www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old September 1st, 2011, 10:42   #1306
99Jet
Veteran Member

TDI(s): n/a

I just test drove a 2012 Highline 2.5L (no TDI available). Nice car. Fit and finish looks fine and it has outstanding passenger room. One thing I did notice was the wind noise from the side mirrors at highway speeds. It my books, that's a bigger fault than the lack of rear vents. Maybe I'm just spoiled with the bank vault-like quietness of the Enclave.

I had my heart set on getting back into a TDI, but I think I'm going to sit out for this round and get a 2010 Passat Wagon. At least I know what I'm getting into, and for less.
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:40   #1307
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Marc,
Comparing your ultra-quiet Enclave to the 2012 Passat, how much louder is road noise at highway speeds? I've read a wide range of opinions.
MyAvocation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:42   #1308
99Jet
Veteran Member

Unbelievable! I called the salesman to tell him I'll take the 2010 Passat Wagon - got voicemail. Turns out he was in the process of selling it to someone else. 30 minutes too late. Oh well. Things happen for a reason...maybe a TDI is in my future after all.

@MyAvocation: The car itself is fairly quiet w.r.t. drivetrain/tire noise. The 2.5L Highline I drove had 17" Continentals on it - not sure if that's the same for the US. While I wasn't actively looking for sounds, the wind noise from the driver side mirror stood out, more prominent north of 120km/h. I'd say that the B6 is quieter than the B7. Neither as quiet as the Enclave.

If I do end up with a 2012, I'll take comfort in knowing that I have a practical work around for the wind noise problem - Fender audio.
Old September 1st, 2011, 15:02   #1309
eatpasta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

the wife and I just ordered our Passat.... we are looking at January for delivery!

Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:52   #1310
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Jet View Post
Unbelievable! I called the salesman to tell him I'll take the 2010 Passat Wagon - got voicemail. Turns out he was in the process of selling it to someone else. 30 minutes too late. Oh well. Things happen for a reason...maybe a TDI is in my future after all.
@MyAvocation: The car itself is fairly quiet w.r.t. drivetrain/tire noise. The 2.5L Highline I drove had 17" Continentals on it - not sure if that's the same for the US. While I wasn't actively looking for sounds, the wind noise from the driver side mirror stood out, more prominent north of 120km/h. I'd say that the B6 is quieter than the B7. Neither as quiet as the Enclave.
If I do end up with a 2012, I'll take comfort in knowing that I have a practical work around for the wind noise problem - Fender audio.
I think the new Jetta has been having wind noise issues with the side mirrors as well. I hope they work out a solution. I had a B6 wagon (2007) definitely a nice car and quiet, with an engine that is much smoother than either the 2.5 or TDI. Gets decent fuel consumption too if you don't beat on it. At 100 km/h I was getting around 6.5 L/100 km, better than advertised. It would however jump up quite a bit in winter.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:00   #1311
verylongdrive
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf,2001
Fuel Economy: 43/46/50
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
the wife and I just ordered our Passat.... we are looking at January for delivery!

I just don't understand that. Even given a 3 weeks to transport the car, and 3 weeks from build start to QA (both ludicrously generous, I would think), this would mean they're backlogged with ordered cars until mid-November, which, at whatever fraction of 150k cars a year they're running now, would be that fraction of 30k ordered cars. Not likely.

I thought when you order a car and a matching unassigned car is not already being built/shipped, your spec gets in line to start being built within days. Is that not so? IS there a need to age orders before getting on them?
verylongdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:40   #1312
99Jet
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
I think the new Jetta has been having wind noise issues with the side mirrors as well. I hope they work out a solution. I had a B6 wagon (2007) definitely a nice car and quiet, with an engine that is much smoother than either the 2.5 or TDI. Gets decent fuel consumption too if you don't beat on it. At 100 km/h I was getting around 6.5 L/100 km, better than advertised. It would however jump up quite a bit in winter.
I found another low mileage Passat Wagon in great shape and should have it next week. Warranty till 2016 too! I'll be happy if I realize that kind of mileage. Pic:

I noticed on myturbodiesel.com that the Euro-Passat has slightly different mirrors than the American-Passat. I wonder if the noise is found on it too.
One reviewer said it was noticeable after 60mph but also commented on the road noise which I didn't really hear. He was running on Hankook, not Continentals that I had. Popular Mechanics had a similar note.
Good luck to all those who are getting in a 2012 - it's one hell of a car that will no doubt sell well. If it's two things I wish my new/old 2010 had, it's the 2012's rear leg room and a TDI engine!
Old September 5th, 2011, 19:35   #1313
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

We test drove the Passat today, as well as the Jetta sedan and Golf. I would say that the Passat was the quietest of all but did not feel any real difference in road noise. My wife liked how she sat up higher in the passat (more seat cushion height?)and the bigger mirrors. Even at 70+, I did not notice any noise from the mirrors. She did not like having to look over the large headrests in the backseat and thought they blocked her righthand blind spot. (I thought she never checked blind spots!) All in all, she liked the Golf best and will probably sign the papers to replace the CR-V this week.

As for supply, VW South in Charlotte, said they have 18 coming in starting September 15 with about half of them presold. So I am guessing that the January delivery for eatpasta's passat is probably to make sure that all preorders have been filled and that each dealer has at least a half dozen sitting on the lot for immediate sale. Maybe eatpasta has a color configuration that VW hasn't actually put together yet.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:58   #1314
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Looking at one of these cars in the flesh, I do have a concern about the fuel system.

The fuel system routing, if it hasn't been posted in this thread already, is this:

Tank -> filter dirty side
Filter clean side -> HPFP
HPFP bleed -> tank
HPFP -> rail bleed -> filter (knowing VW, it's probably the clean side, but don't know.)

Note that there's no way for rail bleed (which is some very hot fuel) to get to the tank. Therefore, there's no thermal management of that fuel.

I wonder what will happen to fuel temperatures on these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 21:47   #1315
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40
Default Rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Jet View Post
I found another low mileage Passat Wagon in great shape and should have it next week. Warranty till 2016 too! I'll be happy if I realize that kind of mileage. Pic:

I noticed on myturbodiesel.com that the Euro-Passat has slightly different mirrors than the American-Passat. I wonder if the noise is found on it too.
One reviewer said it was noticeable after 60mph but also commented on the road noise which I didn't really hear. He was running on Hankook, not Continentals that I had. Popular Mechanics had a similar note.
Good luck to all those who are getting in a 2012 - it's one hell of a car that will no doubt sell well. If it's two things I wish my new/old 2010 had, it's the 2012's rear leg room and a TDI engine!

I really like those 18"
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:26   #1316
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Looking at one of these cars in the flesh, I do have a concern about the fuel system.

The fuel system routing, if it hasn't been posted in this thread already, is this:

Tank -> filter dirty side
Filter clean side -> HPFP
HPFP bleed -> tank
HPFP -> rail bleed -> filter (knowing VW, it's probably the clean side, but don't know.)

Note that there's no way for rail bleed (which is some very hot fuel) to get to the tank. Therefore, there's no thermal management of that fuel.

I wonder what will happen to fuel temperatures on these cars.
Good point, maybe they've taken into account that if you're generating enough heat in the fuel rail, you're also using that fuel through the injectors instead of bleeding it off, and that'll be the big difference between the CJAA and this engine.

Or that the HPFP bleed is much less when the engine's cold, and when everything heats up, the ECU shifts the majority of bleeding to the HPFP when possible to use the tank as giant heat sink.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:26   #1317
abctdi
Veteran Member

Mirror wind noise;
My 2005 has it. It does not bother me any more.
Some new cars have those bulbous headlights that deflect the air over the mirrors, but they are fugly.
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 22:07   #1318
Imelda T Green

TDI(s): None Yet
Arrow Banned so Watch what You Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrel H Green View Post

My exact thoughts my friend ! Rather well said!

Who cares if the first early or even later Passats have under seat vents IF they are not going
to buy one, and we all know that a certain individual from Ohio (?) is not in
any postion to do so, having 'claimed' to recently purchased a TDI Golf!

This same person recently called me a troll! Check out
all my posts and when I first joined this forum.

D

Comments by both of us got us banned .

Shame shame!

D
Imelda T Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:20   #1319
breind01

Quote:
Originally Posted by verylongdrive View Post
I just don't understand that. Even given a 3 weeks to transport the car, and 3 weeks from build start to QA (both ludicrously generous, I would think), this would mean they're backlogged with ordered cars until mid-November, which, at whatever fraction of 150k cars a year they're running now, would be that fraction of 30k ordered cars. Not likely.

I thought when you order a car and a matching unassigned car is not already being built/shipped, your spec gets in line to start being built within days. Is that not so? IS there a need to age orders before getting on them?
We ordered our 2012 Passat TDI SEL on 9/8 and was told to expect delivery sometime around mid October. We ordered the Opera Red and wonder if anyone has seen this vehicle in this color? If anyone has seen this color other than the color swatch, please tell us what you think.
breind01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:37   #1320
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I have. It looks great. Similar to the Red Pearl in the '96 Passat, but a bit richer. I don't usually like red cars, but this color is a winner.