First Waxing?

tdibugman

Veteran Member
Any thoughts on how long you should wait before waxing a new car?
My Aunt just called all ecstatic - next week she is taking delivery of an '02 Jetta TDI, 5 speed, Baltic Blue (that blue/green color), Cream Leather, Monsoon, etc. I looked at this car last week while at the dealer and almost bought it myself - its beautiful.
I was wondering about waxing it though - I honestly don't remember how long I waited with our two cars.
Thanks

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Wax whenever you are ready. Factory paint is cured in an oven and the car has to be at least 8 - 10 weeks old.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
And the dealer already waxed it if they followed the VW specified prep procedure.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
She'll love the color. My baltic Green jetta is beautiful. I get compliments on the color everywhere i go.

Enjoy

EAR

famous

Veteran Member
Mines Baltic Green/Creme Leather also.I wanted the usual Silver/black,but when I saw this.....this has class !!! It turns out the silver/black combo is very...common...like toilet seats,everybody has one.

MIA

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 09 JSW
Wax immediatly! The first time a bird poops on your car it will eat away at the clear coat. My girlfriend learned this the hard way. It was on the paint for only a couple hours.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: MIA ]

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
hey, we got nastier birds than y'all do: my baltic green 2001 got bird poop on it the day after I waxed it, and the wax didn't save the paint from attack by the bird poop. No color loss, but you can see the outline of the etching of the clear coat if the light is right.

Preacher Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by naturist:
hey, we got nastier birds than y'all do: my baltic green 2001 got bird poop on it the day after I waxed it, and the wax didn't save the paint from attack by the bird poop. No color loss, but you can see the outline of the etching of the clear coat if the light is right.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. Waxed it, but bird droppings still left marks on the paint. Subsequent cleaning with automotive stuff did little to cure the problem.

Get 'em off there quick!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
If the dealer waxes it for prep, why are many of you suggesting that it's a good idea to wax it again? The prep waxing makes sense, but repeated waxing on new, softer paint doesn't sound like a good idea.

Getting bird poop off as quickly as possible makes perfect sense. I suggest using something like Quik-n-Brite to loosen the stuff off. It's very mild, but melts the stuff right off.

Unfortunately, the down side of this beautiful color is that it suffers from the same problem other darker colors have - they show imperfections easily.

Keep it as clean as you can. That's your best defense. Then wax it in a few months.

If you haven't tried NuFinish before, it's pretty cool. It bonds to the paint and forms a very hard shell that lasts a full year. Really.

justme

Veteran Member
I would certainly wax it, even if the dealer did. I'd use a good, non-abrasive wax like Blitz or Klasse's sealant glaze (but not yet the cleaner glaze).

MIA

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 09 JSW
The bird poop on my girlfriends car was on there for 4 hours max. After cleaning it you could see the outline in the paint. There is a good chance your dealer won't wax the car before you take delivery, if they do it is probably a quick sprits with sealent wax.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Meguiars Clear Coat Prep & Swirl Remover works like a charm on bird stuff, and dried bug stains as well. I used this swirl remover yesterday and it cleaned up some stains I though were permanent.

[the unit]

Veteran Member
TDI
sold - 2002 Jetta TDI
I've had bad results with NuFinish on my black 2k1, it left these odd shadows in the paint that had to be buffed out. I've had better results with Zymol... any similar experiences?

Dave Searle

I tried a Turtle wax especially for black cars on my 944, what a mess!!! I use either Nu finish or Raindance, about 10 years ago Consumers Digest or Canadian Consumer, I can't remember which.. Tested about 10 popular car waxes including the expensive ones, Raindance lasted the longest and Nu Finish a close second. And guess what? they are easy to apply and don't leave a mess.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Searle:
.... about 10 years ago Consumers Digest .... Tested about 10 popular car waxes including the expensive ones, Raindance lasted the longest....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I read the same article and used RainDance only, until about 5 or 6 years ago when they retested and put RainDance as "average."
Zaino Show Polish www.zainobros.com was recommended here a few years ago. It's super, but distributed like Amway/Amsoil/Shaklee and takes some planning to get. So I started using Meguairs Gold Class liquid car wax. Works great and is very easy.
BTW - Zaino was easy to use as well.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: SteveS ]