Buying a 2004 Jetta TDi w/ issues

av8or91

TDI
none yet
So I am close to buying a 2004 Jetta TDi with some automatic transmission issues. It has 149K and they guy is asking 4900 for it. Its in ok shape outside and inside it it as some interior issues but no big deal.

THE BAD: When the car has been sitting overnight and completely cold, the transmission has a hard time getting out of first gear for the first mile or so and then it shifts normally. It is throwing a check engine light for Gear 2 ratio incorrect and gear 3 ratio incorrect as well as coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp. Any ideas if this is something simple to fix or if a new transmission is needed.

Her is some pictures

Any idea if these fenders are original? No VW tags

Some leak or oil overfill

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Well, that's about $1600 below KBB private party value. Not sure if that's enough to make it worth it to buy somebody else's problem.

jaypee_alh

TDI
'97 B4 Sedan
He's asking too much IMO. The coolant temp fault is pretty easily remedied with a new thermostat & ect, but those trans faults are slip faults. Greater than 90% probability the trans is done for & needs overhaul or replacement.

Then, you need to factor in all the maintenance & other repair work required to get this jetta "up to snuff".

$2500 tops. That's what I'd pay & I have access to parts at wholesale & free "my" labor.