Dieselgate - Post Oct 18 Court Hearing

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
If this settlement gets the OK without any delays to address these very legitimate concerns of the class members, then the entire legal and justice system in the USA is a sham (just like our government).
Because, of course, none of those concerns have been presented or considered in any form so far.

With that said, I agree with both of the points--retail (or, at least, private party) would have been a better measure of value than trade-in, and the mileage adjustment is somewhat punitive to many (I'd think most) TDI drivers. I'm also quite sure that they were considered as the agreements were being crafted, and there was almost certainly quite a bit of bargaining back and forth on these and many other issues.

On the other hand, a delay, which you believe would be essential, would materially harm the interests of many of the class members. Just on this site, how many people have you seen complaining about how long the process is taking? And how VW's dragging their feet on something that's almost entirely out of their control?

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
Forget the count I was at after all the banter - bad audio. Objectors back on. Full compensation. Polluting horribly since 2010. Something about warranties.

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
Seems to be a pause until 12:45 ET (9:45 PT). Something about the written objections (maybe to summarize).

Storz

TDI
2012 Jetta
Because, of course, none of those concerns have been presented or considered in any form so far.

With that said, I agree with both of the points--retail (or, at least, private party) would have been a better measure of value than trade-in, and the mileage adjustment is somewhat punitive to many (I'd think most) TDI drivers. I'm also quite sure that they were considered as the agreements were being crafted, and there was almost certainly quite a bit of bargaining back and forth on these and many other issues.

On the other hand, a delay, which you believe would be essential, would materially harm the interests of many of the class members. Just on this site, how many people have you seen complaining about how long the process is taking? And how VW's dragging their feet on something that's almost entirely out of their control?
Exactly, the longer it takes the less money I get to buy something else.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I used to attend public comment hearings in public utility rate cases. About one public speaker in 500 would raise something which had not been considered by the parties in the course of litigation prior to the hearing. I don't think anything raised today was previously not considered by the litigating parties in arriving at the settlement.

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Just on this site, how many people have you seen complaining about how long the process is taking? And how VW's dragging their feet on something that's almost entirely out of their control?
Agreed... and how many risk another HPFP grenading while waiting on buy back? VW isn't going out of their way at ALL to help folks in that situation now. Buybacks need to happen sooner than later. Mine is parked for sure.

Storz

TDI
2012 Jetta
And how many risk another HPFP grenading while waiting on buy back. VW isn't going out of their way at ALL to help folks in that situation now.
Another very valid point, the longer this takes the longer the chance exists for a catastrophic failure of some sort that makes you ineligible for a buy back.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
I am not the one being greedy. If you don't like the settlement than you can sue on your own or keep your car.

You legitimately made a blanket statement saying nothing anyone will say today holds any merit or should be considered, and it is all out of greed.

Perhaps I'm thinking of everyone in the lawsuit, not just myself here....but that may be too hard for you when all you hear is me me me.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Stop. Let's keep this on topic and share information about what is being said about the hearing. Enough of the crap-slinging back and forth about who is entitled/greedy, who is generalizing, etc. :rolleyes:

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Stop. Let's keep this on topic and share information about what is being said about the hearing. Enough of the crap-slinging back and forth about who is entitled/greedy, who is generalizing, etc. :rolleyes:
Agreed. Looks like court will be back in session in a few minutes.

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
atomicfront said:
I am not the one being greedy. If you don't like the settlement than you can sue on your own or keep your car. [/QOUTE]

You legitimately made a blanket statement saying nothing anyone will say today holds any merit or should be considered, and it is all out of greed.

Perhaps I'm thinking of everyone in the lawsuit, not just myself here....but that may be too hard for you when all you hear is me me me.
WOW, quite and excited statement there that even includes an unrelated statement of ones voting expectation. Obviously you are filled with some sort of irrational rage.

atomicfrontas merely making an observation that you have options should you not like the settlement. He was merely observing - as did I - that the verbal complaints of the famous 30 today in court was nothing more than nonsense that was considered during the settlement development by the attorneys on BOTH sides.

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
Objectors back on - An atty. is on that owns a 2012 TDi. The settlement value does not reflect the true value of TDis before the scandal.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Another very valid point, the longer this takes the longer the chance exists for a catastrophic failure of some sort that makes you ineligible for a buy back.
This is shooting posts from the hip, for sure! There is no such thing as "-a catastrophic failure of some sort that makes you ineligible for a buy back." There is a world of difference in the reality: there are malfunctions that could prevent the car from being driven, and would have to be repaired so as to make it operable before it could be turned in.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Too bad this isn't in prime time. It might outdraw the Cubs-Dodgers tonight.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi

I do think the retail trade-in would be better. But I am not thinking of just myself. I am thinking of the vast majority of VW owners. This is the most generous lawsuit settlement I have seen. Usually it is mostly for the attorneys and the actual people effected get next to nothing of value. This one gives a lot of people more than they paid for their cars.

People who drove their vehicles into the ground probably wouldn't have gotten anything in trade if it were not for the lawsuit. They will be coming out a head of where they would be if there was no diesel scandal. There is always the option to keep your vehicle and that way you wouldn't be effected at all by the situation.

I was fortunate that I had around 5000 dollars of VW stock that I sold at 50.25 dollars a share on May 18th of 2015. I think I made around 14 percent on that. Sold because I got sick of paying German taxes on my dividends. VW has been very good to me.

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
Objectors may to be done. Plaintiff counsel on. Explaining how they came up with the numbers.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
nextelmatt ,

You are going to have Veteran Member status in no time (Well deserved)

Maybe the moderators can give you a special title like COURT REPORTER or something for your service to the forum

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
This is shooting posts from the hip, for sure! There is no such thing as "-a catastrophic failure of some sort that makes you ineligible for a buy back." There is a world of difference in the reality: there are malfunctions that could prevent the car from being driven, and would have to be repaired so as to make it operable before it could be turned in.
You do know how much a turbo replacement, transmission repair, or HPFP repair is, don't you? Do you know anyone that would want to pay $6k in order to drive their car in for the buyback? Talk about getting bent over. Buyback sooner than later benefits all involved. Consumers get away from the cars that will have little support from VW. VW gets to move on ASAP. The tree huggers get the "dirty diesels" off the road. The gov't gets to pay themselves on the back for "winning". :rolleyes:

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
Countering the objections including Wheels Inc. that own thousands of TDis.

tdiDreaming

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
The idea is to give you value of your car if you sold it. Plus cash compensation in addition to that. So you get 6500 dollars plus what your car is worth on Sept 2015. If you drive 40k miles a year your car isn't going to be worth anything anyway.

But really if you are driving 40k miles a year in commute you should move. Why do that to yourself.
I somewhat get "it" on the mileage thing; depreciation, yadda yadda, yadda. However, there is a BIG gap between 12,500 and 40k miles a year and a lot of us fall in the middle.

Before buying my TDI I did LOTS of research (including signing up for this site) and trying to make a wise decision based on my 80mile a day commute to work. At the time, the Passat was the Motor Trend car of the year and receiving quite a bit of praise - specifically for the diesel version. For it's part, VW sure didn't mind playing up the award and advertising their "balance between long range and driving fun."

I say all of that to suggest that -if VW really does have to use the mileage factor at all - they really should have had to put more effort into finding a true average of miles driven by TDI owners and use that for the benchmark rather than use some nationally calculated average. Their marketing catered to people wanting to drive their cars more miles, but now those same people are going to get less in the settlement regardless of how well they kept up with their maintenance, repairs, condition, etc.

Storz

TDI
2012 Jetta
You do know how much a turbo replacement, transmission repair, or HPFP repair is, don't you? Do you know anyone that would want to pay $6k in order to drive their car in for the buyback? Talk about getting bent over. Buyback sooner than later benefits all involved. Consumers get away from the cars that will have little support from VW. VW gets to move on ASAP. The tree huggers get the "dirty diesels" off the road. The gov't gets to pay themselves on the back for "winning". :rolleyes:
Exactly correct. I don't want to have to put a penny into this car in order to be eligible for the buy back. Right now that is the case, the longer I have to wait and continue to commute with it the more chance there is for something fail.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
If this settlement gets the OK without any delays to address these very legitimate concerns of the class members, then the entire legal and justice system in the USA is a sham (just like our government).
i wouldn't be surprised if the settlement gets the OK without any delays...months ago the judge said how incredible this deal was for consumers - pretty sure he has his mind made up already

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Unless you consider 'theft' a catastrophic failure. If you don't have a carcass to turn in, your're SOL, right?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi

Can the car drive without the turbo working?

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
Trade in value discussion - It really turns out to be a retail value after the additional compensation.