Error Code P0252 on 2003 Jetta Wagon

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
I was driving my wagon to work today and noticed it felt like I just didn't have much power when accelerating. I pulled over and checked to see if there might have been something noticeable going on, but there wasn't anything I could see. A mile or so down the freeway, I noticed I could not go over 70ish MPH. It didn't matter how much I pushed on the accelerator, it just wouldn't bump up over 72ish MPH.

I pulled over again into a small parking lot and that's when the code threw. I checked it against my OBDII and it popped up with "P0252: Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control A Range/Performance (Cam/Rotor/Injector)".

I noticed I had a decrease in MPG but figured it might have been initially from driving around 2800RPMs for the past few days most of the way to work, and also this morning when I went to start it, I turned the key and it didn't fire off initially, almost as if I had not turned the key long enough for the starter to engage.

Any ideas what I will need to do? I had it towed to my house so its sitting at home. I can drive it, but I would rather figure out the problem before I drive it to a shop if I can't do the fix myself.

Some of the research I have done so far shows it might be the "Fuel Pressure Sensor"?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! :D

EDIT: After speaking at length with a VW guy at the local NAPA, it appears there is not a sensor and that it could be a number of little things, to include the fuel filter (which I replaced a few months ago), some tubing off the intake manifold, plungers (?) INSIDE the fuel injector pump, tubing in the passenger wheel well, intercooler tubing, or perhaps O-rings allowing air bubbles into the tubes running from the fuel filter to the injector pump.

Last edited:

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
Anyone have an idea please? I did not notice anything obvious when looking under the hood. My fuel lines from the filter to pump are solid black rubber so I can't check for bubbles.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
A quick Google search shows it's often an IP failure, but I'd start making sure you're getting enough fuel (last time filter was changed?) and check injection timing for starters.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
A quick Google search shows it's often an IP failure, but I'd start making sure you're getting enough fuel (last time filter was changed?) and check injection timing for starters.
Filter was changed in July or August. I'm assuming IP failure means injector pump? :(:(

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Find a VCDS and re-scan.
I don't trust the generic scanners for in-depth diagnosis.
It could be something as simple as a gunked-up fuel tank sending unit which is integral with the fuel pick-up.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
I drove it to the parts store and one of the guys who knows TDIs well came and looked at it. Couldn't find anything apparently wrong, so I bought am LiquiMoly diesel cleaner. When I drove away, no light came on, so I hopped onto the freeway and cruised up to 80mph. Stopped and went into a store, and came back out. Light came on (this is after letting it sit for 5 minutes or so. However, this time, I was able to go 75-80 as well WITH the light on. I'm going to run the cleaner and see what happens.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
I just ran about all of it through directly into the IP. Still the same code on the dash. I'm thinking I'll take it to the dealer or a shop right across the street. I don't have the luxury of tinkering with it right now, as I'm in the process of moving houses.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
careful with the dealer...
I'm usually skeptical of the dealer, but I am kind of in between a hard spot and a rock. Not a lot of time available. I dropped it off at a European car shop called SK Motorsports. I've taken stuff to them before, and they're usually thorough.

I'm hoping its cheap :D

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
According to the shop, the timing is retarded and they said they will reprogram the IP. 1hr diagnostic+2hrs labor= $438

Does this seem out of line pricewise? I feel like I might be taken for a ride...

N519AT

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
According to the shop, the timing is retarded and they said they will reprogram the IP. 1hr diagnostic+2hrs labor= $438

Does this seem out of line pricewise? I feel like I might be taken for a ride...
You did not even get kissed. Follow this link: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/ You can get VCDS for $199 and you do the diagnostics and set the timing. Knowledge is power.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
Turns out I need a new pump (as stated above). It is supposedly failing.

Any reviews/opinions on these rebuilt pumps here? Seems like a good deal and they're tested prior to shipping...

http://www.hansautoparts.com/RebuiltALHMTDIPump.aspx

Otherwise, the shop wanted $1600 for a new one through them or a rebuilt one offline through another parts store I found was $1299... :(

Alternately, the shop that did my timing belt said they have one on a running car they'd pull and install, plus do my timing belt at the same time for $1100+tax. Seems that's the route that is looking the best right now unless the Hans pump is legit and works well.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
DFIS is in Portland and should be able to make your IP as good as new for about $750.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Turns out I need a new pump (as stated above). It is supposedly failing......................................
Interweb evaluation- I doubt it.
Hoping you didn't go back to the folks that charged $498 and didn't fix it.
Me thinks you need to go back to square 1. Verify the correct code. Find a verified TDI mechanic. These cars are simple but different.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
DFIS is in Portland and should be able to make your IP as good as new for about $750.
Take the pump to Portland and have them test it first. Find a local guru and have them look at it.

Me thinks you need to go back to square 1. Verify the correct code. Find a verified TDI mechanic. These cars are simple but different.
^^^you must take it in order to evaluate the situation.^^^

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
They charged me ONLY $300 for the diagnosis and pulling apart the intake (for some reason they found this to be a reasonable thing).

So, today when driving it (and last night too) I did not get any error/engine light on the dash. I bumped up to 80MPH without issue. This is leaving me rather confused now, as it seems to be working as normal.

I can't say I'm too pleased with the service at that mechanic. I've been there three times and each time I feel like they're trying to sell me a load of crap. The place that did my timing belt said they'd throw the used one from a running (engine is good, transmission is shot) on and do the timing belt at the same time for $1100, which seems tempting as a timing belt is slightly less...

Are the HANS pumps not worth anything in this instance? I saw the description of them and the guy said he reverse engineered the pump. Too good to be true?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
They charged me ONLY $300 for the diagnosis and pulling apart the intake (for some reason they found this to be a reasonable thing).

So, today when driving it (and last night too) I did not get any error/engine light on the dash. I bumped up to 80MPH without issue. This is leaving me rather confused now, as it seems to be working as normal.

Are the HANS pumps not worth anything in this instance? I saw the description of them and the guy said he reverse engineered the pump. Too good to be true?
What did they take apart? if you had a boost leak and they took the boost hoses off and reconnected them it could have done the trick.

Hans is noted as questionable, I PM'd you with other choices; check them out.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
What did they take apart? if you had a boost leak and they took the boost hoses off and reconnected them it could have done the trick.

Hans is noted as questionable, I PM'd you with other choices; check them out.
I did not receive your PM. They took apart (from what I saw) the "tube" that the anti-shudder valve is mounted on and a few other things off the intake. I really did not get a good look outside of that. The guy who was working the front showed me the anti-shudder valve pipe with some build-up in it, but it wasn't too bad.

A co-worker has offered to sell me his pump off his wrecked TDI (hit a cow!), but I am not sure if it is manual or automatic yet.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I did not receive your PM. They took apart (from what I saw) the "tube" that the anti-shudder valve is mounted on and a few other things off the intake. I really did not get a good look outside of that. The guy who was working the front showed me the anti-shudder valve pipe with some build-up in it, but it wasn't too bad.

A co-worker has offered to sell me his pump off his wrecked TDI (hit a cow!), but I am not sure if it is manual or automatic yet.
Look at the classifieds and see the options there

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not convinced you need a pump, interweb and all. If you know it's bad, try the pump from your co-worker, either 10mm or 11mm (auto) will work. If the car is now happy, drive on.
Don't know this Hans, if it's HansAutoParts.com, Prothe, Rothenbacher, run!

Last edited:

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
So a little update. The light went away shortly after the shop reassembled everything. I thought it was all good! No light for quite a while. Then it came on almost simultaneous to the fuel light coming on last night. So, now I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm leaning toward taking it to a local VW guy who did my timing belt (shop seems to be reputable or at least better than the other...?) as he offered a used pump plus timing belt change for $1100+tax. I think I'm getting tired of older diesels...and want a car that just runs, even if it lacks spirit or character.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So a little update. The light went away shortly after the shop reassembled everything. I thought it was all good! No light for quite a while. Then it came on almost simultaneous to the fuel light coming on last night. So, now I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm leaning toward taking it to a local VW guy who did my timing belt (shop seems to be reputable or at least better than the other...?) as he offered a used pump plus timing belt change for $1100+tax. I think I'm getting tired of older diesels...and want a car that just runs, even if it lacks spirit or character.

If your still having trouble with your TDI look up Dr Dan Biodiesel

https://drdansbiodiesel.com/

He has a lot of knowledge of TDI's & post a lot of fixes on YouTube

I don't know him but he might be close to you ?

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
The MKIV TDI is not for everyone. Unless you're willing to do at least all the scheduled maintenance yourself OR have access to a trusted TDI mechainc (hint: if your mechanic didn't use VAGCOM or VCDS, he isn't one), then you may be better off selling it to someone who has the time to care for it better. There's plenty of us out there. IMHO even having a "good" euro-car shop work on them is a total crap shoot, most likely ending in crap. Even here on tdiclub, they are regarded as "hobbyist" cars nowadays.