Stereo upgrade advice needed

klobbermeister

TDI
Jetta, '02, Black
Hey again,

So, the factory-usb/mp3 interface seems not to be something to hold my breath for, so I need some advice from those who have an opinion:

I was digging around and found something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-efMp4FIwK7H/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=113DPX501&search=usb

It's a double-din (as is my factory head unit), and has a USB-in, as well as a host of other cool features. There are other single-din head units that accept usb-in as well.

But, with Phatnoise being so cheap now, is *that* the way to go?

Or is the answer a cheaper (single-din) Kenwood head-unit to interface with a Phatbox?

Ultimately, I am not an audiophile, but I have a huge mp3 library that I'd like to utilize in my VW. The ability to see ID3 tags would be nice (as in the Kenwood or the Kenwood/Phatnoise combo), but not necessary.

Opinions of a Kenwood (or JVC) head unit vs. Phatnoise vs. Kenwood Head *and* Phatnoise combo?

Thanks in advance (and I won't quadruple post this message like I did yesterday... :)

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Being an ex-audiophile........I would opt for the single din for a couple of reasons. 1. Crutchfield service rules. They will send you all wiring adapters, installation kits (that will give you another cubby hole to store "crap") and instructions written in plain english. 2. The double din deck you linked to has a few options that the Kenwood KDC-MP532U doesn't have, but they aren't worth $130.00!!!!

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
alpine also has a usb adaptor for a few of the 06 units. and their new full speed ipod connection is exceptional. best interface i've seen yet.

alpine catalog pdf