New tdi owner looking for advice

Moparjr89

TDI
2006 jetta tdi 5 speed
just picked up a 2006 tdi 5 speed and looking to make some power upgrades after all the maintenance is done. I am not looking for lots of power just looking to make if funner to drive. it has 250k had timing belt and waterpump done at 246k and has had the egr deleted but not tuned, and im getting 48mpg hand calculated highway with mountains at 65mph. if I can increase my mileage a bit that would be great or atleast stay around where im at with some power upgrades that would be nice any advice or help would be appreciated.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
For a BRM, a Malone stage 1.5 or stage 2 tune is quite fun for the buck. Going to a larger turbo and injectors didn't help a lot since I commute mostly in the city, but it made a world of a difference on the highway pulls. Fuel economy on the highway when driving over the mountains from Charlotte to Nashville is consistently 51-54 mpg. City driving is 32-38 mpg.

Moparjr89

TDI
2006 jetta tdi 5 speed
We don't know if he's rolling a BEW or BRM. Since he has not specified it's a wagon it's likely a BRM.
it is not a wagon, that was on my list of things to do, valve cover is leaking so two birds one stone. its not making the any weird noises or acting weird so its atleast ok for now

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Engine code?

it is not a wagon, that was on my list of things to do, valve cover is leaking so two birds one stone. its not making the any weird noises or acting weird so its atleast ok for now
Generally when posting a question you would give all pertinent information as to the make, model, any modifications, etc. Otherwise, there's no possible way for anyone to give you any information that is applicable.

First major recommendation from me is to invest in VCDS so you can actually work on your vehicle and know if there are any issues, or fault codes present. http://www.ross-tech.com/

Is that an early, or late, model? Does it have BEW, or BRM engine code. I tend to assume BEW, however, you need to use the tdi search engine and research other possible issues.

Moparjr89

TDI
2006 jetta tdi 5 speed
Generally when posting a question you would give all pertinent information as to the make, model, any modifications, etc. Otherwise, there's no possible way for anyone to give you any information that is applicable.

First major recommendation from me is to invest in VCDS so you can actually work on your vehicle and know if there are any issues, or fault codes present. http://www.ross-tech.com/

Is that an early, or late, model? Does it have BEW, or BRM engine code. I tend to assume BEW, however, you need to use the tdi search engine and research other possible issues.
Im new and still learning, i thought all 2006s were brm, how do i check that? And i listed everything i know about the car pretty much stock besides egr delete

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Im new and still learning, i thought all 2006s were brm, how do i check that? And i listed everything i know about the car pretty much stock besides egr delete

Look at the manufacturing dates on the car
1995.5-2005 are the MkIV body, 2005.5-2010 are MkV body style.

2004-2005 had a BEW
2005.5-2006.5 had a BRM

They are both 1.9L Pumpe Duse engines, the BRM being slightly more powerful because its in a bigger car.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Moparjr89

TDI
2006 jetta tdi 5 speed
My manners are fine, you just do not know what you are talking about i said i had a 2006 jetta tdi with the 5 speed, the 2006 jetta did not come with a bew yet you asked wether i have the bew or brm and second the brm is the only engine put in 2006 jettas in the us as they did not make a 2007 model year tdi jetta, so i do not want help from you since you clearly have no idea what you are taking about
What engine do you have? Look it up, notice the change midyear 2006.5.
Mind your manners or get no help.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Almost certain he has a BRM, but you never know if you've just picked up the car; the previous owner could have swapped pieces out of ignorance.
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2005-2006-VW-Jetta-TDI-buying-guide.htm

Make sure the engine is at tip-top shape and updated maintenance. Some trouble areas include - in addition to the aforementioned camshaft/lifter wear - the EGR cooler and general crudding of deposits from said EGR.

Since you seem only to seek a mild performance upgrade to start - a wise choice - an ECU remap will suffice. Performance enhancement of any kind is like a drug. Enjoy the ride and go progressively for a higher high. :D

Moparjr89

TDI
2006 jetta tdi 5 speed
Almost certain he has a BRM, but you never know if you've just picked up the car; the previous owner could have swapped pieces out of ignorance.
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2005-2006-VW-Jetta-TDI-buying-guide.htm

Make sure the engine is at tip-top shape and updated maintenance. Some trouble areas include - in addition to the aforementioned camshaft/lifter wear - the EGR cooler and general crudding of deposits from said EGR.

Since you seem only to seek a mild performance upgrade to start - a wise choice - an ECU remap will suffice. Performance enhancement of any kind is like a drug. Enjoy the ride and go progressively for a higher high. :D
Its already had the egr deleted but was not tuned to remove the code, and at 250k i dont want to go nuts with it, shes my daily/beater so i fine with a mild upgrade, i was looking at the malone stage 1.5 or 2 tune after i replace the cam for peace of mind

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Knowing the model and body type (Jetta wagon only was a MKIV with a BEW even into 2005 but the Jetta sedan got the newer BRM engine). The BRM is almost the same engine as the BEW with the exception of the EGR system which is much more involved and the cam has a steeper profile causing it to wear faster but it gives it a bit more torque. There has been successful cam implants that put a BEW proformance cam into a BRM and it was just fine. And others that went with an OEM BEW cam in a BRM and lost just a bit of torque but hardly enough to bother worrying about.

Pulling the valve cover is a GREAT idea when buying a BEW and BRM. If the cam is going bad just tell the person you have to knock about $2000 off as you will have parts and labor for the cam parts and oil pump (trashed from the cam metals). And in the end depending on when you do the cam job you can get a performance cam in there as well getting you both MPG and HP and in theory less future wear.
Figure out what you got into before upgrades. Seems like either way you're looking at cams and bew or brm doesn't matter to me, not my fault you ended up with it.

Moparjr89

TDI
2006 jetta tdi 5 speed
Figure out what you got into before upgrades. Seems like either way you're looking at cams and bew or brm doesn't matter to me, not my fault you ended up with it.

Im not complaining even with doing a cam ive got a long history of maintence on the car and for what i paid i will have my money back with a cam job in a year with the amount i will save at the pump, im going from 10mpg average to 40plus so well worth it

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Im not complaining even with doing a cam ive got a long history of maintence on the car and for what i paid i will have my money back with a cam job in a year with the amount i will save at the pump, im going from 10mpg average to 40plus so well worth it

Didn't say you were complaining, just find that option tag and research it in the link I posted above and look at what really needs to be solidified and understand your vehicle before trying to upgrade anything.
It may end up that your cams are the first upgrade because they're worn and not giving stock power, or could be they've been upgraded already...
If it can't make stock power, there's no reason to start modifying it.
You have a lot of research to do and that's going to be the advice given by any veteran member in this forum.
You bought a TDI and now you're going to get to learn a lot from the forum.
Welcome to the world of VW TDI and all the mystical stuff to learn about them.
Read the quote in my last post and research what you have engine wise and in the documents you have received to see what's actually been done.
Hopefully it is from one of the GURU'S and you can call them to get an idea of what you are looking at doing next maintenance wise.