Comfort Indicator on Turn Signal Switch?

mixedgas=hauledass

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Beetle TDI pd
Hello,

I'm about to order a turn signal switch for my 2004 Beetle TDI PD. The best my local shops can do is around $150cdn. Went online and you can find them ranging from $40 on up. I have some questions that I hope someone can answer before I order though. Something I was asked when I was getting quotes was, "With comfort indicator or without?" Searched online, and found a post on NewBeetle forum that mentioned a "comfort blinker"...Tap the stalk and the blinker flashes 3x. Just to confirm, is this what comfort indicator refers to? My beetle does not have this function. If I were to get a turn signal switch that has a comfort indicator and install it in my car would the switch still work as a normal turn signal switch would? Or would the comfort indicator function have to wired up correctly in order to make the rest of the switch work? Also, when I search for switches, some of the lists show compatibility ending or beginning at the 2004 and 2005 model year. My thinking is this is due to the change from the ALH to the BEW engine... but would there really be a different turn signal switch to correspond with a different engine? This seems unlikely to me, but crazier things have happened. Helps appreciated.

Thanks

germerican

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The turn signal stalk doesn't have anything to do with the comfort blinker. The "Komfortblinker" is an oem+ kit that must be wired in. It's a few wires and a relay that is tied into the hazard switch.

The different switches for those model years is due to the MFA cluster iirc. The buttons to control the display on the MFA are on the turn signal stalk when equipped.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I had my 2002 Jetta, the car did not have that feature. But if you lightly held the turn signal switch up or down it would flash until you let go.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
When I had my 2002 Jetta, the car did not have that feature. But if you lightly held the turn signal switch up or down it would flash until you let go.
After driving a MkV for 6+ years, when I acquired a MkIV, one of my first modifications was to add the KomfortBlinker. I also have plans to add it to my Corrado. (it becomes a feature you miss quickly when it isn't there) It's definitely just a relay that ties into the hazard switch, I didn't have to change out the stalk.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Just about any car can made to do what you are referring.

The comfort blinker allows you to not have to do that finessing. All you do is push it down or up to cause the blinker to come on. It will then flash 3 times and turn off. I finally got it several years ago and I will admit it's nice to have.

To the OP, I don't know if at some point VW included this feature in the comfort control module so the proper stalk is needed to make this work? It's an add on to Mk4 Jettas that includes an additional relay in the kit so I would think not.

germerican

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Some more info on my previous post. I was wrong about the MFA controls. Those are on the wiper stalk in car with MFA.

The two different turn signal stalks are for the steering wheel controls. The steering wheel with controls for the radio and cruise have a different turn signal stalk.

Either way, neither will give you the comfort blinker on their own. For that, this wire-in kit is required.