No start, fuse 38 blown, lamp in place of fuse CCM clicking rapidly

WINDSORB4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
LOOKING
I'm working on my buddies Golf built 1/99. It would not start and there was no voltage going to the start terminal at the starter. So a quick check of the fuses revealed fuse 38 to be blown. Replaced fuse and it started. Then the fuse blew again.

I searched and it apparently powers the locks, fuel door, hatch release, and interior lights. This car has roll up windows, manual motors, and no sunroof.

I placed a lamp in the fuse 38 position and it blinks rapidly along with a clicking from the CCM. If I unplug the center plug, it stops blinking, and the lamp goes out.

I have checked and unplugged everything at the doors and all the overhead lighting. I don't see any damaged wires.

I'm guessing the CCM is bad, but wanted a second opinion. If bad does it require programming? Can a used one be installed? The local pick n pull has one.

Thanks,
Vince

Last edited:

WINDSORB4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
LOOKING
Thanks for the idea!

I checked the wires and the big white and brown wires were cracked. They go to the defroster, and I covered them with so.e electrical tape. No other wires appeared damaged. Checker the wires at hatch release. For continuity to ground while opening and closing the hatch, no short.

It is definately odd. It currently does not blow the fuse.

Vince

WINDSORB4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
LOOKING
I sure hope so. The only other malady that's I noted was the courtesy lamp in the passenger had fallen out of its lens in the door panel. It could have been shorting out on the inner door panels bolts.

But, I think you nailed it right out of the box.

Thanks again,
Vince