$1000 loyalty incentive is all we should expect.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
so, lets say you turn in your TDI, wait 5 days to get the funds - then go to a dealer to buy another VW

do you get the loyalty discount? It seems like you *should* - but it looks like there is at least 1 dealer saying you need to buy the car before the buyback in order to get that discount.
Well, I got the loyalty discount on my 2010 JSW even though I had bought my previous VW in 2000 and had sold it in 2005. YMMV of course.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
so, lets say you turn in your TDI, wait 5 days to get the funds - then go to a dealer to buy another VW

do you get the loyalty discount? It seems like you *should* - but it looks like there is at least 1 dealer saying you need to buy the car before the buyback in order to get that discount.
No loyalty discount? No loyalty from me.
That answers that.

-T.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Normally, they'd ask to see your registration, not your car.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Yeah, but would you have a "valid" registration, if you turned in your VW? I guess you'd still be holding the paper.... but wouldn't they know that you turned in that car? I dunno, I think they *COULD* honor it, I just have the same question -- will they? If not, then it's just going to be used by the dealer to try to make you take a worse deal right there or else lose the $1000 bonus. I dunno, I'm aggravated just thinking about it.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Call and ask. They're trying to entice the sale of a car, not pull the rug out.

uscnoklahoma

TDI
Passat
My local VW dealer, Steve White, has just about turned me off of VW's totally. They refuse to budge when compared to other VW dealers out of state. Plus, I test drove the 1.8 gas and its not even close to being a TDI. I don't know where those test driving the 1.8's are getting that they are a blast, yada, yada...no they're not. They are sluggish out of the hole, shift too much, and the mpg isn't close if you are cruising 75-80 in hilly terrain.

Might be headed towards Subaru....never in my wildest dreams did I think I would say that. AWD and ground clearance is nice to have.

Then again just saw where Chevrolet is offering 20% off for every joe blow off the street. VW is screwing the pooch. I love the TDI and we are getting a good deal no matter what some on here think but you would think they would want to put more VW's back on the street. Then again I am not German.

Last edited:

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
Then again just saw where Chevrolet is offering 20% off for every joe blow off the street.
What would you get from Chevy?

Also, it's end of month / year. I've been getting multiple callbacks and emails with offers from several dealers I visited last month now as year end approaches. "We have a used white VW GTI golf Autobahn with 10k miles. You interested? Could get you a sweet deal on it..." "Hey, this is Bob from Volvo...just following up..." "Hey, we've got another $500 off any VW price..." Yeah, too bad you don't have the model I want.

-T.

uscnoklahoma

TDI
Passat
What would you get from Chevy?
Also, it's end of month / year. I've been getting multiple callbacks and emails with offers from several dealers I visited last month now as year end approaches. "We have a used white VW GTI golf Autobahn with 10k miles. You interested? Could get you a sweet deal on it..." "Hey, this is Bob from Volvo...just following up..." "Hey, we've got another $500 off any VW price..." Yeah, too bad you don't have the model I want.
-T.
Malibu looks pretty nice. We actually have a Cruze right now and it has way too many blindspots. Not sure if they fixed that on the new model.

I haven't received anything from any dealer. I honestly thought the sales incentives would be bigger, especially when you consider the layoffs by all auto manufacturers right now, but I am not seeing it. I did have a call back from White the other day and told the sales guy that a dealer in VA was 1,200 cheaper even after adding in all their hidden costs to the internet price. Haven't heard back even though #8 on their top #10 list is to not be beat by price. What a joke. I have tried 2 times buying from them and have not made a deal yet.

uscnoklahoma

TDI
Passat
The Equinox is coming in a 1..6 TDI!! and the Cruze as well This Summer.
I am really interested in the Equinox myself. I almost traded our gas cruze in for a diesel Cruze. It was crazy but they were offering the diesel Cruze at almost 10k off MSRP at the start of last year.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

It seems to be somewhat difficult to get dealers to email you OTD pricing. At least for me.
Truth! But it can be done. I contacted five dealers, including just two outside my area. Two local dealers wouldn't play ball. A third made a great pitch, but I could smell the bait-n-switch coming since the price only applied to cars actually on their lot (which didn't include my color choices). One distant dealer was advertising REALLY low prices, but it didn't take long to draw-out that those prices only applied if I financed through the dealer. I couldn't even get them to provide an APR estimate. I suspect it was around 4.9-to-5.9%. I'll never know.

I finally settled on a dealer that's about 80 miles from me. All through e-mail, and without a single phone call, he sent a detailed quote with all line items filled in (taxes, fees, etc). The price was $6000 below MSRP, but had a BS "Appearance Package" for $700. The package was worthless (pinstripes, locking lug bolts, and nitrogen for life), but it was a "built-in" cost (which was okay because I think I was near "the bubble" or their lowest price). Regardless, $5300 off MSRP for the exact color/model I wanted was a great find. Better yet, I have not seen another car like mine in the region during the 40 days that I've owned the car. :) Perhaps they'll be everywhere next summer. :p

I still had the $1000 "TDI Goodwill Package" and applied that to the price after the deal was closed. :cool:

Anyway, just thought I'd share. E-mail negotiations can work when there's not a glut of VW shoppers. The car I bought had been sitting on the showroom floor for over two months, so that may have compelled the salesperson to make an e-deal. I have no regrets.

Take Care,

Scott

uscnoklahoma

TDI
Passat
Hello,

Truth! But it can be done. I contacted five dealers, including just two outside my area. Two local dealers wouldn't play ball. A third made a great pitch, but I could smell the bait-n-switch coming since the price only applied to cars actually on their lot (which didn't include my color choices). One distant dealer was advertising REALLY low prices, but it didn't take long to draw-out that those prices only applied if I financed through the dealer. I couldn't even get them to provide an APR estimate. I suspect it was around 4.9-to-5.9%. I'll never know.

I finally settled on a dealer that's about 80 miles from me. All through e-mail, and without a single phone call, he sent a detailed quote with all line items filled in (taxes, fees, etc). The price was $6000 below MSRP, but had a BS "Appearance Package" for $700. The package was worthless (pinstripes, locking lug bolts, and nitrogen for life), but it was a "built-in" cost (which was okay because I think I was near "the bubble" or their lowest price). Regardless, $5300 off MSRP for the exact color/model I wanted was a great find. Better yet, I have not seen another car like mine in the region during the 40 days that I've owned the car. :) Perhaps they'll be everywhere next summer. :p

I still had the $1000 "TDI Goodwill Package" and applied that to the price after the deal was closed. :cool:

Anyway, just thought I'd share. E-mail negotiations can work when there's not a glut of VW shoppers. The car I bought had been sitting on the showroom floor for over two months, so that may have compelled the salesperson to make an e-deal. I have no regrets.

Take Care,

Scott
Just curious as to what dealer you used and which model and trim did you go with?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I talked to a local VW salesman and I told him I was turning in on January 11th and wanted to get a new car on that date. He seemed more concerned about me coming in now and buying when I said I wanted to buy on the 11th. I guess they all have their monthly quotas. But isn't selling a car next month better than selling none at all.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

Just curious as to what dealer you used and which model and trim did you go with?
I went through Priority VW in Chester, VA. It seems the dealers in northern VA are really hot right now regarding pricing. I've seen folks fly out from the midwest and the west coast to buy out here. [edit]To quote what I wrote in my paragraph below, it was quite possibly the best car buying experience I've ever had. [/edit]

I picked up a GTI Sport. It has everything I wanted with the exception of Fender Premium Audio. Sure, the fuel economy is not what I've come to love over my 18 years of driving TDIs. But this little car is a gem and great to drive. "Smiles per gallon" is better than "miles per gallon," I guess. :p

See more info on my StealthGTI.com website, linked in my signature.

He seemed more concerned about me coming in now and buying when I said I wanted to buy on the 11th.
Yeah, I saw the same thing. Two of the dealers who wouldn't deal with me knew that I was sitting on a TDI that was awaiting buyback (I didn't originally plan to buy another car until after buyback). The "bait-n-switch" guy I mentioned above knew I wanted either silver or white, but sent a quote on a black car. Unbelievable. But I already knew they'd say or do anything to sell a car that's already in their possession. Another dealer gave me the "we can get the car you want" line. I already knew where the only car in my color and configuration was sitting; that dealer had already given me a good quote. Sure, perhaps not as low as the "finance with us only" place, but so much less BS. They didn't even try to sell me paint/fabric "protection," undercoating, gap insurance, extended warranty, glass etching, or any other BS. I was out the door 10 minutes after walking into "the box." It was quite possibly the best car buying experience I've ever had. :cool:

Scott