www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 14th, 2018, 20:23   #16
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

yea having a car just sitting around is usually, &easily bad; usually for it. and not having it insured makes it tend to just sit. i start mine and drive,,a bit, each couple of months. helps over all i think.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 20:26   #17
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta SS View Post
I tried to sell mine 3 years ago asking $2000 since I had just put new tires and bilsteins on. Garage kept, no rust that I can find. Got one offer for $1200.

Maybe it's just my location, but anyway glad It didn't sell.
how much you want for her now? id think about it, if its still could be for sale.
if so, its possible i can make it down there to get,,a big if, but possible.
Old April 15th, 2018, 12:31   #18
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

I've been driving the '98 since I turned the '14 in last year. Took about $1200 of that money and got a respray, heater core, tb, battery, & fresh fluids to get it back on the road.

Once I get back to making some better money I'm going to get something new again. I'm usually 300 miles from home working, and having an older vehicle like this is a risk.

I'll give you first dibs.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 13:19   #19
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

let me know. may consider,
Old April 15th, 2018, 16:02   #20
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Any MK3 that has less than 100k on it I'd be sure to make sure the word "total" is on the odometer- if not, add 300k to the odometer.....
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 24k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 100hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 423k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 06:10   #21
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny View Post
Any MK3 that has less than 100k on it I'd be sure to make sure the word "total" is on the odometer- if not, add 300k to the odometer.....
Worth quoting.

There was a '98 TDI on my local craigslist a year or two ago that was posted as only having 60k miles on it for a decent price. I checked the pictures and noticed total missing from the odometer display. I didn't even bother contacting the person about the car. It was suddenly way overpriced.
Old April 16th, 2018, 08:29   #22
JohnTso
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/42

Funny that this thread came up. I have a 98 Jetta TDI sitting in my shop. I had just done the timing belt and changed coolant. Took it out for a test drive and a brake line burst.

Car has has solid rockers and strut towers, but floor pan needs work... again! Too bad, because the AHU is a strong runner @ 170k.
JohnTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:48   #23
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

60k whether or not true, isnt necessarily a good running car, at this point getting old for such lo mileage; for one. not to say w/a missing odometer, no telling, on that and more, take your chance. id quit on that one too.

as far as john, ive done some floor work, depends on which car, havent recently on 'newer' models. if everything is together and in order, get your floor straightened out, i remove as much as i can, everything if i can. get floor exposed, put up on stands and make a go at it. before finishing, depending on how involved total 'fix' is, i get formula 301 on all exposed metal, wash off, and finish off. the rest, motor and such may be good for a while,,