Official list of HPFP Failures

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
crownman---welcome to tdiclub, sorry it had to be under these circumstances. some have found metal in their fuel filter without HPFP failure, but i would still suggest looking into the 2 micron mods. he sells two different parts to reroute the fuel and filter it further. here is a link to his sales thread. join the queue by adding your request on the last page and maybe try sending him a PM. good luck and again welcome.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375803

Last edited:

380orchid

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Year:2010
Build Date:

Make/Model:
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: 106,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Go Gas
Additives: NO
Problem:HPFP failure. Metal in fuel canister. No rust or water in canister.
Dealer: Bob King (Wilmington NC)
Status: Dealer would not cover cost. They called their reginal Service Rep and he agreed to pay just for the fuel pump. VW customer care called an also said that they would only pay for the pump but not the labor and other parts. I will keep eveyone updated.
UPDATE: Well VWofA decided to cover the cost of fixing the failure. This includes the typical (HPFP, LPFP, lines, Injectors, tank flush.. etc) Total was close to 4,000. Their customer care guy was very rude and didn't want to deal. I was literally one day away from filing suit in district court when they called and agreed to cover the cost. A part of me actually wanted to take it to court. My attorney and I already established over 30 questions for discovery and this was only after a couple of hours. I have owned nothing buy Jetta's since 1998. I can honestly say that I won't own another one for a long time. VW is really loosing customers because of service an quality. For me, a HPFP failure, Airbag Control Module, Radio shot and electrical problems.. Total of over 6k in repairs if VW fixed them all..

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
While I understand your right to complain about a defective product, I don't think you should be complaining about getting your car fixed at 106k miles. Sorry you had to work at it, but you should at least give VWoA SOME credit for stepping up and paying for your HPFP failure.

Marks2011GolfTDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
2011 Golf TDI with 108,000 miles and bad HPFP and stuck fans

Here is the latest on my 2011 Golf TDI with 108,000 miles on it at the AutoNation dealership in Richardson, Tx. I have been dealing with Bob Kind, who knows all about the HPFP issues and VWusa is covering all the expenses with repairing the car. Bob provided me with a new Passat for a loaner to use. They are replacing everything from all 3 pumps to fuel lines to cleaning out the diesel tank, oh and new injectors.
on another note it looks like both radiator fans are not moving at all....stuck in place so I'm not sure what caused that and how much of a fix it is going to be to get those replaced or if it is a easy DIY.
tictakradio@yahoo.com

AudiCoop79

TDI
2011 Audi A3 Sportback TDI
I got an email from;
H. Kerrin Bressant, P.E.
Safety Defects Engineer / Federal Investigator
U.S. Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation

Asking about the issue and just following up. Nice to see something may actually be done regarding this.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I got an email from;
H. Kerrin Bressant, P.E.
Safety Defects Engineer / Federal Investigator
U.S. Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation

Asking about the issue and just following up. Nice to see something may actually be done regarding this.
I have received an email from this individual as well. I have responded back with all the information that I have. I kinda got the idea this particular issue is her assignment from the gist of it without her explicitly saying that.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Year: 2009
Build Date: (need to double check)
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 78,818
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell (mostly), Chevron, Independent (occasionally)
Additives: none
Problem: HPFP failed, highway commute, flashing glow plug light, loss of power, in heavy commute traffic.
Dealer: Winn VW, Newark, CA
Status: Last conversation with dealer on 07/16/14, HPFP on order, VWA customer case # assigned. PENDING regional service rep VWA's CC adjudication .
In my mind, there are major safety issues in that there were IMMEDIATE ignition and power losses on a 4/5 lanes each way congested commute freeway.

UPDATE:

Code P0087 Fuel Rail System Pressure Too Low, P0088 Fuel Rail System Pressure Too High. R/R Pump 03L 130851AX, 1KO127434A Filter Elem.

I am not sure if these two are related or not (does not appear to be) , but the ignition switch was found defective (codes thrown for intermittent shorting) . R/R ignition switch 1KO905849B. This battery lasted 5 years (after testing BAD), so they R/R'd it.

It was mentioned in passing, this fuel pump repair was covered (100%) under "Goodwill".

Last edited:

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Year: 2009
Build Date: (need to double check)
Mileage: 78818
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell (mostly) Chevron
Problem: HPFP failed, highway commute, flashing glow plug light, loss of power.
Dealer: Winn VW, Newark, CA
Status: Last conversation with dealer on 07/16/14, HPFP on order, VWA customer case # assigned. PENDING region service rep VWA .
Yikes, sorry to hear about the failure. Hope the regional guy steps up and gets everything covered.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Ruking,
Please be sure to report your failure to the NHTSA, and inform VWOA that you did so.
I am not sure why the link for reporting has not been posted on this thread. I would hate for mine to end up a out of the park "foul ball", so to speak.

So yes, IF the regional VW service representation does not adjudicate this, they can make no claims that they were not given a fair shot to make this right.

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Call from my dealer yesterday, they said the job is almost complete with the exception of a "hose" that is shipping from Canada. I double checked that everything is covered and he assured me I had zero out of pocket costs on this deal, 100% covered. I probed him for a bit, I ask him if there was any indication as to what caused the failure. He said we'll never know, aka it's widespread and VAG doesn't know what to do about it. When I first dropped it off, the shop guy said don't buy Kroger diesel. This guy basically said you can't control the fueling stations whether you buy it at Kroger or Shell or wherever. I've inferred that the additive package doesn't have much to do with it. Furthermore, looking through these posts on the failures, some are using additives, some are not. Mileage is all over the place. It's just a bad design and they can go bad at any moment.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just picked up the car from the dealer. After they said we'd never know about the source of failure, they told me there was gasoline contamination. I find that difficult to believe as I had about 200 miles on a fillup at this point. Considering having the fuel tested since I have the same fuel in jugs.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Just picked up the car from the dealer. After they said we'd never know about the source of failure, they told me there was gasoline contamination. I find that difficult to believe as I had about 200 miles on a fillup at this point. Considering having the fuel tested since I have the same fuel in jugs.
Please do. Glad you got your car back but sounds like a blanket statement they might be giving for any HPFP failure which we know is BS.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Michael Levine

TDI
2010 Cup Edition
Year: 2010
Build Date: June 2010
Mileage: 89,500
Diesel Fuel Source: Major Brands
Problem: HPFP failed, highway commute, flashing glow plug light, loss of power. After leaving highway, vehicle stalled and would not start. Towed to dealer.
Dealer: Hudson Valley VW, Wappingers Falls, NY
Status: HPFP and damaged fuel system components replaced. VW covered the cost of repairs. Process took approximately 10 days.

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Scanning through the thread there have only been two 2013 model cars reported here. Were pumps updated?

Also, has anyone that deleted their DPF and EGR had a failure and been repaired under warranty?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
There have been updates to the pumps fairly early on with regards manufacturing processes used to coat the internals of the pumps.

I couldn't tell you though if there have been more significant changes on the 2013-2014 MY pumps.

Michael, please be sure to report your failure to the NHTSA.

layer8

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
Build date: 04/10
Make/Model: Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Mileage: 37,832
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell, Hess, Wawa (all very high diesel turnover stations due to proximity to major highway's and constant use by trucks)
Additives: None
Problem: HPFP failure, 40-45 MPH driving, sudden loss of power and car shutoff with no warning signs on dash indicators prior to shut off. Unable to restart car, towed to dealership.
Dealer: Three County Volkswagen, Lyndhurst, NJ
Status: Car in shop for approximately 11 days. Although car out of warranty, fixed with authorization from VW of America as a "warranty" repair at no charge to me.
Bad fuel not an issue (tested). HPFP and all major fuel systems/lines cleaned or replaced.
Good dealership experience. Keeping all receipts for all fuel fill ups moving forward.
Approximately 1k miles since repair and no issues so far.

'02 VW Jetta GL (193k)

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have saved all my fuel receipts but I've decided for what? I can't seem to find a lab to test my fuel for gasoline contamination and the station hasn't responded to my concerns.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I have saved all my fuel receipts but I've decided for what? I can't seem to find a lab to test my fuel for gasoline contamination and the station hasn't responded to my concerns.
Maybe send them a copy of the repair bill (granted, you didn't have to pay for it) and statement from VW that it was contaminated fuel. Have any lawyer friends that would put it on legal paper just for effect? I mean, it's odd that they would completely blow you off here but it might help get them to at least look into it.

I wonder how much this lab actually charges for testing... Give them a call and of course, Google for others, maybe there is a lower cost option like Blackstone's oil testing. http://polarislabs.com/what-you-test/complete-test-list/

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After I thought about it a little, I was more skeptical of the gasoline comments because those comments were not on the ticket. :-/ I would like to have the fuel tested irrespective of that aspect.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
After I thought about it a little, I was more skeptical of the gasoline comments because those comments were not on the ticket. :-/ I would like to have the fuel tested irrespective of that aspect.
I totally agree with that man, I would (hopefully won't have to) do the same so let us know if and who you get to test. Thx

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Everyone seems concerned about gasoline contamination. Has anyone ever tested the lubricity of the fuel after an HPFP failure has occurred?

What WOULD be very interesting would be testing the lubricity of ALL fuel samples of failed HPFPs.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
Everyone seems concerned about gasoline contamination. Has anyone ever tested the lubricity of the fuel after an HPFP failure has occurred?

What WOULD be very interesting would be testing the lubricity of ALL fuel samples of failed HPFPs.
I'm pretty sure that's what they are talking about. The theory is that the gasoline contamination destroys the lubricity of the fuel, leading to friction wear and failure. So when you see 'gasoline contamination', lubricity IS what they are talking about.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think so. They're only worrying about cross-contamination with gasoline.

I'm talking about supposedly street-legal diesel that is under additized, which could be proven by a real HFRR test.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think so. They're only worrying about cross-contamination with gasoline.

I'm talking about supposedly street-legal diesel that is under additized, which could be proven by a real HFRR test.
I think both of the situations end in a lose for us because if the additive package isn't right, the lubricity is going to be low and if the diesel fuel is contaminated, it's going to be catastrophic for the fragile Bosch pump and high pressure combo we have.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They also told me no additives but I think this furthers the need to use them actually.

mgmetalworks

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Build date: Not sure of build date but purchased in March of '10
Make/Model: Jetta TDI Sedan
Mileage: 91,700
Diesel Fuel Source: Fred Meyer Newberg, OR
Problem: HPFP failure, sudden really loud ticking sound, flashing glow plug light came on, check engine light came on soon after then car died, had to be towed.
Dealer:Salem VW, Salem, Oregon
Status: Authorization from VW to do full repair at no cost to us. Currently at the dealer, towed in on Monday, will get car back Thursday.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
mgmetalworks, glad VW is covering the repair for you. Be sure to report your failure to the NHTSA on their website.

lnarachi

TDI
09 Jetta TDI, 2010 Audi A3 TDI
Build Date: n/a
Make/Model:AUDI A3
Mileage: 101,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Valero Diesel
Problem: glow plug light came on, engine died, wouldn't restart. Pushed it to mechanic and was diagnosed as HPFP failure - towed to Audi of Stevens Creek...mechanic very nice advocated for me with Audi but wasn't able to get anything from them. Filed insurance claim, filed complaint with NHTSA.
Dealer: Steven Creek Audi (san jose, ca)
Status: Audi refused to help, they want $8900.00 to repair - filed insurance claim

colekicker

TDI
2010 JSW w/ DSG HPFP failure at 79K, 137K and clogged DPF
Build Date: n/a
Make/Model:AUDI A3
Mileage: 101,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Valero Diesel
Problem: glow plug light came on, engine died, wouldn't restart. Pushed it to mechanic and was diagnosed as HPFP failure - towed to Audi of Stevens Creek...mechanic very nice advocated for me with Audi but wasn't able to get anything from them. Filed insurance claim, filed complaint with NHTSA.
Dealer: Steven Creek Audi (san jose, ca)
Status: Audi refused to help, they want $8900.00 to repair - filed insurance claim
Don't back down. Call customer care. Explain you will be filing NHTSA report. Get evidence of the shavings from the HPFP. Get a fuel sample if you can. Don't back down and keep the pressure up!