I just keep waiting...and waiting...

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
Hi folks
I'm waiting for a 2001 Golf GL TDI 5 speed. It's been 5 months and still no VIN. Is this a bad sign? There are two things that keep me going: Fred's TDI Forums and my down payment is getting bigger. I've learned enough from these forums to know I still want a Golf TDI.
The dealer recently got a GLS TDI, but it had all the gizmo's on it VW offers. I told them I would wait for the GL.
Maybe I'll here some good news soon. In the meantime, keep up the good work here.

think diesel

Veteran Member
I hope you get some good news soon. Giving someone a downpayment without having a VIN number first is.... erm... questionable--- but we won't go there since you've already done it. Now-- like it or not you are stuck with this dealer unless you are willing to lose your downpayment. Whatever you do-- don't give them any more money until you see a car.

5 months is an awfully long time. Are you looking for something terribly specific? You *do* realize that the dealers do not have the authority to directly order a specific car to be built from the factory--right? Just as long as you know that and you are patient, I think you will eventually get what you want. You are a hell of alot more patient than I am-- I will say that for you.

Is there any possibilty of you being flexible on colors or options?

Either way, I would lean HARD on that dealer and tell them you expect them to be looking for a car for you with all their effort!

------------------
1999 New Jetta GL TDI
Atlantic Blue/Gray studio

Mein auto wurde von den stolzen arbeitern der Fabrik Volkswagen in Puebla, Mexiko aufgebaut. Sie nehmen stolz in der Arbeit, die sie erledigen und arbeiten stark, um ein hohe Qualitätsautogleichgestelltes zu erstellen oder als jedes mögliches Volkswagen zu verbessern, das überall in der welt aufgebaut wird.

Autoguy

Veteran Member
End your wait now. Scott's VW in Rhode Island has a Golf GL TDI 5speed in stock right now! It is Indigo Blue with black cloth. Scott VW Providence R.I. 1-800-568-5550. worth the drive, good luck.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
Think Diesel: My down payment is getting bigger in my bank account.Thanks for the advice,though. I told the dealer any dark color would do. GL is a must. They have shown me a print-out which has my name on a black GL, but it keeps updating as "In assembly", or something to that effect.
Auto Guy: Thanks for the lead. I'll try it tomorrow.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
VW vet, deffinatly check out other dealers. you should also have the dealer do a search for cars within in a good range. they have the capability to check other dealers stock on hand. i would guess that someone in that are would have a car closer to what you want. although i think the Golf's are harder to come by?

good luck, start searching and let us know how it goes for you.

garrett P.

------------------
2000 JEDI TDI Silver
Full Commander, Prime Minister of Power and all that is good
assistant to President Valois in the UPsolute territory

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
5 months?!?! Man, you have more patience than I do. I had to wait 3 1/2 months for the VIN. The day I called to see if there is a VIN, I got thrilled. But I had to wait for a month and half for the car to arrive to the dealership. On the other hand, I did have an excellent downpayment.

I have my NB for two weeks. Tell you something that long wait... Uh? What? 5 months? I don't remember 5 months? ..disappears fairly quick. You get a whole new feeling. Yeah, I don't even remember the last time I sat in my wife's 99 Camry, either!
In two weeks, it already is getting close to 500 miles. Saturday I am making a trip in Wisconsin, adding on another 700-800 miles. That's probably the other thing, you are never home, on the road enjoying your ride.

size15n

I would suggest weekly calls to VW Customer service begging to buy a GL. I did this last summer and ended up with the exact
car I was looking for... a 2000 GL 5-speed. After several calls, someone from VW distribution, who actually had the manifests to all of the VW ports of entry called. She located "my" car and had it sent to my dealer. Good luck. I know
you'll love your GL 5-speed like I love mine.

------------------
2000 Golf GL TDI
5-speed White/Black
WVWBF21J0YW694871

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
size15n, why do you have your VIN in your signature?

The best way to get what you want is to harass and annoy until they lose their minds and beg you to leave them alone.

------------------
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed
1987 Diamond Blue Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.5 Turbo (sold, but considering re-purchase)

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
VW Vet, don't worry too much about having already given your dealer a deposit without having a VIN in return. The same thing happened to me, and I still got my Golf at a fair price. I waited 6 months and 1 day from deposit to delivery. Once you do have a VIN, it can take 1 or even 2 months before you actually see the car. If this wait is just too much to bear, perhaps a call to Phil Teves at Scott VW in Rhode Island is in order. This is an option I was unaware of when I bought my car, but other readers have had good luck getting the particular TDI they want from him. If the particular TDI you want does not exist in the U.S.A., it can still take Phil 4 or 5 months to get the car. He is good, very good, but has no experience in the black arts (magic), as far as I know.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
Hi Folks,
I've been making calls to VW dealers and get the same answers: "We had one, but it sold just the other day." I just got off the line with Scott VW in Providence. The one they had sold over the weekend. But, they had some encouraging words. One of the salesmen said having my name on a car which is "In Production" means I will end up with a Golf GL TDI. It just takes TIME. Guess it's like some other things. Waiting makes it even better.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
FWIW: I was at the VW dealership in Newport RI a couple of weekends ago and they had at least one if not a couple Golf TDIs. I think the TDI was dark blue/tan that I remember.

In general, the dealerships appear to be getting huge amounts of incoming inventory.

------------------
96 TDI Wagon, ABS, emerald green
00 Jetta TDI GLS, silver arrow, CWP, LUX1, etc, etc.

[This message has been edited by dieseldorf (edited December 11, 2000).]

Autoguy

Veteran Member
VW Vet Golfs of any varity seem to be in short supply right now. However the Clyde Billing dealership in Augusta ME does show 1 Golf GL diesel in stock, if its still available who knows. No color listed there phone is 207-622-6336. Good luck.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
Clyde Billing VW said the one they have is spoken for. They might have another one in a week or so.

Autoguy

Veteran Member
VWVett, McDevitt VW in Manchester VW has a Golf GL TDI 5 speed available right now. Call Michelle at 603-668-8628 I got my Jetta TDI from her she was great and a good dealer too. Good Luck.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
Autoguy, I called a dealer in Manchester today and got a negative response. I don't remember the name of the dealer, though. Is there more than one in Manchester? I have a lead on two at a dealer in southern Maine. Suddenly they are all over the place. The dealer in Auburn says he can get a GL any time. I'm going to try to have one by this weekend. I wonder why Darling's VW in Bangor can't get one. Wish me luck.

Autoguy

Veteran Member
I spoke with Michelle tonight about 5:30 PM she said she defintely had 1 available. She said she is working this weekend, give them a call, nothing to lose.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
The wait is OVER!I found a dark green Golf GL TDI in Augusta. I put a hold check on it and will pick it up Tuesday.It was you guys on this forum who gave me the nudge to look and not depend on the dealer. I thank you all for that. I have to go jump up and down now. Any more writing from me will be incoherent(see?I probably spelled it wrong).
Thanks again.

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
VW Vet,,,, Wow Turbo (diesel) bummer! i just decided to get a 2001 TDI Jetta (Bora) a few weeks ago, and ZIPPY, I got my Vin yesterday!!

2001 Jetta TDI
Silver arrow
Black Leather, power everything
Sunroof and the works

Commander-T

TDI
Passat, 1996, Emerald Green
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by think diesel:
I hope you get some good news soon. Giving someone a downpayment without having a VIN number first is.... erm... questionable--- but we won't go there since you've already done it. Now-- like it or not you are stuck with this dealer unless you are willing to lose your downpayment.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
VW Vet,

Not sure about the dealer you are dealing with, but I would expect that you would easily get your deposit back...I agree with GarettP make a call to a couple of other dealers and see if you can have them locate a car for you if you don't trust who you are dealing with.

I grew up on the retail side of the business (including General Manager at a VW store in Florida back in '87 when I really fell for VW and drove my '88 diesel Jetta). Contrary to popular belief, not all dealership personnel are crooks (Think Diesel, I don't think that that was insinuated...just don't want to perpetuate that myth).

------------------
Commander-T(DI)
'96 Emerald Green Passat
K&N Filter
Anxiously waiting Upsolute Chip...
Prior diesel was a 50hp Tornado (oximoron) Red '89 Jetta with cool VW aftermarket wheels...

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
The remark in my original post about my downpayment getting bigger meant it was getting bigger in my own bank account, drawing interest over the last 5 months. The dealer in Bangor never saw a dime from me. Now that there is a Golf GL I can actually climb into, I'm willing to part with some money. I pick it up this Tuesday.

Turbo Direct Injection

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL Indigo Blue Pearl
That is great!

------------------
2001 Indigo Blue Golf GL
aol IM id rusty2029

[This message has been edited by GolfTDIinGarlandTX (edited December 17, 2000).]

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
By this time tomorrow, I will post as a TDI owner/operator. Just had to say it.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
It's in my barn! Drove it back from Augusta this afternoon. Bright green(looks dark to me)2001 Golf GL TDI 5 speed. It's good to be back in a VW. I previously had 2 beetles and 2 buses. All aircooled. Got rid of the last one in 1982. Time to go through the book which came with the new one. I'll be posting, I'm sure.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Fred's page comes through again! Derf-guy should be feeling pretty good about now too.

I have to say it was great reading this thread.

VW Vet, I'm SURE we'll hear from you again. It was pretty cool to hear you go through the whole transition from manic frustration to the glee of having the brand new machine in your BARN. You're in Maine - was that figurative, or do you really have a barn to park the new toy in?? Cool! I'll bet you can wash it year round!

We'll be quizzing you on the owners manual on Friday. So be punctual! haha

------------------
BeetleGo, "whoa!"
White 1998 NB 5-sp
Pretty much bone stock
Mud Flaps/Stone Guards/winter/fogs
------------------
"You said this was a DIESEL?!"