www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 18th, 2018, 10:26   #1
Cheap guy

Default Help Me Help Me, Please

Hello, How is everyone? This group was boasted about to me by a friend, so I'm new here. You can call me poorbadluckbuck.

So after a bad back injury I find myself on odsp not by choice. Which means I have no money. I only need a vehicle so I can get my daughter who's an hour away for our visits. I've gone through a truck, my Audi, and a VW over the last eight years s of driving both ways.

I know .. wa wa. Such is life. My point being is I managed to get a car after my 2000 VW finally dies at 600 000km. 850 km per tank of fuel.

My new car. 2003 VW wagon TDI.
Got a deal... Ya ya, turns out it needed a new engine. Ha ha, jokes on me. ... So I did an engine swap.... Yes I owe people money. ....

When I swapped the 1.9 TDI out I took the EGR delete pipe and over sized air filter off my old 1.9 and put on my new one. While doing all this work. It seemed a good idea to delete the EGR cooler as well. Don't need it, take it off. Right?..... Then I deleted the codes with a scanner.

Here's my problem. I can't keep it out of limp mode. The fuel economy is killing me. 700 instead of 950 plus...
I've since changed the fuel filter, as a code said infificient fuel.... That code is gone.....

It seems to fall into limp mode as soon as the car starts to heat up....

New car, new moter, I don't know what sensors to check or where to start.... I thought maybe I screwed up the vacuum lines, but they checked ok..

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank You
Cheap guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 13:21   #2
InfoSec
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-55mpg

Load a Malone Stage 1 tune with egr delete.
The Master of InfoSec - Current '03 Jetta GLS TDI: 02M, Wavetrac LSD, Whitbread downpipe and custom IC piping, Race 520's, VNT1756vk, upgraded SMIC, EGR Delete (obviously), Buzzken 2.5" cat-back w/ turndown, Malone Stage 5 custom, PDlift pump, ARP Head Studs, Phase II: head work, bigger turbo, hotter cam, better pistons/rods, new tires...at least the front ones.
InfoSec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 15:32   #3
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Even with the EGR delete, you should get the same fuel econ.

My guess is that you have a boost issue causing the limp mode and poor fuel econ.

Do you have VCDS or just a generic OBDII scanner?

Do you have any codes set for boost deviation?

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 23:40   #4
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

What Windex said, you have other issues and its not the EGR causing limp mode. EGR can affect mpg as it needs to see it but that won't cause a drastic drop.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote