03 TDI Jetta Fuel Gauge not working.

ralekato

TDI
2013 Jetta
I have desperately been trying to find out why my 2003 Jetta TDI's fuel gauge doesn't work anymore. It died after I had filled up my tank about 3 months ago. I checked every fuse with a meter and had no dead ones. I have been searching the TDI forums for hours and can't find anything on troubleshooting this issue. Does anyone have a clue where I can start before I have to bring it to a mechanic?

Thanks, Tom :confused:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Try reading the level with VCDS, if that reads ok, then you know you have a gauge issue.
Try reading the resistance at the fuel sending unit under the rear seat. The resistance between the center two pins should be between ~50 to ~250 ohms, and it should vary with fuel contained. If the resistance is good, then you know it is not the fuel sending unit. If it is bad, then it is the fuel sending unit.

If you buy a Bentley manual, you can see the wiring diagrams and troubleshoot further, pinning it down to a faulty wire between two connections perhaps.

ralekato

TDI
2013 Jetta
I was able to temporarily fix it with wire nuts and electrical tape. I will be looking for a connector for sure. The fuel gauge died about 3 months ago and I believe the culprits are long gone. I don't know how they got in there except along the channel from the fuel lines. Even more impressive is how they got acorns in there.

motorhead426

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI - Auto
Whoa! They ate through the connector too?! Those little things will eat anything. At least its easy to get to from the inside. Must be nice knowing what the problem was/is.

gillywilly87

TDI
bora st 150
bora fuel guage sticking

eh oh all. just to add to this topic. just run out of fuel today. after checking the sender and the gauge with a multimeter. had the sender connected and worked the float and gauge was moving fine and the light was comin on. now i put it in the tank it reads 1/4. and hence i ran out of fuel. any ideas would be lovely. cheers

Skullbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen
I'm in the same boat. I filled up the other day, and the gauge only read 1/4 tank. I turned the key off and on a few times and it went up a little more each time till it read full. After that it's hit or miss. Fortunately I use the trip miles so I know about where I am.. But definitely want to fix it. Where'd you all go for the parts? ID parts?

WayneJ

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI and 2003 Golf TDI
Remove the sending unit and clean any point where wires connect to terminals. Films form over years and the film changes the resistance, which changes the gauge readings. This fixed mine and it's been good for over 2 years now.

spanky1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2012, platinum grey(6-spd manual)
I have an intermittent issue with mine. Occasionally while driving, I will notice on empty. I can turn the key off and back on, then the gauge reads correctly.

Very sporadic. Notice it every week or 2.

Lineman6983

TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Hello. I'm new to this forum. I have an 03 jetta that has the same fuel gauge issue. If I replace the sending unit odor even take it out to check it, do I have to reptile my fuel system or just fill it back up before cranking? Thanks.

Lineman6983

TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Hello. I'm new to this forum. I have an 03 jetta that has the same fuel gauge issue. If I replace the sending unit or even take it out to check it, do I have to reprime my fuel system or just fill it back up before cranking? Sorry for all the grammar mistakes in the first post Thanks

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Welcome to the forum. If you only replace the sending unit you should be able to restart without any issues. Meaning, do not disconnect any other fuel lines other than the 2 connections at the sending unit. The filter will remain full and restart should be normal, just be sure to let it run for at least 5 minutes and take for a 10 minute drive that sure clear any air in the lines.