Bad way to get offer sheet!

boulderbrewer

TDI
2013 Sportwagen tdi
I uploaded my documents on 11/22. While the JSW was getting the rear hatch replaced from backing into a dumpster. This wednesday on the way to work I hit a deer, that took out the front bumper, quarter pannel, headlight and front door. Today I get my offer sheet! I think this car is cursed. I wonder now if I should go ahead and get the body fixed so it looks nice at turn in.

r_jojola

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDi
I uploaded my documents on 11/22. While the JSW was getting the rear hatch replaced from backing into a dumpster. This wednesday on the way to work I hit a deer, that took out the front bumper, quarter pannel, headlight and front door. Today I get my offer sheet! I think this car is cursed. I wonder now if I should go ahead and get the body fixed so it looks nice at turn in.
Man sorry to hear this...but this is exactly the type of thing I've been talking about. The longer VW drags their feet to send out offer letters the more of a chance we as customers have to totaling our cars. I'm glad you didn't total it, but I suggest calling the claim line (good luck) and explaining what happened. If its under its own power you should be able to drive it on the lot and be done with it. Honestly I wouldn't fix a thing...as long as it drives under its own power....that's all the documents state.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I would NOT get it fixed... RUNNING UNDER ITS OWN POWER PERIOD end of story, but I am an advocate of parking it until you turn it in to keep these things from happening. Mine sat garaged for 3 weeks before turn in day.

Mike.

TDI
2011 Golf - Returned to VW
Absolutely agree, I would not get it fixed. I do not support people in the forum who think of stripping their cars prior to turn in but this is different, it is an accident. as long as it drives in on turn in date.

How is the deer? :)

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
There probably was no need to fix the rear hatch, either.

The max insurance will pay is usually actual cash value, which is somewhat loosely approximated by checking what it would cost to buy your car, with the mileage and trim that it has, from a dealer, used. At least for mine, a 2014 JSW, that value has bounced back by quite a lot since June-- and has receovered nearly all of the value lost since October 2015. At this point, it has recovered to the point where the retail value plus the restitution (which you get if your TDI is totaled) is within shouting distance of the buyback value. That suggests to me that the risk of "catastrophic loss"-- at least due to collision--is diminishing over time.

Which leaves mechanical failure, like losing the HPFP or something. Which raises a question that I might put in another thread.

Mike.

TDI
2011 Golf - Returned to VW
What I was thinking. I know in some states you take out a deer by accident you can harvest the meat.

boulderbrewer

TDI
2013 Sportwagen tdi
Yes in the state of Wii, all you have to do is call an 800 number, which is a lot faster than waiting for a sheriff deputy to show up and give you a tag.

Eggieztdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Man. 2015 TDIs
Whoa whoa whoa!! No you should not fix it. You will be fine to turn in as is, and as everyone already said. I'm surprised you fixed the hatch. Would have been fine to keep it busted, unless of course you still drive it (obviously you do) and water leaks in. Best of luck ;)