"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hi folks,
I thought I would chime in here since I have some CAI retaled news that I'm sure will spark some discussion.
We just came off a dyno session while testing our new Passat exhaust & tune where we found a pretty significant power improvement with our cold air intake on both the Passat and Jetta. We did 3 pulls with the stock airbox installed, 3 pulls with no airbox installed (just MAF and tube extension) and finally 3 pulls with our CAI. After all the hype about intakes being worthless on our 2.0lcr TDIs we were pleasantly surprised by the results...13whp over the stock intake and about 8whp over just the intake tube extension. These were with a AEM DryFlow filter and yes, the original VW filter was fresh and clean.
Feel free to discuss and/or call me a liar while I dig up the dyno sheets.:cool:
So you're saying that your CAI is providing 8 hp MORE than an open intake?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Hi folks,
I thought I would chime in here since I have some CAI retaled news that I'm sure will spark some discussion.
We just came off a dyno session while testing our new Passat exhaust & tune where we found a pretty significant power improvement with our cold air intake on both the Passat and Jetta. We did 3 pulls with the stock airbox installed, 3 pulls with no airbox installed (just MAF and tube extension) and finally 3 pulls with our CAI. After all the hype about intakes being worthless on our 2.0lcr TDIs we were pleasantly surprised by the results...13whp over the stock intake and about 8whp over just the intake tube extension. These were with a AEM DryFlow filter and yes, the original VW filter was fresh and clean.
Feel free to discuss and/or call me a liar while I dig up the dyno sheets.:cool:
Does your filter meet the filtration of the stock filter?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Last night, I spent a few hours on the dyno, I'm running what some here would call a "CAI", AEM dryflow filter on a 3" turbo inlet. I gained 2hp by removing the filter, it has over 20,000 miles on it

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Last night, I spent a few hours on the dyno, I'm running what some here would call a "CAI", AEM dryflow filter on a 3" turbo inlet. I gained 2hp by removing the filter, it has over 20,000 miles on it
Have you happened to compare it to a stock setup? I imagine that the stock setup would be a bit restrictive with your mods.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I've run the stock setup on my b4 with all my current mods and dyno's it has done. Except for some swiss cheese that is. Doubt that matters.

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
I've run the stock setup on my b4 with all my current mods and dyno's it has done. Except for some swiss cheese that is. Doubt that matters.
The only thing I noticed with Swiss Cheese was the RPMs climbing over 3000+ much easier. It breaths better for sure!

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
The way that most VW TDIs are made, they already have a "Cold Air Intake". I couldn't provide photos but if you look at the front bumper on most models, that plastic grill low to the ground is the port that feeds the intake air supply to my knowledge. Having said all that though, I did upgrade to the K&N drop in replacement for my TDI (33-2128) as they are washable/reusable and I will never have to hunt down an exotic air filter or pay for some no name filter. Seems like a win for me.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The way that most VW TDIs are made, they already have a "Cold Air Intake". I couldn't provide photos but if you look at the front bumper on most models, that plastic grill low to the ground is the port that feeds the intake air supply to my knowledge. Having said all that though, I did downgrade to the K&N drop in replacement for my TDI (33-2128) as they are washable/reusable and I will never have to hunt down an exotic air filter or pay for some no name filter. Seems like a win for me.
Fixed it for you.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
some personal observations. I was running the AFE pro Dry drop in, in the factory box, and decided to try the carbonio intake. The carbonio is louder inside the cabin. then on a trip up to seattle, I was cruising 75 mph getting 42 mpg, when it started to rain.. the milage dropped to 36! the carbonio sucks the dirt and rain directly into the filter, the factory is designed to collect the moisture and large dirt before it gets to the filter. the carbonio filter was completely filthy after 5000 miles

I'm back to factory intake with AFE filter

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Did you track N75?

Hi folks,
Hello Rawtek. I have recently installed your full open exhaust and purchased the CAI. When you made these dyno pulls, did you track the N75 at that time? Was there any boost creep or spikes that would potentially be unsafe for a daily driver?

Thank you

Jon

BlakDog

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Replace or not to replace

I have a 2013 Jetta wagon TDI. I've been
going through these threads. Most of it is over
My head. Should I just leave my stock air
Intake alone or replace it with something
Like the AFE pro 7 intake kit for a simple and quick
Upgrade to my Jetta? I was also thinking of getting a module tuner
that plugs into your fuel injection blowers,
Your fuse box, battery etc. are these all
Gimmick and a waste of money or do they really work?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Everything mentioned in your post is a gimmick and a waste of money. The air filter will provide no improvement and the modular plug-and-play "tuners" are not effective on the new engines (according to many reports here). The "tuners" are also more expensive than a real computer tune.

BlakDog

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Thanks VeeDub. I was just checking. If it's seems to good to be true it usually isn't.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
just get the AFE Dry filter to fit in factory box to keep you from spending money on new filters. Our systems have been proven not to be upgradeable, just except it and move onto having it tuned and if you have more money a larger turbo, stronger clutch and, upgrade injectors.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Where did my post go?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
just get the AFE Dry filter to fit in factory box to keep you from spending money on new filters. Our systems have been proven not to be upgradeable, just except it and move onto having it tuned and if you have more money a larger turbo, stronger clutch and, upgrade injectors.
You make it sound like a bad thing that the induction system is well-designed.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
You're probably looking in the wrong thread. :confused:
Nope, it was this one, I quoted the "injector blowers" and said it must match with muffler bearings. Never heard that saying before. :confused:

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
You make it sound like a bad thing that the induction system is well-designed.
Not my intention just spent a lot time and money to develop a product that I was duped by a large manufacturer selling me that it gains 15HP and it took off 5 HP on mine and luckily did not sell any before testing finished and I got my money back for the case "first production order that they made me purchase".

It was a negative experience and I went round and round trying to improve the air intake and could not except when it came to the intake manifold, but that is for other threads.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI