www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

View Poll Results: Which words in raised white letter for my tire sidewalls? See post #220 for pictures
NARFATOMIC BLASTOMIC 0 0%
NARFATOMIC BLASTOMATIC 4 23.53%
NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST 0 0%
NARF ATOMIC BLAST 1 5.88%
NARF BLAST 5 29.41%
NARFBLAST ATOMIC 1 5.88%
NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST 1 5.88%
NARFATOMIC ATOMICBLAST 0 0%
NARF ATOMIC BLASTOMATIC 2 11.76%
EPIC FACEPALM 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5th, 2011, 04:13   #76
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarfBLAST View Post
Celebrated our 10th anniversary and 441,000km today. Took a quick sunset cruise for a photo overlooking Dundas.

Like! Lets have another 10/441K!
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:25   #77
Silver02TDI
Veteran Member

Hey Narf, saw your "why I won't buy a diesel again" post. I wouldn't compare it to a City Golf, but Comfortline Golf to Comfortline Golf, in 2011 it was $2400 difference for the TDI engine plus 6 speed transmission option vs 2.5L 5 speed. I guess those that bought TDIs generally want to the higher trimlines so VW doesn't offer the TDI in a trendline anymore (Trendline Golf 2.5L 5 speed is $3800 cheaper than Comfortline TDI 6MT). Did you ever consider getting a City Golf and doing a TDI transplant into it? You probably have the skills... I always wondered about doing that...
Silver02TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:52   #78
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Took the car to a show today. I had the tallest car at http://www.vagkraft.com/, LOL!

The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 04:12   #79
thevwkid53
Veteran Member

TDI(s): DAS SOOT

Hey Paul, sorry I couldn't talk to you when I saw you at the show. The judges were looking at my car at that time. I couldn't find you after that even with the tallest car at the show. lol
thevwkid53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 21:43   #80
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver02TDI View Post
Hey Narf, saw your "why I won't buy a diesel again" post. I wouldn't compare it to a City Golf, but Comfortline Golf to Comfortline Golf, in 2011 it was $2400 difference for the TDI engine plus 6 speed transmission option vs 2.5L 5 speed. I guess those that bought TDIs generally want to the higher trimlines so VW doesn't offer the TDI in a trendline anymore (Trendline Golf 2.5L 5 speed is $3800 cheaper than Comfortline TDI 6MT). Did you ever consider getting a City Golf and doing a TDI transplant into it? You probably have the skills... I always wondered about doing that...
Hey, I missed this post for some reason just noticed it now, sorry. Yes I still think that the new VW Golf TDI is over priced and over optioned and there should be a Mk6 base model with 15inch steel wheels and roll up windows for under $16. That is exactly why we bought the new Kia, allthough my wife ended up spending $4000 extra on power everything and 16" alloy wheels, which I am still not happy about. There is even a option for no air conditioning on the base Kia - that would have been really economical.

YES! I have thought about dropping the TDI into a newer CITY Golf, I thought that would have been hilarious especially if the engine had half a million km on it. But the body on my golf is almost perfect and now that the suspension has been completely refreshed and the door locks mostly work, meh, its okay. Maybe if I found a City Golf in that bright yellow colour with a blown engine then it would be fun to swap and get all new seats, floors, working door locks, working hatch, and keep the original silver Golf for spare parts. I thought about it, but not seriously.
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
Old October 4th, 2011, 21:58   #81
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

The maintenance log on my blackberry is sounding more like a diary. This car needs way too much maintenance, but now that I am doing everything myself it is not so bad. I told my wife the other day, "I can't get rid of it now, this car still has so much more to teach me." Here is just the last 10,000 km.

Aug 4,11 at 441900 CELEBRATED 10th anniversary

Aug 14,11 at 442,000 noticed vibration at 100km/h when road curves to the right: worn tie rods and tie rod ends on both sides.

Aug 17,11 at 443,000 dip stick shows 3/4 hash mark level: good! Also getting fantastic fuel economy 4.7lkh or 50mpg!!!

Aug 24,11 at 444,200 dip stick low? topped up to top of hash marks.

Sep 29,11 at 451,000 new left inner and outter tie rod and new right outter tie rod. Alinged with string and digital caliper to within inverse tan (1mm toe/390mm rim size) = 0.15 degress total front toe in ! Also replaced left side tie rod boot had hole in it probably since accident last year when it was replaced by shop. Shop should have replaced boot. I am pretty sure right side inner tie rod is factory original with original boot and clamp and has no play at all. Also the old left inner tie rod that the shop gave me to show me "how bad I bent it" had zero play and was original. Goes to show how important those boots are! (Steering Boots aka bellows when searching for the part online)

Oct 3,11 bought 4 used winter tires ready mounted on factory steelies. On the way home (200km round trip from scarborough) engine power started fluctuation on the highway, still had boost, but quickly set my Scangauge to show MAF reading and it was way low and fluctuating. Stopped and checked hoses, no problem found, must be maf, will check tommorrow.

Oct 4,11 replaced flakey TDI MAF with old 2.0L Gas engine MAF which I set untwisted: car runs perfect and MAF readings are stable on the scangauge!

Oct 4,11 Finally got the last Goodyear Allegra FuelMax Tire OFF the car and onto the utility trailer axle with its buddy the other Allegra FuelMax with the runout problem. Car is so much quieter and smoother on the highway now running matched pair of old style Goodyear Allergra tires up front and Uniroyal Tiger Paw touring out back. Front 4/32 tread left on Goodyears Rear 5/32 tread left on Uniroyals Will put the used winters with 6 to 7 /32 tread on at the first snow fall or when temperatures stay below 7 degree daytime high.

Oct 4,11 at 451,775 oil change and dip stick has oil up to the upper bend. Got to check oil more often as it had fallen just below the lowest hash mark before I started. Just realized I am overdue for air filter. I have two on hand but will do it another day.

NEXT oil change 467,775 km (every 16,000)
NEXT air filter 442,500 km (every 32,000)
NEXT fuel filter 468,200 km (every 32,000)
NEXT timing belt 556,000 km (every 160,000)

Last edited by NarfBLAST; October 4th, 2011 at 22:00.
Old October 5th, 2011, 21:09   #82
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Over 400 wonderful kilometers today. Got paid overtime and mileage to drive to Southampton, Ontario. Haven't been there in years. I was told they were just rated number one sunset spot in Canada, and at one time National Geographic rated them number two behind only Madagascar. Wow. Who knew? Took some pictures between service calls.

Old October 7th, 2011, 08:11   #83
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Wow, that is indeed gorgeous!
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 20:02   #84
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

I like to save things that I think I might be able to use later. Today I re-discovered this cardboard backdrop from a box on one of kids toys came in. With only a small amount of trimming it fit perfectly into the top of my tool box. I added the caption "Welcome to my Happy Place".

Old October 12th, 2011, 20:07   #85
vwjettadsl

Like it

Malone Tuning Dealer, I offer mobile tuning service for ALL TDI's + CDI's
www.vwtdisales.com

vwjettadsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 20:56   #86
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Found a 10 year old photo of my car, from a road trip to Florida in August of 2001 before the car's first oil change! Taken just outside the Kennedy Space center. Probably my favorite photo of this car ever. On the way out of Cape Canaveral, after a day of having my mind blown (first visit), I found this back entrance with a perfect place to park and get these full sized models in a picture with my new vehicle.

Pictured here: Space Shuttle, Solid Boosters and Liquid Fuel Tank, and VW Escape Pod
The sign on the gate says "Do Not Enter" and beneath the car large clear letters read "NO PARKING"

Last edited by NarfBLAST; October 12th, 2011 at 21:02.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 19:22   #87
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Default Mk4 Golf Lower Grille Delete...

This summer I was trying to decide how to mount a front brush guard when I decided to delete the lower grilles.

I trimmed out all the extra bits (that were mostly broken anyway) from the openings using x-acto blades.

I touched up the areas where I cut out the vertical bars with duplicolor VW reflex silver touch up paint.

I also sprayed some black bed liner on the silver bits of the frame that normally are visible.

I was going to put some kind of protective mesh in there but never got around to it. A quick survey of some other vehicles factory grilles says that stone protection is optional. In order to make the opening as clean and straight as possible I trimmed away all the places where the stock grilles clip in, so there is no turning back!

Anyway, I've been driving around like this for a month and I am still loving it, also, I had time to wash the car today.

Now normally I run a winter front and plug all this stuff up, but this year I think I may just leave everything open and rely on the Frostheater to heat everything up. Other than aesthetics another reason to leave everything open thru the winter is that I have an exhaust leak from the flex pipe and damp injection pump seals. I have to close the vents (recirculate button) any time the vehicle is not in motion else I get a mix of diesel exhaust and raw diesel fuel smell in the cabin. I am not sure when or if I will be fixing either of these two issues so I might as well keep the engine bay well ventilated.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 21:10   #88
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Less than forty four megameters until I reach half a gigameter on the odometer!

Eliminated two sources of check engine light (P0380 glow plug and P0402 EGR) today and restored power to the rear de-fogger. I am looking forward to driving more and working on it less. Here is the log entry:

Nov 3, 2011 at 456,000 km
- Soldered glow plug wires to glow plugs (removed harness).
- Twisted the 2.0L gas MAF which I had been running straight. MAF reading on Scangauge went from 16g/s to 13g/s at idle, made a video of how to adjust.
- Checked injection pump leak: very wet.
- Checked Oil Dip stick is just above highest hash mark.
- Extended wires for third brake light and reconnected rear window defogger that had been disconnected since repairing frayed hatch wires.

Last edited by NarfBLAST; November 3rd, 2011 at 21:14.
Old November 10th, 2011, 15:38   #89
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

457000km... I have ordered the injection pump seals and tool from Dieselgeek

http://g.co/maps/sp7xr
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:56   #90
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

First time in 10 years, winter wheels and tires!

I wasn't sure if I like looking at the slightly rusty black wheels, but last night I returned to my car in an underground parking lot and thought it looked really sexy:

So naked black steel wheels are going to stay that way.