Where to find radio code?

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
Hello, I'm stumped on something that I thought would be simple and I can't seem to find an answer here in the forums, nor by general googling.

I recently upgraded my 2010 Wagon with an RNS-510 unit to replace my RCD-510. I'd like to sell the RCD, but I don't know where to find the radio code. Is this something I can only get from the dealer? Am I going to have to pay to retrieve it? Is it not written on any documentation that came with the car?

Thanks very much for any help :)

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
Ugg I finally found a couple threads (by only searching titles) that suggest the sticker with the code is in my radio manual. I just wanted to add that this was the first place I looked and I couldn't see it anywhere in there...

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
My dealer said they could give me the code by calling them with the serial number on the radio. Mine is a 2002 but it might be worth a try if you can't find it in the manual.

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Sometimes it's on a card, like the size of a business card. Try the front page of the manual folder as I believe there should be slots for dealership cards.

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
Sometimes it's on a card, like the size of a business card. Try the front page of the manual folder as I believe there should be slots for dealership cards.
Thanks Joester, Tim.

I actually did check for cards and there are just two business cards, for the sales and service guys.

One thing I didn't check was the dealer delivery checklist and I know my wife has that set aside at home, so I'll have a look at that. Not holding my breath though. I'll likely have to call with the VIN and SN I suspect.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Trepex,

Yeah, the only way to get the code is to call your dealership with your VIN and the radio serial number. Sometime in late 2008 - early 2009 Vw stopped putting the radio code in the vehicle when building it. Earlier than that, it would have been stuck in the spare tire well with the data label and the tech would take the radio code and data label and move it to the owners manual.

I guess they came to the conclusion that it was not needed, so they stopped putting it in the vehicles. So now the only way to get it is to call (or go into) a dealership.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Pull the radio and on the back of the radio is a serial number for the deck.
You will need the vin# as well.
Call the dealership with the vin and the radio serial number. The dealership should have the code on file when they pdi'd the car. Do not pay money if they want to charge you call another dealership.
Write the code on the inside of your glove box or on the deck. There is not a lot of people who are stealing the vw radio's.
If you don't have the proper radio tools you can use a steak knife or go to a radio shop and ask a favor.

Last edited:

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
If you don't have the proper radio tools you can use a steak knife or go to a radio shop and ask a favor.
If the 2010 decks are similar to the 2009 ones you won't need radio keys, just the correct torx bit (or is it triple square, I forget?).

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Its a triple square aka torques bit. Start from the top of the dash and work your way down.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Nah, Torx is different from Triple square.

Torx is a 6 sided bit that looks like the outline of a star of david.

While a triple square is a 12 sided bit (One square has 4 points, so a triple square would have ____)

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
D'oh! Fixmy59bug beat me to posting by two minutes!

Its a triple square aka torques bit. Start from the top of the dash and work your way down.
Nope!

Triple Squares and Torx Bits are two different tools.

Torx bits look like Stars of David with rounded corners, meaning 6 rounded points.

A Triple Square is like three "squares" mushed into one, meaning 12 points, 4 X 3....triple square.

I haven't looked for it, but at one time radio codes could be found under the trunk liner on the sticker with all the vehicle codes.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Aint that something!
Just learned something new.
I just always use the torques bit.

I cant believe you have a chart for it. Was it ready on hand or did you have to search for it?

Last edited:

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
D'oh! Fixmy59bug beat me to posting by two minutes!

I haven't looked for it, but at one time radio codes could be found under the trunk liner on the sticker with all the vehicle codes.
I think that is the paint code isnt it?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Gli, Actually I was going to post two different pics. One of a torx head bolt, and one of a triple square head bolt, but when I was searching for triple square on google images, I found that chart. So I posted it instead of two separate pics. Worked out perfect.

Mayor. It's kinda funny that we essentially posted the same exact thing (star of david and 3 squares) at [nearly] the same time.

Just gotta be a little quicker on the draw there pardner....

=^)