amount of oil for my compressor

chrgnu

TDI
2000 jetta
I'm replacing the compressor on my 2000 jetta. the new compressor didnt come with the amount of, or the oil. can i buy the "first time 134a with oil" from an auto parts store, it come in 12 oz cans. If you have any additional info/ secrets please tell me. thank you jesse

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I'm replacing the compressor on my 2000 jetta. the new compressor didnt come with the amount of, or the oil. can i buy the "first time 134a with oil" from an auto parts store, it come in 12 oz cans. If you have any additional info/ secrets please tell me. thank you jesse
The correct oil is Sanden SP10. It's a bit hard to find, though. If you can't find it, PAG 46 oil is the correct viscosity. Don't use PAG 100, it's the wrong viscosity. Auto parts stores generally carry the PAG46, SP10 might be found at a proper Automotive A/C supplier. I get many of my AC supplies from AC Source - www.acsource.com

You can use the R134 cans that have oil, provided that the oil is correct (PAG46) and you end up with the correct amount added to the system.

Most new compressors come filled with oil. I always replace the oil with new. I do this so I'm positive the correct amount of oil is in the system. You don't want to assume the compressor has no oil, then add oil to a compressor already filled with oil and end up with way too much. Also, most compressors that come pre-filled will have a full load of oil (usually 135cc). That's fine if you have flushed all the old oil out or are installing the compressor on a new system. Adding 135cc to a system that already has oil and you'll end with way too much.

Ideally, you want to measure how much oil was in the old compressor, then put that amount of new oil in the new compressor. Hold the compressor with the pulley facing up and drain the old oil out of compressor and into a graduated measuring cup. Rotate the pulley nut with a wrench while draining to help get all the oil out.
For example, if you get 50cc of oil out of the old compressor, you'd add 50cc to the new one. I usually add an extra 10cc or so since you won't get every last drop out. So I'd add 60cc in this case.

The alternative is to use the chart in the Bentley manual which shows that the compressor generally holds about 50% of the total oil in the system. Total oil capacity is 135cc for a Sanden compressor, 115cc for a Zexel. So the correct amount of oil to put in the compressor is 67cc (2.3 oz) for a Sanden compressor, 57cc (1.9 oz) for a Zexel compressor.

Adding oil to new compressor procedure:

Remove the caps on the fittings and drain the oil into a container. Hold the compressor with the pulley facing up. Put a wrench on the pulley nut and rotate several times while draining.

Turn the compressor so the fittings are facing up.

Pour the correct amount of oil into one of the fittings. Use a clean graduated measuring cup, don't guess at it.

Replace the caps on the fittings (keeps out moisture and dirt).

Mount the compressor in the car and hook up the lines.

Before putting the serpentine belt on, rotate the compressor (wrench on the pulley nut) a couple of dozen times to pump some of that oil out into the lines.

Install serpentine belt, vacuum down the system and add refrigerant.