DYNO: stock chip, stock vs. POWERPLUS 357 injectors

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
Real-world data, ain't it great?

KERMA ( http://www.kermatdi.com ) supplied me with a set of his Bosio POWERPLUS 357 nozzles so that we could see what the story really is. The PP357s are the "similar-class" replacements for the stock 0.184 manual nozzles. Bosio claims a slight fuel flow increase and a slight mileage increase.

So what's the real story? Here it is...

Two sets of dyno runs were made with my 2001 5-speed Golf with stock chip. The first dyno was with the stock nozzles with approximately 35k miles and the second was with PP357 nozzles with approximately 500 miles. The only mods to my car are the VagCom EGR adaptation and a Dawes device to limit boost spikes. Stock airbox, OEM paper air filter, snorkel with screen in place.

I feel that my old nozzles, although having 35k miles, were still in good shape. Mileage has been consistent (I got 62mpg at the TDIFest mileage rally on ~B80 about 5k miles ago) and my stock dynoplots correspond with other stock plots. So any differences due to the age of the nozzles (old vs. new) shouldn't be too significant.

Atmospheric conditions during the two sets of runs were VERY close. 1-3*F difference in ambient temp, and 0.15 in-HG difference in barometric pressure.

Fuel used is standard Atlanta diesel on both runs. The stock runs were with standard dosage of PS Diesel Kleen, and the PP357 runs with standard dosage of PS Diesel Fuel Supplement.

Gary Miyakawa was present for both sets of dyno runs and he lent his RPM measurement equipment. Thanks to him for his help.

All runs were in 4th gear.

So... here's the data:

First, stock nozzles without dawes versus PP357 nozzles without dawes. 002 is stock/no dawes, 005 is PP357/no dawes.

Max increase over stock is 9 HP and 15 lb-ft. That's approximately a 10% increase over stock in both values. Also notice that the power increase is across the board. This results in a nice, even increase in power at all speeds and throttle settings.

Now, let's look at the PP357 nozzles with and without the dawes device. 005 is PP357 without dawes and 007 is PP357 with dawes.

Peak power's about the same, but I gain about 4 lb-ft of peak torque. The big thing here, though, is the shape of the curve. While doing the dyno run without the dawes, boost spiked to 18psi, undershot to 12psi, and finally settled to constant 14-14.5 psi at around 3200 RPM. WITH the dawes, boost spiked to 16psi, and barely undershot before immediately stabilizing at 14-14.5 psi.

Note that both plots are identical above 3200 RPM... both configurations have steadied out to 14-14.5 psi by that point. Now compare the responses between 2000-3200 RPM... the no dawes run (005) has two dips... the first comes from the overshoot (turbo is being driven higher than it needs to be... power is taken away from the wheels to drive the turbo), and the second from the undershoot (lower boost means lower MAF reading, and the smoke map cuts fueling).

So... conclusions?

Upgrading from stock nozzles in a manual to the "similar-class" POWERPLUS nozzles will give you approximately 10% increase in peak power and torque, and will give you MORE power across the entire operating range of the engine. Results in an automatic using the smaller POWERPLUS nozzles should be similar. With the nozzles (and with even bigger nozzles and with chips or tuning boxes), the Dawes device not only limits boost spiking, but makes more power available to the wheels during turbo spool-up.

Qualitatively, I definitely felt a little more power after about 50 miles with the new nozzles in. I get NO visible smoke at all, even WOT at night with lights behind me. I would recommend doing the VagCom EGR adaptation if you go to bigger nozzles to make sure that extra air is available in part-load situations.

Discussion?

(edited to change topic name)

<small>[ February 03, 2003, 12:31: Message edited by: DavinATL ]</small>

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One more thing. This data should finally put to rest the lengthly argument in the last several pages of the Unchipped and .205s thread. In that thread, I and others claimed that larger injectors always flow more fuel and create more power across the board. valois claimed that larger injectors only create more power over 3500 RPM, and that an aftermarket chip is necessary to fully take advantage of them.

Quotes from valois from that thread:

The fueling maps are identical on the two cars in the dyno Davin, it's evident with identical maps, that fueling is independant of injector size until around 3500 RPM, what's a matter don't like real world data instead of your guessing?

====

Didn't you do a boost bleed with that? I have yet to see a stock car run a dyno, then install .205's and run an after dyno, you guys have an idea on 2 of the 25 maps in the ECU but you are real good at guessing what's going on.

====

When someone runs a dyno on a stock 99.5 or later TDI and then runs an after dyno with .205 injectors added then we will have the definative answer, my best guess from looking at the MAPS is that there will be a slight increase above 3500 RPMS. Just enlarging the holes does not increase nor decrease pump pressure nor necessarily add more fuel.

====

Well, a dyno was run on a stock 99.5 or later TDI and there is a uniform increase in power and torque across the board. So... putting in larger injectors does result in higher fuel flows at every point in the operating regime, not just above 3500 RPM.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Davin, those are nice and there's nothing like having some legitimate and valid data to support your post. It doesn't get any better than that.

I will scrutinize this mod a bit more closely when i have a chance.

Any notable change in smoke?

thx.

valois

Banned
Nice info Davin, you see at most 4 or 5 hp until 3000 RPM's I can do as much with a filter.
Try posting the data in SAE correction instead of actual. Care to comment on the average error factor on a dynojet from run to run. I assume you took the best of the injector runs as you have at least 7 runs. Please post all the info including all 7 runs, more if you have them and we'll draw our own conclusions instead of you putting it on a plate to support your ideas.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Originally posted by DavinATL:
I would recommend doing the VagCom EGR adaptation if you go to bigger nozzles to make sure that extra air is available in part-load situations.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are suggesting decreasing the fueling? By how much? I think both of our cars are set to 4.0 presently.

Also, can you mention the cost for this injector mod?

valois

Banned
Real-world data, ain't it great?

Atmospheric conditions during the two sets of runs were VERY close. 1-3*F difference in ambient temp, and 0.15 in-HG difference in barometric pressure.

Discussion?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's why there is an SAE standard display. What happened to dyno run 1, 3, 4, and #6? Date aand time tags? Send the files Davin, we'll look em over carefully.

pierre

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf gls
That is what I am curious to see. I just installed the .205PP's and I am wondering what I am putting to the wheels. I have taken a hit to the fuel Mileage. I went from 42mpg to 36mpg
I am waiting to see what the next tank will do. I am using the power all the time, just too much fun
I have 5900 miles on the ODO

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by dieseldorf:
Any notable change in smoke?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope. Zero noticeable before, zero noticeable after.

The IQ adjustment shouldn't be necessary if you have no smoke and the idle is stable.

KERMA's got all his prices at http://www.kermatdi.com.

ljthawk

Try posting the data in SAE correction instead of actual.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">valois,

Have you ever read the SAE specifications as outlined and the corresponding correction equations? The SAE corrections used for a normally aspirated gasoline engine, a super charged / turbo charged gasoline engine, and for a Diesel (yes capitalized out of respect for Dr. Diesel) are completely different. The SAE corrections pre programmed into the dyno's software only applies to normally aspirated gasoline engines. If you have ever studied the SAE corrections you would know they are not the same and much more involved for Diesel engines, requiring measurement of MAP, manifold intake temperature, fuel flow, fuel temperature, use of correlation tables, and a few others I can't remember off hand. Furthermore, once you boost a diesel engine the correction factor diminishes with increasing boost. If you were to apply the SAE correction factor for a normally aspirated gas motor to a boosted Diesel motor you would have incorrect results. I suggest you get your hands on the SAE specifications and do a little reading. Don't feel bad, I know some dyno operators who really didn't understand this either, that is until I sent them the SAE specifications. Yes, I have spoken with several dyno operators / owners, some diesel chip programers (for trucks), and assisted at a few dyno events.

All that aside, Davin's correction factors were 1 and 0.99, so if you insisted on applying the incorrect correction factors it really doesn't change much in this case. The bigger problem is when you start dynoing at higher altitudes such as at May Madness in Las Vegas or dyno in Utah or Colorado.

Again, don't take my word for it. Being as well read and connected in the technical world as I hear you are, you should have no problem picking up a copy of the SAE specs and seeing for yourself.

L.J.

P.S. If you haven't figured it out yet, Davin is no average cookie. He's one sharp tool. Who else can say they had the opportunity of doing their Chubaka impression on national TV.

Boundless

BANNED
Originally posted by valois:
Nice info Davin, you see at most 4 or 5 hp until 3000 RPM's I can do as much with a filter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"><ahem> <cough cough cough> <bullchit>

"Do a search on this forum and you will find that in the 2000 times I have commented on Airfilters I have never claimed a HP increase on a TDI with an airfilter. Quite the contrary. Diesels run with excess air as it is. Mileage differences will be negligible, if the filters are properly maintained there will be no difference in longevity of the engine." -valois

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There you are valois. I knew you'd show up and nitpick the results.

Um. ~6 at 2000 rpm, ~7 at 2250 rpm, 6.5 at 2500 rpm, 6 at 2750 rpm.

Also, getting these numbers on a stock car with just a filter is pure BS. Your turn to show dyno numbers.

Try posting the data in SAE correction instead of actual.

Run 002: uncorrected (as plotted) 87.84 HP, 151.87 lb-ft, corrected 87.83 HP, 151.85 lb-ft
Run 005: uncorrected (as plotted) 96.23 HP, 167.05 lb-ft, corrected 95.17, 165.20 lb-ft. Less than 1HP/2lb-ft difference.

But I'm sure you know that these SAE corrections are calibrated for naturally aspirated gassers. The most accurate numbers to compare turbodiesels are the uncorrected WHEN the atmospheric conditions are so similar, as they are in this case.

Besides, you seem to be very happy confident with Oldman's testing and results, and AFAIK he uses uncorrected values.

I assume you took the best of the injector runs as you have at least 7 runs. Please post all the info including all 7 runs, more if you have them and we'll draw our own conclusions instead of you putting it on a plate to support your ideas.

There was no 001 run. 002-004 were with stock nozzles, 002 without dawes, 003 and 004 with dawes at different settings. 005-007 were with PP357 nozzles. 005 with no dawes, 006 and 007 with dawes. the setting of the dawes on 006 didn't allow full boost, so it can't really be used for comparison.

You'll notice that stock run 003 had higher torque than run 002. 002 was without dawes and 003 was with dawes. This is why I compared 002 with 005 (both without dawes).

So, everyone can draw their own conclusions. I've got nothing to hide and no motivation for deception.

Date aand time tags? Send the files Davin, we'll look em over carefully.

<ul type="square">[*]DAVIN.003 12/5/2002 7:42PM 57.71*F, 28.98 in.Hg. CF=1.00[*]DAVIN.004 12/5/2002 7:45PM 60.31*F, 28.97 in.Hg. CF=1.00[*]DAVIN.005 1/28/2003 7:23PM 60.53*F, 29.14 in.Hg. CF=1.00[*]DAVIN.006 1/28/2003 7:26PM 62.25*F, 29.14 in.Hg. CF=1.00[*]DAVIN.007 1/28/2003 7:28PM 62.90*F, 29.14 in.Hg. CF=1.00[*]DAVIN.002 12/5/2002 7:39PM 59.86*F, 28.97 in.Hg. CF=1.00
[/list]

002 and 005 show the difference that the injectors make WITHOUT DAWES. They are the only non-dawes runs, and the atmospheric conditions are nearly identical. 005 and 007 show the difference that the dawes makes with injectors. I picked 007 over 006 for the with-dawes run since, as I mentioned, the setting of the dawes for the 006 run didn't allow full boost.

<small>[ January 29, 2003, 10:52: Message edited by: DavinATL ]</small>

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, regarding PP .205 nozzles... it's in the works! Patience...

valois

Banned
Nitpick? SAE correction accounts for temperature and baro pressure. A dyno comparison is invalid unless it's posted in SAE. The info you provided does not help without the files. If you are confident in your findings you will send the files. Dyno run 3 does not "fit " does it?
If you posted in SAE it would not "fit" either. Send me the files Davin. I'll look at them. Then we'll discuss the relative innacuracies with a dynojet from run to run.

ljthawk

I found this from an old post I made sometime last year on one of the Ford Diesel forums

I spent some time reading over the SAE standards, (SAE J2177, J1995, & J1349) and noticed there are different correction factors for gasoline engines and Diesel's are different. If you apply the corrections of a gasoline engine to a turbo diesel when operating at high altitudes, you will most likely get numbers that are too high because the corrections are adding HP that was not really lost or subtracting HP that wasn't really gained.

In order to properly apply the Diesel corrections, one has to measure inlet & boost pressure & temperature along with fuel flow rate with viscosity & density corrections. All of these measurements are then used in a few equations and tables to derive the proper correction factor. If you follow the equations it also appears the correction factors have less effect the higher your boost is, making since because one would assume the boost counteracts any intake deficits caused by high altitudes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">L.J.

[ January 29, 2003, 10:43: Message edited by: ljthawk ]

valois

Banned
According to your "posted" time stamps, dynorun 5, 6 and 7 were run before 2 , 3 and 4.
what a sham.

ljthawk

valois,

Either you didn't read my previous post or you still don't get it.

Read the SAE standards for yourself before you back yourself up to a wall with an argument you can't win.

L.J.

valois

Banned

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DAVIN.004 12/5/2002 7:45PM 60.31*F, 28.97 in.Hg. CF=1.00</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DAVIN.005 1/28/2003 7:23PM 60.53*F, 29.14 in.Hg. CF=1.00</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DAVIN.006 1/28/2003 7:26PM 62.25*F, 29.14 in.Hg. CF=1.00</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DAVIN.007 1/28/2003 7:28PM 62.90*F, 29.14 in.Hg. CF=1.00
</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">boost.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
smell fishy?

valois

Banned
Davin is in Atlanta, not at high altitude, SAE corrected display accounts for temperature and Baro and is the only way to compare two runs for differences.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
According to your "posted" time stamps, dynorun 5, 6 and 7 were run before 2 , 3 and 4.
what a sham.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you dense? Look at the dates.

Original post edited to include data for run 002.

ljthawk

Read the standards before you put that foot in any deeper.

Applying the wrong correction equation, the one used for spark ignition engines which is the one programmed in the dyno's software, to a compression ignition engine is wrong. Like I said, if you don't believe me read the standards for yourself. I guess you know more then the authors of the standards.

Are you always this stubborn and difficult? From reading a few posts up above it appears you like to go back and forth on your thoughts.

L.J.

[ January 29, 2003, 10:55: Message edited by: ljthawk ]

Boundless

BANNED
Run on different dates? You must use SAE. Send the files Davin.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">SAE accounts for different dates?

valois

Banned
Not really Boundy, if you are going to try and compare changes on a dyno they should be done on the same car, on the same dyno, on the same day. SAE will account for differences that exist in temp and BARO, Davin does not want to release the files, cause he has already looked at it with SAE and seen that if you compare it's going to show diddly below 3000. Or isf you compared say file 3 to file 5 the results are not as much below 3000. This would not "fit" Davin's argument, so just massage things a bit, show best run with worse run, throw out SAE corrections, and voila, nicely packaged presentation. What a joke.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nitpick? SAE correction accounts for temperature and baro pressure. A dyno comparison is invalid unless it's posted in SAE.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, nitpick. SAE corrections as utilized by the Dynojet are for NATURALLY ASPIRATED GASSERS. You really need to learn more about this. And it accounts for temp and baro... you mean 2*F and 0.15 in.HG are going to result in a 9HP increase?!?! Get serious. the correction factors were all within LESS than 0.01 of each other!!!!

The info you provided does not help without the files. If you are confident in your findings you will send the files.

I posted plots of every run and the recorded conditions. I am confident in the findings.

Dyno run 3 does not "fit " does it?

It sure doesn't. It was with the Dawes. Even stock, the dawes results in a slight increase in torque down low since the boost control is better. I compared no dawes (002) with no dawes (005).

Then we'll discuss the relative innacuracies with a dynojet from run to run.

This dynojet appears to have very good reliability... I mean... look at the 002-004 and 005-007 plots above 3200 RPM where boost has stabilized to the same amount in all cases.

This is also the dynojet that Gary Miyakawa used to dyno the Upsolute chip, the dyno that you still use in your advertising. ( Dynotesting link at bottom of page ) Are you questioning the validity and run-to-run repeatability of this setup?

[ January 29, 2003, 11:04: Message edited by: DavinATL ]

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Send the files Davin..........
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why so you can post them and copy them and send them to your "superiors" at the epsilonian federation? I mean you can't be serious.

You are completely wrong and can't admit it?

Gary M - master TDI tuner - was there observing the data and it still isn't good enough for you?

You can't take a screen shot of the data as enough for you?

Wow