Thermostat issues

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
there has been a lot of talk about thermostat temps being all over the place and that many of us have to replace them. Yesterday I did a cage mod (dielectric grease MAF connector) and I was wondering if perhaps anyone has used a similar product in the connectors to the coolant reservoir to and perhaps to other critical contact points in the car.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
newTDI,

I try to use dielectric on about any connector I get my hands on to. Simply for the fact I like to clean my engine regularly, and it helps to keep out moisture. It also helps keep the connector lubed up, and aids in disassembly. Never really thought of it on the coolant reservoir for some reason-good idea though, especially to help prevent coolant migration.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
ok, I will start using it in every connector. The next question is how much is right? I have read about people putting a whole bunch in there and wiping off the excess ...

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
NewTDI,

Clean with contact cleaner first, and then just do your best to "Fill er Up". Remember what you want to do is displace any available air space in there with the dielectric grease. Basically filling it up will not allow any room for water, or vapor buildup. It also keeps air(oxygen) from between and surrounding the electrical connections that would otherside cause them to oxidize. Oxidation over time will cause the contact resistance to raise and could eventually cause the contact to fail. Spray and clean fuse and relay contacts one by one also. I have seen some get so bad that they have started fires in fuse panels before, specifically the fuse panel on top of the battery. This is very worthwhile preventative maintenance, and I know this has saved me quite a few headaches myself.