Installing a Boost/EGT gauge.

2bitthugs

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Just a quick question about how to power the gauge. Cars a 2006 Jetta TDI with a McNally Boost/EGT combo vent gauge. Iv got all my other wires run and grounded but I'm not 100% sure where to power it from and how? Would be nice to have it powered all the time then be able to have it light up with the rest of the dash, but not a big deal.

Thanks
Pat

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
On my gauges, if I remember right, there were two wires. One for lights, one for power to the gauge.

Run the lights wire to the headlight switch. Identify one of the wires that is powered when the switch is on, then splice into that wire for the gauge. Now the gauge will come on with other interior lights, and will get brighter/lighter with the interior light dimmer.

For the other power, there is a empty fuse on the fuse panel that is powered with the switch, or I believe you can get power from the cigarette lighter by the shifter. It should be switched.

2bitthugs

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
On my gauges, if I remember right, there were two wires. One for lights, one for power to the gauge.

Run the lights wire to the headlight switch. Identify one of the wires that is powered when the switch is on, then splice into that wire for the gauge. Now the gauge will come on with other interior lights, and will get brighter/lighter with the interior light dimmer.

For the other power, there is a empty fuse on the fuse panel that is powered with the switch, or I believe you can get power from the cigarette lighter by the shifter. It should be switched.
My gauge only has one red wire for power. Is the empty fuse the one on the top row?

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
If it's the gauge I think it is, I think you only have one power source and the gauge will be lit all the time, and lighting level adjusts automatically via a sensor. If that's the case then wire to a source that is only on with the key in the on position, such as cigarette ligher, etc...

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
My gauge only has one red wire for power. Is the empty fuse the one on the top row?
I can't remember which one it is.. Look on here and vortex for guides on hard wiring a radar sensor or gps - they often use this fuse.
Now that I think of it mine is wired to the cig lighter. I did the middle-dash 3 gauge pod, so it was closer/easier.