Truck stops, truck vs car fill prices?

cowgirlkaboom

TDI
2011 Golf
Hi,

Maybe this has been this way for a while, or its an Oregon problem, but I noticed something odd at the truckstop over the weekend. With my last three diesel vehicles it *seemed* like the truck diesel (not PUC) cash price and the pump on the "car side" normally were the same. This weekend I noticed at Pilot and Flying J off the I-5 it was $2.44 non-PUC for trucks and $2.79 both cash. I ended up going an few exits down and got it for $2.59. Ok, not a huge deal but I'm curious if this discrepancy has existed for a while or is this new? I'm thinking about switching all my vehicles/farm stuff over to diesel..

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Public Utilities Commision. I think that they don't pay the road taxes up front, but at the end of the year based on miles travelled in the state.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Ok, now I think I understand - That pricing seems reversed, the non-state-resident fuel should be more expensive if the residents are paying taxes directly at the end of the year. Florida was making noises about trying a system like that for the road taxes a few years ago, but it died on the vine when it became known that they were going to be charging drivers for the actual miles driven (ok, I guess...) without actually removing any of the existing state-based add-on taxes already on the fuel. (The answer was W.T.F???? OH HELL NO! from the populace)

If the difference in Oregon is just based on filling at the truck islands instead of the car islands to save 40 cents per gallon... I'd be out at my TDI with a dremel cleaning out that restrictor in the fuel neck.

Oh wait - I already removed that stupid thing a long time ago, right after I bought the TDI! :D

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Oregon diesel prices are all over the map, our local supermarket (Kroger owned) had diesel for .79 cents a gallon less than all the truck stops- seen 2 50' semis in line for a fill up-trailer and all. They spiked the prices back to $2.49 yesterday due to to many big rigs clogging up the lines.
I however at least waited until 10PM when they were slow to buy my 390 gallons at this amazing price.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I wish I could get ULSD for $2 / gallon. Last night I filled up for $2.60 / gallon (cheapest place within 10 miles of home) at a Hess/Wilco.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Hopefully the average income compensates for that $4 a US gallon pricing- Wife is driving 110 miles a day for $35K a year :mad:

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Yeah, sure. Just move there and find out how much all that 'free' stuff costs. :rolleyes::eek:
You really should do that math yourself too. When you factor in all the different ways Americans are working JUST FOR INSURANCE, something like 30+% of our income is wasted to insurance company profit margins.

Here's an example:

2 cars - .125 %
House - .02%
Medical/dental/vision insurance (does not take into account co-pays and deductables) 38%
Disablity income insurance - 19%

This is what comes directly out of my after tax dollars and does not include what my employer pays on my behalf instead of paying the money to me. For instance unemployment insurance, workers comp insurance, employer's portion of my social security and medicare insurance etc. There are also taxes taken out of my paycheck for social security insurance and medicare insurance.

I am also told by the doctor that if his malpractice premiums were in line with his actual risk factor, he could charge so much less that my copays and deductables would disappear ( and because we always end up paying the maximum out of pocket on my plan that is another 9.3% of my income)

Insurance costs me so much that if my house were not paid for, and my uncle came to live with us both for the care and social aspect, but also so we could help each other financially, I probably would be living in the car and keeping a gym membership for the showers.

Meanwhile, in Canada and other actually-civilized nations... Yes, the taxes "SEEM" higher, but if you were to get the same level of coverage here, it would cost you over 80% of your income. You get much more and they can use the bargaining power of the national government to reduce the individual risk by spreading it equally across the entire population.