Am I killing my car?

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I've had my '98 Jetta for, I don't know how long.
I'm not driving it like I used to. In fact I now work six miles from work on a 25~35mph road. I don't think my car is liking it much.
Is it time to sell and go gas? :eek:
When I do go somewhere, I fall in love with it all over again. You know the score, 42mpg in town with the A/C on full.

What say the hive?

:confused:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Were it me, I'd just make it up w/some spirited freeway runs on the weekends. Can't see throwing the baby out w/the bathwater, so to speak...

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Short trips are bad for any car but probably worse for gas cars than for diesels.
Interesting Matt, why do you say that? Oh, to the OP, I short trip 4 miles each way to work. I just baby it the whole time (kills me) because it warms up about the time I'm rolling into work. During winter I plug in the frost heater just for a warm engine in the mornings :) And the flogging begins every time it's up to temp :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The turbo is probably "cutting out" because of a problem with the induction system. Either your intake manifold is terribly clogged, or the boost line to the ECU has rotted out. Poke around and check all of your vacuum lines while you're at it.

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
The turbo is probably "cutting out" because of a problem with the induction system. Either your intake manifold is terribly clogged, or the boost line to the ECU has rotted out. Poke around and check all of your vacuum lines while you're at it.
On the "to do" list.

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
Interesting Matt, why do you say that?...
Diesels, being direct injection, have much better fuel control and leave far less unburned fuel to get past the rings when cold. Also because they run so lean there is a lot less moisture getting in the oil and less acid the oil needs to neutralize. Some gas cars will sludge up real bad even on 3K OCI if they are driven consistently on very short trips. I don't think I've ever seen a sludged TDI.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
I'd keep it. Make the time to drive it like you stole it every now and then. Go for a nice long drive on the freeway, or a twisty back road once every month or two. You could ride a bicycle to work.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
You could also install a by-pass oil filter system to take care of any side effects the short trips would have on your oil.

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I really wanted to ride my bicycle to and from work but if you saw the road I have to take, well it's scary enough in a car. No shoulders, half the fog lines are gone, twisty, no street lights, very bumpy, 35 mph all the way.

by-pass oil filter system
Can you elaborate on this for me?