2” ABS, when I used to make custom A-pillar pods.

-Todd
I thought about using that but it's obscured by the steering wheel. I looked at the one that sits on top of the steering column but it blocks too much of the dash for my taste.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Gauges are a waste of money if all they do is give you a visual. on the track of a serious drive tough a mt pass, you will NEVER look at them, and if you can and do, your not driving hard enough to need them.
Auber gauges have a relay in them, set them to have an alarm at a specific value like temp or pressure at any range, and you can wire in an audible alarm or have them trigger a water injection ECT......
Also for the space this gauge takes up i can fit 3 Auber gauges in the same spot.

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Gauges are a waste of money if all they do is give you a visual. on the track of a serious drive tough a mt pass, you will NEVER look at them, and if you can and do, your not driving hard enough to need them.
Auber gauges have a relay in them, set them to have an alarm at a specific value like temp or pressure at any range, and you can wire in an audible alarm or have them trigger a water injection ECT......
Also for the space this gauge takes up i can fit 3 Auber gauges in the same spot.
Show us your setup

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Show us your setup

My build herehttp://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387812
Man i did some Janky things.
My autocross Here. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480843

I stopped posting most of my mods and how to do them.
By My OIL PSI is set to alarm if it drops below 10PSI, I used the "LA cucaracha" door chime for the alarm lol
The EGT (red) triggers a 2 stage water injection system, one pre and one post turbo, I was able to get my EGT's lower by 50% but I would eat up 1 gallon of distilled water in about 1 mile of WOT or a full day at the track would eat 2.
It’s all automated and alarms sound if something bad is ABOUT to happen, and if it gets really bad, like EGTs higher than 1550F, it will defuel the IP via a wire hack from the break sensor. Next time try and hold the break and the gas at the same time, it defuels via the IP. Yea it’s really sweet what these gauges can let you do automatically.
I was going to use the boost to help trigger NOS injection but my Jetta didn’t live long enough lol, my GT2052 died last year and I’m doing a swap now.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I remember when Auber gauges came out. Personally, I hate the look of digital gauges... they remind me of the mid 80s, and they’re hard to read, at a glance. Their small footprint is definitely nice, though.

The trigger functions don’t serve much purpose to me, since I don’t drive my cars hard. I don’t bypass the factory sensors, when I install gauges. The stock idiot lights work fine and would grab my attention.

I don’t see too much of the old IDA stuff anymore. I’m running an x100 in the truck. Solid head units, for the time.

-Todd

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
You’re right mongler, a lot of gauges in a small space. But I agree with Todd, really don’t care for the look plus hard to read. Also, I don’t autocross or race around winding mountain roads, so flashing lights and warning sounds aren’t really needed in my case.

BTW these gauges have a warning light feature, if I decide I need that in the future.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They are not difficult to see at all. Better than those rice pods everyone has.
Also your cel is way to late to avoid damage. Your car has no egt and the oil pressure is either on or off, coolant temps are a joke.
Point is, gauges are a joke and waste of money unless the actually help, your does nothing but eat wallet meat. At least you could kid yourself with a decent gauge that will have a reason.,

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
That seems to boost fairly low on the highway. Mine is usually around 6-7 psi at 2100 RPM.

I wanted mine to be somewhere high enough that i could see it without taking my eyes away from the road. I bought some spare vents from the wreckers to modify, in case i wanted to revert back to stock at some point.

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
They are not difficult to see at all. Better than those rice pods everyone has.
Also your cel is way to late to avoid damage. Your car has no egt and the oil pressure is either on or off, coolant temps are a joke.
Point is, gauges are a joke and waste of money unless the actually help, your does nothing but eat wallet meat. At least you could kid yourself with a decent gauge that will have a reason.,
Calm down bro. To each his own. You like yours, I like mine. I didn’t start this thread to get into a chest beating contest. I was just looking for feedback on my boost numbers.

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
That seems to boost fairly low on the highway. Mine is usually around 6-7 psi at 2100 RPM.

I wanted mine to be somewhere high enough that i could see it without taking my eyes away from the road. I bought some spare vents from the wreckers to modify, in case i wanted to revert back to stock at some point.
Rob-I do like it a little higher too, just wanted to get the gauge in.

My boost on the freeway was actually fluctuating between 5-7. Just caught the pic at 5

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Rob-I do like it a little higher too, just wanted to get the gauge in.
My boost on the freeway was actually fluctuating between 5-7. Just caught the pic at 5
What are you generally getting for mileage with that turbo/nozzles/tune? I have a pretty similar setup, without the turbo, and just awaiting the arrival of my tune.