Seventh-generation VW Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
it doesnt say it'll be in US in 2012/2013, it will probably launch in EU first and then 2 years later in US, sorta like they've always done,
so im sure we'll get at least '10 '11 '12 '13 years of MKVI here
thats just my guess.
and MKVI and VII look same to me, even though i know platforms are different

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
I believe that all Golfs are made in Wolfsburg, so I think that we will get them shortly after they go on sale in Europe. My MKVI Golf was produced in Wolfsburg.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
If the Passat is anything to go by, the Euro and NA variants (!) will be announced simultaneously. The two year time delay was and is unacceptable.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I suspect a Hybrid tdi would be way too expensive to make and sell.
I know I've seen this type of comment before but still do not understand why a diesel hybrid would be any more expensive to make and sell than a gasoline hybrid. I know that the current diesel engines are more expensivethan the gas, but is add in a hybrid functionallity going to increase the cost more than just the engine? Seems like a simple marketing push to marry the economy of a hybrid in town with the economy of the diesel on the highway.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's not that the hybrid system costs more on a diesel than it does with a gasoline engine. It's that the combined cost of the two is in a realm of diminishing returns that has yet to prove to be economically worthwhile except in large commercial vehicles.

Concept with fictional numbers: From a baseline gas-engine non-hybrid you spend $2000 to save 25% fuel by substituting a diesel, or you spend $2000 (or more ...) to save 25% fuel by hybridizing. Doing both still costs you $4000, but you don't save 50% ... you don't even save 25% of the 0.75 that remains after you save the first 25%, because part of the "saving" you do by "dieseling" (improving part-load or no-load operation) is the same "saving" that you do by "hybridizing" (improving part-load or no-load operation) and you can't double-account for this. Once you've eliminated one source of "waste" it is no longer there to be eliminated by doing something else ...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
However, the most economical part of the hybrid is the stop/start function while sitting in traffic. That's a different area of fuel savings from the diesel opperating at highway speeds. A direct comparison of 2011 JSW gives 31 mpg highway for the 2.5 and 42 mpg highway for the TDI. A 35% increase in fuel economy.

A Camry gas engine gives 22 mpg in city and the hybrid gives 31 mpg in city. A 41% increase in fuel economy. I will use the assumption that 75% of this savings is from start/stop, which would be a 30% increase in economy. There is also a listed 9% improvement on highway.

If we apply these numbers to a diesel hybrid, we could end up with mpg ratings around 40 in city and 46 on highway. At 15,000 miles per year with 60% city and 40% highway, this would result in overall fuel savings of 88 gallons. With diesel at $3.25 a gallon, that's a savings of $286 per year or $1900 for the 100,000 mile battery life expectancy. Ok, I had to work through all the numbers to see that perhaps this scenario doesn't make much financial sense. From GoFaster's comments of adding $4000 for both the diesel and hybrid, you would cover half the engine upgrade expenses over the 100,000 miles.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Last edited:

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
However, the most economical part of the hybrid is the stop/start function while sitting in traffic.
Nothing exclusive to a hybrid about start/stop. BMW's been applying it to gasoline and diesel engines (along with regenerative braking, if we want to throw in that "hybrid feature") since 2007 (gas) and 2010 (diesel).

path

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I believe that all Golfs are made in Wolfsburg, so I think that we will get them shortly after they go on sale in Europe. My MKVI Golf was produced in Wolfsburg.
all NA market Golf TDI/GTI are made in Wolfsburg. I don't know about the 2.5. Golfs are made in South Africa and China, perhaps some other places too...

if MKVII is a 2012 model in europe, i would bet my small finger they will be a 2014 model year introduction in NA...unless the new platform is so tremendously less expensive to manufacture that it makes sense to roll the new line worldwide.

Christ, weren't they still assembling new MK4s in Mexico until a couple of years ago?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
That's different. China has gotten Mark IV's as has Canada. They're called 'Classic' I think. They have slightly different front and back details, but definitely Mark IV's.

path

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
That's different. China has gotten Mark IV's as has Canada. They're called 'Classic' I think. They have slightly different front and back details, but definitely Mark IV's.
That's what I mean, Golfs are assembled in certian plants for specific markets.

Germany makes 6's, South Africa makes 6's...maybe some other places too.

Mexico makes 4's and isn't there a plant in Brazil that makes 4's too?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have to look at the retooling costs of some of those older factories. I mean it's only been a few years since both Mexico and Brazil stopped production of the original Beetle. For the decades of production of that car, the plant tooling costs must have been paid for many times over.

Cannonball

TDI
2011 Golf
There is the problem of decreased content in the MK VII Golf. Consider the MKVI Jetta and the "new" Passat both are steps back from preceding models. Future MK VIIs will cost less to assemble, have a cheaper interior, and have less powerful engines and likely cost more.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Golf City and Jetta City are the late Mk IVs in Canada; 2009 was the last MY for the Jetta City, and 2010 for the Golf City. The new Jetta undercuts the Jetta City base price and matches the Golf City base price (i.e. under $16k) thus making them redundant.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
There is the problem of decreased content in the MK VII Golf. Consider the MKVI Jetta and the "new" Passat both are steps back from preceding models. Future MK VIIs will cost less to assemble, have a cheaper interior, and have less powerful engines and likely cost more.
While the Jetta was a major step backwards in content level (or really just a continuation from 2006, where it all started), the upcoming Passat seems to be keeping the majority of the good stuff. While we still have not seen official option lists, the press releases seem to indicate things like leather, 4 wheel disc brakes, independent rear suspension, dual auto climate control, power seats, etc will be if not standard, at least available. The only step back (so far) seems to be the trunk hinges.

I am withholding judgement until they release the complete option list, but based on what I've read so far the only thing missing I wanted was HID lights. Who knows, they might still make the list. :D

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
While the Jetta was a major step backwards in content level (or really just a continuation from 2006, where it all started), the upcoming Passat seems to be keeping the majority of the good stuff. While we still have not seen official option lists, the press releases seem to indicate things like leather, 4 wheel disc brakes, independent rear suspension, dual auto climate control, power seats, etc will be if not standard, at least available. The only step back (so far) seems to be the trunk hinges.

I am withholding judgement until they release the complete option list, but based on what I've read so far the only thing missing I wanted was HID lights. Who knows, they might still make the list. :D
Apparently, no HID headlights. Also it loses the electronic parking brake but IMHO that is a good thing. It's the only thing I really can't stand on my B6 wagon.

The new Jetta GLI also loses the HIDs, which is a shame.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Apparently, no HID headlights. Also it loses the electronic parking brake but IMHO that is a good thing. It's the only thing I really can't stand on my B6 wagon.

The new Jetta GLI also loses the HIDs, which is a shame.
Yeah, I don't consider the manual parking brake a loss, either :D

But no HIDs with all the other high end stuff doesn't make sense.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Wait until the Euro Jetta makes an entrance. I have a feeling VW has a plan. Start simple and cheap, then ramp up to the top end later on. The GLI and TDI seem to point the way.

As for the GOLF (the subject of this thread)...

Last edited:

Troubled73

TDI
2011 Golf/Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Ay news on the next gen golf ? Is it going to be 2012 and I should wait till then to buy or should I buy a 2011 golf ?

Looking seriously at a new 2011 Golf Wagon in white.

Cheers.....

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
not like the current golf is "outdated"....
The MKVI chassis is a marked up MKV that was designed to be easier to mass produce reducing the manufacturing costs.

I do not believe that there is much refinement in the current chassis, when they go to a new one it will be around for a while.
Trends are showing the Golf may be the 4-door and the Scirocco may become the 2 door line. but that remains to be seen.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Nothing exclusive to a hybrid about start/stop. BMW's been applying it to gasoline and diesel engines (along with regenerative braking, if we want to throw in that "hybrid feature") since 2007 (gas) and 2010 (diesel).
BMW has been applying start/stop in diesels since 2007 (1-series mid-cycle refresh, introduction of the N47 engine). Mine has it.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
The MKVI chassis is a marked up MKV that was designed to be easier to mass produce reducing the manufacturing costs.

I do not believe that there is much refinement in the current chassis, when they go to a new one it will be around for a while.
Trends are showing the Golf may be the 4-door and the Scirocco may become the 2 door line. but that remains to be seen.
Does anyone know if the 2012 Beetle will have the MKVI chasis or the MKVII chasis?

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Does anyone know if the 2012 Beetle will have the MKVI chasis or the MKVII chasis?
It seems the plan is to move everything on the mid/small size to the MQB chassis platform. I haven't heard that specifically referred to as the 'MkVII', but it makes sense that it will be the root from which the MkVII designation springs.
The 2012 Audi A2, 2012 Passat are already built on MQB and the next version of the Golf is rumored to use that as well. I've searched around for some info to see whether the Beetle is using that platform. It seems likely, but I can't confirm it one way or another.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I'll take the 113 MPG one. I've got the money saved up and I'll be ready to buy when it's available.

If they don't sell it, they can't have my money. It's as simple as that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Says launch in late 2012, as a 2013, I would guess, in Europe. Which typically means 2014 in the US.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
2014 just happens to coincide nicely with when i think i'll be in the market for a new ride.. hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.